The worm has turned

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The worm has turned

Post by oldsalt1 »

a couple of years ago if you mentioned the word micro all I would think about is heating up a snack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Now, I would have thought "computer" as the small home models were generically known as "micros" in them days. Now "minis" would have either been skirts or cars in that order ( you can tell which way my mind works ) - the Mini being the ubiquitous car made by the British Motor Corporation or British Leyland or whatever. Not to be confused with the current Mini which really isn't mini anymore in the way the original mini was. I once owned an ex-police minivan which was brilliant to drive and was tuned higher than the norm. But mini skirts are just the way they've always been - delicious and a delight to see.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Now "minis" would have either been skirts or cars in that order ( you can tell which way my mind works ) [..]
Isn't the human mind a grand thing? For me -- in order -- that would have been computers, skirts, and cars.
[... M]ini skirts are just the way they've always been - delicious and a delight to see.
Indeed. Save that it's simply too cold here at the moment to even contemplate anybody wearing one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, well, Carl, I didn't come across minicomputers until 1985 when I started University and met the VAX11/780 running UNIX. Used as a teaching machine. Up until then it had been the Sinclair Spectrum then the BBC micro on which I wrote some programs which got me accepted for University.

Here we're in the low to mid 40's so probably warm enough with thick tights.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

Sinned wrote:we're in the low to mid 40s so probably warm enough with thick tights.
'Low to mid 40s'. We've gone all summer without a 40 :wink: . Currently 19° as I write, wearing a knee-length light-weight black A-liner and a pair of sandals.
Shalom
Steven
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

skirts4me wrote:'Low to mid 40s'. We've gone all summer without a 40 :wink: . Currently 19° as I write, wearing a knee-length light-weight black A-liner and a pair of sandals.
low to mid 40's on our scale is about 3 on yours
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected BBCode
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Sinned wrote:Yeah, well, Carl, I didn't come across minicomputers until 1985 when I started University and met the VAX11/780 running UNIX.
That takes me back. We had a computer room at work with a VAX11/780, plus washing-machine size disk drives. The skirt link is that the room had a void under the floor for the air conditioning, with vents set into the floor. In one particularly hot summer, the women would stand over these vents, Marylin Munroe style. This was years before I saw the 'skirt light', but even then I envied them; it's not the same in trousers :(
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Charlie wrote:That takes me back. We had a computer room at work with a VAX11/780, plus washing-machine size disk drives. The skirt link is that the room had a void under the floor for the air conditioning, with vents set into the floor. In one particularly hot summer, the women would stand over these vents, Marylin Munroe style. This was years before I saw the 'skirt light', but even then I envied them; it's not the same in trousers :(
The VAX 11/780 was a late-comer to the party (1977) and was more of a super-mini than a true minicomputer. I go into some detail on where the boundaries lie between the broad classes of computers on my web page, but the VAX series had lots of mainframe-like features embedded into them and had word-widths at least double what the "classic" minicomputers had.

On computer-room floors. In the 1980s it was possible to stand above the floor vents in reasonable comfort and with the knowledge that the skirt wouldn't be up around your neck almost instantly. That's not so much the case today. I recall back in the 2000s doing some work at the co-location facility in which the company was spending way too much money at and went up there wearing a skirt. Big mistake. The air currents were cold and fast -- more than fast enough to lift even the heavy skirt I was wearing and cold enough to deliver an immediate and entirely unpleasant chill to the undercarriage. I avoided those vents like the plague. This confused the guys who were there with me (wearing heavy jackets) because I frequently took sub-optimal walking paths to get from point A to point B until I pointed out the vents and my skirt. It didn't slow anything down, and I was very glad to get out of there at the end of the job.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I had to do a commercial recording of a brass band, so I attended several of their rehearsals to familiarise myself with their repertoire and instrumentation. The rehearsal room was a church with warm air heating from underfloor ducting. They had told me that they were having problems with the heating system and one evening I arrived to find the room stone cold and the band still wearing their heavy outdoor clothing. After checking in the boiler room and finding no obvious faults, I traced the wiring to a well-concealed thermostat and time switch; the switch was off, so I switched it on and heard the faint sound of air coming through the vents in the floor.

Standing over the vents, I could feel the air that was blowing gently up my skirt gradually becoming warmer. Long before the band noticed any rise in temperature, I was as warm as toast.

They now know where the switch is.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The 40's was old money ( fairynight ). If it was new then I'd be melting!
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

Sinned wrote:The 40's was old money ( fairynight ). If it was new then I'd be melting!
I know, but it was good for a stir! :D
Shalom
Steven
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am semi retired and I usually split my day between regular things and going to see a client.

Usually I would either get up throw on a skirt do what I had to do than I would get dressed (pants ) and head out to visit my clients or I would get up get dressed head out take care of my clients than come home and change into a skirt.

Today is different. I have a 4 oclock appointment with a client. Today I got up threw on a pair of pants and ran some errands. Now I am getting dresses to go visit my client. Only this time I am taking off the pants and putting on the kilted out I posted on the other blog. A definite turn of events
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its a little chilly here today. and with all the blood thinners etc from the operation I get a little cold. I while back my solution would have been to throw on a pair of sweats.

Without really much thought today's solution was a pair of tights
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Charlie wrote:
Sinned wrote:Yeah, well, Carl, I didn't come across minicomputers until 1985 when I started University and met the VAX11/780 running UNIX.
That takes me back. We had a computer room at work with a VAX11/780, plus washing-machine size disk drives.
I remember those. I worked on PDP 11/04s and similar in the early 80s. I was doing software development and storing everything on paper tape. I would have to write the bootstrap loader in octal first thing in the morning. I soon worked out to put the save code on the paper tape so I didn't have to write that too each day.

Later on I worked on an alternative filing system for the BBC micro that I wrote in 6502 assembly .... all in 8 KB of memory
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I understand that every subject is going to have a little drift from the original topic . And I realize that I mentioned MIcro. But I can't for any reason understand how computers that you worked on over 30 years ago has anything to do with things that happened while you were wearing a skirt