(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jjjjohanne

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by jjjjohanne »

I might have gotten a total of five compliments from strangers in previous years. In the past year however, I received two compliments. Both said I looked "Fabulous". One of those came from a man.
Then, on my last outing, I received four compliments.

Something has changed. Either I have started dressing better, or the culture in my part of the USA has changed.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in compliments lately?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jjjjohanne wrote:...Has anyone else noticed an increase in compliments lately?
I used to get about one a month, but in the last year more like one every two months. But both of those numbers are small enough that the difference may not be statistically significant.

I did have two in the last week, though. One was from a guy sitting at the bar in a pizza joint; he said he liked my camouflage utility kilt and wanted to know where I bought it. The second was from a woman outside a Target store who said she liked my shoes, a pair of pointed-toe burgandy 3" pumps. I was also wearing brown tights, a burgandy pencil skirt, and a brown men's polo shirt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Having not had a compliment for ages, I got several all at once during a dance last night. The skirt was a beige-coloured multi-layered longish one made of an incredibly heavy but flexible material. It was very 'full' and swung beautifully, the top layer centrifuging out horizontal during the rapid turns that occur in folk dancing - the compliments were entirely about the skirt and not about anything it revealed!
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

The compliments for my style is appreciated from you the readers at skirtcafé! For decades I never went out in the public because my mind was telling me all those bad thing that we all know about. There was a lot of shame and thoughts that I look ridiculous and would be laughed at.

Your encouragements goes a long way and adds strength to my life!

Thank you,

Feeling Freedom
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I managed, somehow, to pull down two today. One was at a place where I purchase beer and the other was at the watering-hole I frequent on weekends. My rig for the day was one of my "go-to" ones of my long purple satin skirt, red brocade waistcoat, and white "puffy" shirt with lace cuffs.

The first one was a compliment on the purple of the skirt, and the general consensus is that vivid purple is not in play often enough in the general population. This is OK because it allows me to stick out a bit.

The second came later, and was delivered by a young woman who was busy kicking some guys' tails in a darts game. She waltzed over to me and said, "I love your outfit! Is there something special today?" I responded, "No. This is just a style I like and tend to wear." Kudos were offered, and that was that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Scored one yesterday. I was out hiking with my club and a woman hiking the opposite direction remarked, "Good kilt."

It was a black utility kilt I was wearing with a gray-scale camouflage shirt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If you are a regular participant in the café you have probably read about my pending visit to my clients office while wearing a kilt

I just got home a few minutes ago and let me say what a trip

I wore the second outfit the kilt one color and everything else black

All of the people there are Irish so a man in a kilt was not that far out. maybe their Italian accountant in one was shall we say unexpected.

I warned the owner that I was coming there in a kilt . When I walked in I became the center of attention.. I got nothing but smiles a couple of "looks good" and "nice outfit".

The best comments came from the bookkeeper. We were working on the payroll reports when she said, "I see you even have boots to match that match the out they finish it off nicely ".

She than said "you have to be very brave to go out like that " but you do look terrific The outfit fits you.

I think I got more compliments in that first half hour than I have gotten in my entire skirt wearing life.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Excellent!

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:I think I got more compliments in that first half hour than I have gotten in my entire skirt wearing life.
Well done!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Great reactions to the kilt. Sad but true about how much rarer it is to get a compliment about a skirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

One lady complimented my skirt and asked where I bought it. She asked what reactions I get in stores where I shop. Reactions vary and some merely point to where to look for skirts, while others drop everything to help and offer suggestions. It usually includes a discussion about how long I have been wearing skirts, where I go in them, and they really like them and realize I am wearing skirts to enjoy freedom and comfort. I especially like to wear skirts when walking and hiking. I also like them when driving long distances.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Generally speaking I prefer a pencil skirt or a flared skirt without pleats for driving or a day when I will be standing up and sitting down.

Sorting out the pleats in a Kilt or pleated skirt require some effort to avoid sitting on creased pleats.

With an A Line Skirt one can just pull out the flare and sit on a flat piece of cloth. This style of garment does not create problems in the wind.

Regarding the thread... does one prefer to be complimented for dressing differently , or does one prefer to be un-noticed or just accepted

as dressing differently.....I am at a point where I do not expect to be noticed but feel comfortable dressed in an unusual manner...weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Wearing the Kilt is noticed as being an unusual heritage garment so one is possibly likely to get comments from the Curious.

In my experience sightings of the Kilt are rare...say one a year...men in skirts are never seen.

Perhaps the comments relate to the way one dresses to stand out in a crowd....and yet be comfortable........weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I managed to nail another one today, completely by accident.

I had a compelling need to go to the local grocery store today to pick up a few staples, including toilet-paper and soap, and wedged that into a very tight time-slot between trying to get my car worked on and getting to work at a reasonable hour to actually earn my living. Needless to say, this was a "surgical strike" with a budget of, perhaps, ten minutes.

I have no issue with the self-service checkouts (quite unlike certain ex-US presidents) but prefer the human interaction one gets when dealing with an actual like cashier. So, after I accumulated my quarry, I headed off to look for one only to find her backed up badly behind somebody who was intent on filling the back of her SUV. I stopped short, reversed, and headed for the self-service area. And received a call from over my shoulder from the cashier who'd seen me and who hailed me with a call of, "I like your skirt!"

Thanks were given, I scanned my goods, paid, and headed off for work -- mostly within budget.

It's nice when folks notice and say nice things. I wonder if she'd ever seen a guy in a skirt before.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

And another one today, this time from a tour-bus driver in Boston who was busy packing his bus with tourists and who spied me, mostly in a work-grade outfit of my claret velvet blouse, purple velvet waistcoat, and black skirt (the good shoes and sheers had been swapped out for a pair of clod-hoppers and shorty-socks).

"You look awesome!", came the hail from a few yards to port. I locked eyes, waved, and offered thanks. I guess I definitely stood out from the vast sea of denim and t-shirts.

One thing, though, about the "Big City to my East" is that sartorial tastes tend to be hoisted up a notch or three from those in the 'burbs. Each time I go in, I see many dresses and skirts on the womenfolk which is somewhat of a rarity where I live and work. It's nice -- and in my work-grade garb I was more than a match for most of the best-dressed on the street.

Then I changed into my sailing clothing and seriously "dumbed it down" from a fashion perspective. But, I don't want to damage my good stuff.