The worm has turned

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The worm has turned

Post by Kilty »

oldsalt1 wrote:I understand that every subject is going to have a little drift from the original topic . And I realize that I mentioned MIcro. But I can't for any reason understand how computers that you worked on over 30 years ago has anything to do with things that happened while you were wearing a skirt
It's just play on words... you love micro skirts, other members remember micro computers, and regale themselves of early days (for me, it was the Sinclair Spectrum 48k, and MS DOS Executive, the fore runner to Windows 3.1 on IBM compatible i286 or 8088 PC :wink: ) hence the inevitable thread drift... :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:[...] I can't for any reason understand how computers that you worked on over 30 years ago has anything to do with things that happened while you were wearing a skirt
I suspect it's down to the last vestigial echoes of the place that the Internet was long, long ago when it was dominated with very computer-savvy types -- and the computer-savvy type typically enjoys discussing computers. Today, the Internet is a communications vehicle made possible by computers, much in the same way that the "Victorian Internet" was made possible by iron and copper wire, telegraph keys, and electromagnets. Telegraphers in those halcyon days likely waxed as profoundly about the benefits of the latest keying devices as CS (Computer Science) types do about architecture diversity and elegance of design.

I detect a bit of a computing "bent" here, but it's not really overwhelming (although I can go off on wild tangents from time to time), and that's healthy. We're, all of us, "just folks", and have a very diverse range of what tickles our fancies, but the main uniting thing really is skirts. Other stuff will inevitably filter in, but it's just that -- a reflection of who we are as a community, and precisely how wide a community we are.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I love to read and spend hours devouring books. I am currently reading a book about the early days of the Royal Navy with the emphasis on the Tars ( sailors ). It deals with the ships, conditions on board, press ganging and all sorts of other things. It was £1 at Poundland so not an expensive venture and so far outside of my normal interests. I admit that I have to read it in nibbles ( not the same thing as the computing variety, just a few pages at a time ). Anyway MOH saw me reading it and asked what it was about and she impressed me when she said, "I'm sometimes amazed at how widely are the subjects that you read." I took that as a compliment and I did add that sometimes a subject would just pique my interests and I enjoy surprising by stepping outside the box that many try to fit me in. I meant it in reference to skirts but I don't think that she cottoned on. Anyway Carl, you're right, we are diverse and probably in the upper percentiles intellectually and as such we like to discuss what interests us. I don't think that it's any accident that many of us here are in accounting, computing, engineering, medical and other technical professions. I'm now working in retailing but spent most of my careers in structural engineering or computing but the stress in one job completely burnt me out. I enjoy what I am doing, little stress, lots of meeting folk and so well within my intellectual capabilities. I keep musing about an Open University course in something or other just for stimulation. I'm interested in grammar and language theory so that's a possibility or archaeology as York has a world leading centre in its University. Oh, the possibilities are there - it's just that the cost of the course £27,000 over the three years means that justification is a major hurdle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned wrote:I keep musing about an Open University course in something or other just for stimulation. I'm interested in grammar and language theory so that's a possibility or archaeology as York has a world leading centre in its University. Oh, the possibilities are there - it's just that the cost of the course £27,000 over the three years means that justification is a major hurdle.
Grammar is my thing too. I went to Uni in 2009, not for grammar, but for a degree in dance and ethics. There was a lot of financial assistance then for mature students, including a £3k per annum grant (not a loan). This government isn't student friendly, so I have no idea if it's still available but it might be worth looking to see what is available.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

With Fathers day coming my son asked me what I wanted as a present. When I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted he said how about letting him pay for my last amazon order. I said ok.

I really don't think its what he had in mind but for fathers day my son bought me a Blouse , a pencil mini skirt and a pair of Mary Jane pumps. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dan, I can't imagine that that's what was in his mind when he offered but thanks for the laugh and brightening my evening. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am an accountant I work from my office at home. I have been doing this for Many years . I have auditors coming all the time . They are usually female and they are usually checking payroll and sales records for insurance premiums.

An auditor came in last week and she was dressed neatly basically according to what is acceptable

She was wearing nice Jeans a top and sneakers.

It just struck me funny when she came in I was the one wearing a blouse an almost knee length pencil skirt nylons and pumps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

OS, I like the skirt length. Looks very professional with the pumps. To me, it's your best yet!
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Here is one for you . You are home doing some work around the house. Your son comes home and says lets go to a movie . You say ok but I have to change first.

You go in to change and changing means putting on a different skirt
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Here is one for you . You are home doing some work around the house. Your son comes home and says lets go to a movie . You say ok but I have to change first.

Been there done that!!! :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

oldsalt1 wrote:Here is one for you . You are home doing some work around the house. Your son comes home and says lets go to a movie . You say ok but I have to change first.

I've changed shirts and shoes when getting home but kept wearing the same skirt. Is that the same? :D
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am a semi retired accountant. At a very slow pace I have been explaining to some or my clients shall we say my alternative choices in business attire. I am not going crazy for new clients but I am always on the look out for a new local vendor. I just had a casual meeting with a potential new client.

And at this very first meeting I went wearing a skirt.. Comments :?: :?: :?: :?:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:[... A]t this very first meeting I went wearing a skirt.. Comments :?: :?: :?: :?:
Good on ya! It shows that you've overcome the uncertainty and unease of being "differently dressed".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

oldsalt1 wrote:I am a semi retired accountant. At a very slow pace I have been explaining to some or my clients shall we say my alternative choices in business attire. I am not going crazy for new clients but I am always on the look out for a new local vendor. I just had a casual meeting with a potential new client.

And at this very first meeting I went wearing a skirt.. Comments :?: :?: :?: :?:
I have met with a few new customers in skirts. Normally we talk on the phone once or twice before we have a face to face meeting. So they get to know me and what I am about. Whan arranging a meeting we ask what the dress code is at their office. Most of the time I speak to the project engineer and they typically wear casual, but the plant manager and financial manager are usually much more formal for first meetings. I'll mention that when I come for our first visit that I sometimes will wear a business skirt and heels and if they have any issues with it. If they do say that it's an issue then I'll wear pants and some 3" heels. But most times they have really no problem with it.

When we first meet in person they seemed just a bit puzzled, especially if the project engineer did not pass on what I said I might be wearing. But after the meeting starts it all becomes just business and any awkwardness is gone. (With the exception of one rather recent event :roll: )

I have had many customers say that my ideas (engineering regarding robotic packaging) are aggressively new and that I approach every new project with an open mind. Outside-the-box was once said in the same sentence regarding a solution to their problem and my choice of clothes. That lead to a multi-million order. Maybe it shows that I'm not afraid to do something different and that I have the confidence in myself to do so.....

oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As I have mentioned a number of times I am an accountant.

During my career which is over 40 years I have had many meetings with IRS agents.

Going back to my early days in the late 70's and early 80's when ever I met with an agent I wore a business suit or at the very least slacks and a sport jacket. If it was a female auditor she, most likely was wearing a skirt or a dress.

I had to stop at the IRS office today to take care of some client business. I walked in, went thru security, than I signed in and went to the waiting room, after about a 15 minute wait I was called into an interview room.

As I was talking to the female agent I glanced across the desk and realized She was wearing the slacks and I was the one in a skirt.