What to wear under a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What to wear under a skirt?

Post by Kirbstone »

You won't believe this, Carl,

We have a U3A Christmas party coming up next Tuesday, for which I have to organize and accompany the music. After mulled wine & mince pies there will be a sequence of short acts by some of those present. MOH and a trusted lady friend have decided on a worded skit on Trump to the tune of 'Donald where's yerr Troosahs', a song popularized by Andy Stewart in the 50s & 60s, requiring the singer to wear a kilt.

She's borrowing it for that!!

Tom

P.S., Perhaps I ought to have posted this under the 'Difficulties with partners' thread. :idea:
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:She's borrowing [my kilt] for that!!
So she's going to filch your new kilt for theatrical effect? What, pray tell, are you going to show up in? Your skivvies?

Tell her to buy her own ruddy kilt! :lol:

(There is much potential for outright comedy here.)

Best of luck with the party. I wish I could be there. I'm sure it'll be wonderful, as that's what happens when friends get together.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

Kirbstone wrote:I can do better than that!

Inside the shoes I put socks of varying lengths, or heights, depending on how you describe them. They make most shoes more comfortable to wear. :D

Today I received delivery of a 'praiper' Scotland Shop 8-yarder in McKenzie Modern. I tried it on at lunch time and it demonstrates immediately what the real kiltmakers' skill is and where the money goes. Needless to say it fit like a very warm glove.

To go under it I now need matching flashes for my white kilt hose....or socks.

Tom
Hello
Some very good-looking and inexpensive flashes can be made from gross green ribbon and inch wide elastic.
They are easy to make and are far less expensive than store-bought.
I agree A proper kilt made to fit is a wondrous garment to wear.

Slainte'
Bill and sir Brinkley the exuberant!
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Tom,
Well done for getting a full 8 yarder! I'm surprised that matching flashes were not included. Most of the GB (Scottish) suppliers seem to include these if a custom kilt is ordered.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I looked in the package and there were none there. Mean so-and-sos. With a bespoke Cameron Clan kilt bought some years ago now (for a wedding) the flashes were included. That was from a different Scottish supplier.

This one is in the lightest 10-oz. wool and it still weighs plenty.

Tom
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I guess have some made for it. In any case, I'd be more tempted to use navy blue kilt hose or maybe black with it... Would make the shoes blend in better. The only time I wore off-white hose with my MacKenzie Modern (or my other 9-yarders) was when I'd wear sneakers with the outfit.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

trainspotter48 wrote:Tom,
Well done for getting a full 8 yarder! I'm surprised that matching flashes were not included. Most of the GB (Scottish) suppliers seem to include these if a custom kilt is ordered.
MOST any upstanding merchant who makes custom kilts has material left over to fabricate a set of flashes.
With about a couple minutes of work with a sewing machine and two elastic bands hidden under the folds of the cable knit sox to hold the flashes one is good to go.
Add a tad bit more material and a bow tie can be made to boot.
I would be apt to criticize a kilt maker for not making these necessary items after one has spent a small fortune for the 8+ yard tank (kilt) with multiple pleats be
they knife or box even an impressive double box pleat ***Photo from Website of Lady Crystel

http://www.lady-chrystel-kilts.com/home2.html
Double Box Pleated Kilt, Robertson Hunting Modern tartan from Marton Mills Jura 16oz
Ah the backfield in motion of the double box pleat is a scene not to be missed !

Even SportKilt makes flashes for some of their tartans although these are inexpensive extras.
For some tartans one can wear a bold solid color or a variety of sorts - search ebay for KILT FLASHES
LINK:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... s&_sacat=0

Browse for item # 361812119041

There is so much to learn about kilt wearing just as there is about the Kilts kissing cousin the Skirt !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you RM, for that useful E-bay link.

I'll get a pair of flashes from them.

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ammendment.

I was about to hang the 8-yarder up for the first time by its proper kilt hanging loops when I discovered a little money pouch at right front And guess what was in there....Two McKenzie flashes!
No instructions. Kilt buyers are supposed to know where to look for these things!

Presumably the little hidden pouch is there for when some mugger makes off with yerr Sporran! So you simply extract your hidden Kalashnikov and take him out :bom:

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've been thinking about this for a time now and today I ordered another skirtsuit from my favourite bespoke tailors in the Netherlands. They have supplied me with satisfactory garments before and I'm confident they can get it right for me again.

I'm calling it a shirt-jacket suit, in that the top will have a full length front zip, ending below a normal lapelled collar in a contrasting shade, a pair of chest-flap "pockets", but a pair of hidden real ones a waist level, the jacket hem being short, at the hip. Long sleeves to the wrists.
Underneath, an A-line knee-length skirt with some seven box pleats with contrasting reveals to match the jacket collar, yokes front & back, zip fly front and generous slash pockets. 2" belt loops, too.

Fabrics: Dark green subtle plaid with buff-stone contrasts.

I had great fun designing it and we'll see how it turns out....... 8)

Tom
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Disappointment, Carl: Wifey & friend worked out a number, set to the tune of Yankee-doodle, all about 'A No-Trump Christmas' (with allusions to Bridge playing), but it was about Trump &c and the kilt wasn't required, after all.

As compere and introducer/accompanist in a roomful of some 80 retirees the last thing I wanted to do was attract attention to my personal apparel, so a conventional trews under sports jacket & tie was in order.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Disappointment, Carl:
No worries on that count, good sir. So long as the shindig went off well, and all the participants had a rollicking good time. it was a success.
Wifey & friend worked out a number, set to the tune of Yankee-doodle, all about 'A No-Trump Christmas' (with allusions to Bridge playing) [...]
I'd like to see the libretto to that at some point. I'm not intimately familiar with Bridge but am tangentially familiar with some of its terms as I sat next to a set of inveterate bridge-players when I was commuting by rail a number of years ago.
[...] but it was about Trump &c and the kilt wasn't required, after all.
But did she still filch your kilt? More importantly -- did you get it back?
As compere and introducer/accompanist in a roomful of some 80 retirees the last thing I wanted to do was attract attention to my personal apparel, so a conventional trews under sports jacket & tie was in order.
Understood, but sometimes one might be surprised.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,

No, she didn't nick the kilt, which for her is a First! I'll try to get hold of their notes/libretto and scan it. Give me a few days. I had the (onerous) task of accompanying them, so I didn't pay much attention to the words.

We're very busy with preparations for the arrival of a LOT of family over from the UK and also, our beloved Kerry house was broken into in November, ransacked and flooded by wanton blocking of all the sinks and turning the water on, so we're to-ing & fro-ing the 200-odd miles down there a lot, just now. It's heartbreaking after 42 years of no trouble at all. My thanks is that they didn't set fire to the place.

Tom
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Wow! What those people did to your house is reprehensible and inexcusable.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Oh, Tom, I am so saddened to hear of what happened to that precious little spot in Kerry. 'Tis such a pretty little place. What is this world, and what we'd like to call "society" coming to? One expects that sort of behaviour here in the States; I'd hoped there were brighter points of light in the world.

Obviously, first things first. That libretto can wait.