(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

(Good) Comments are king.

Post by crfriend »

This is tangentially related to blokes in skirts, but once in a while one picks up a comment from an entirely unexpected source for "customarily unfamiliar attire". Such was the case today when I decided to take lunch at a favourite Japanese restaurant in Natick, MA.

"I love your fancy pants!" (US English there, mind) came from a waitress who seated me at the sushi bar. (I was wearing my maroon satin palazzos.) It put a spring in my step.

I had a few more this past weekend including, "I'm loving that skirt!" from a bartender (when I was wearing my purple one with a hooped-petticoat under it), and an, "Oh yeah!" from a couple of other folks there. (I allow acquaintances to touch and get a feel for the hand of the fabric; others usually get a cold withering stare.)

Perhaps my initial notion of, "Do people really notice?" is off the mark. I don't know for certain, but I like nice commentary. It's salve for a wounded soul.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by skirtyscot »

You are clearly doing something right. Three in a few days must be a record! Hang on while I count up the total number of compliments from strangers about my skirts, over a period of more than 5 years ...

umm ...

well there was that time http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 7&start=45 ...

and ...

er ...

One.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:You are clearly doing something right. Three in a few days must be a record!
I guess so, because I accumulated another one today at lunch: "I love the peacock feathers! Do you make those [skirts] yourself?", from one of the waitresses at another eatery I frequent near work. All I could do is smile, thank her, and mention that while I am somewhat qualified with needle-and-thread, this is a skirt I bought in Provincetown a couple of years back (and imagery exists here of). I never did get to explain that I got there the "hard fun way" -- sailing instead of driving.
Hang on while I count up the total number of compliments from strangers about my skirts, over a period of more than 5 years ...

One.
Dang. That is a paltry response rate.

Maybe New England is just an exuberant part of the world filled with extroverts. ... Nah. I really doubt that.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Positive remarks for my tartan kilts -- occasionally.
Remarks about my skirts -- so rare as to be forgotten. In fact the only person to have spoken about my non-tartan skirts, was a lady friend who made it quite plain she did not approve.
I could point out that I have never made remarks myself, face to face, about other men's skirts and generally refrain from doing so here.

Martin
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have gotten 2 positive remarks One from the clerk at lady clerk at the DMV was unsolicited. The other was from my Lady barber we were having a discussion about men wearing skirts and I asked her for her opinion.
I have gotten a few weird looks and of course the old bitty at the utility company but I have not heard any other comments.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Couya wrote:Positive remarks for my tartan kilts -- occasionally.

Pffft, anyone can get those. My plain kilts go down a storm. Last time I wore one, I had one friendly and approving conversation with a woman I was giving directions to, and one impromptu ditty about what's under it from two drunk women at a bus stop (much to the amusement of the others waiting there), both in the space of 10 minutes. I prefer my skirts though!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

When you're able to come and go while skirted, and no one gives you odd looks, strange stares, double takes, wide eyes or dropped jaws, THEN you're REALLY doing it right. But, that's just my opinion. I've gotten compliments here and there on my attire, to be appreciated on your presentation is certainly a good thing.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I was at a Taco Bell wearing a black top, a multicolored (cream, black, green, burgundy) abstract knee-length skirt, black hose, and black shoes on one occasion. The cashier was a slightly alternative looking lady. She had a ring in her nose and maybe her hair was in dreadlocks... I cannot remember. She took my order and at the end she gave me some change and said, "I want you to know that you are beautiful."

On another occasion, I was Christmas shopping in a Target store. I was wearing a denim skirt that came to just above my knee, an orange top, a black cardigan, off black hose, and black shoes. The cashier, a woman from Sri Lanka, said, "I hope this is not inappropriate, but I saw you earlier walking by and thought that I really liked your outfit." She complimented on how it looked and on how well it was coordinated. I almost cried. I later looked up what people wear in Sri Lanka. From what I saw on the web, men wear skirts all the time there.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

For sure, there are more people who will admire you for your guts and independence wearing a skirt than there are who will object to your nonconformity.

And having a nicely-coordinated outfit doesn't hurt either.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

"What are you dressed for?"

Post by crfriend »

Usually conversations start with a question if somebody looks unconventional, and so was the case today (creme Mouse Works fleece skirt, red brocade waistcoat, white dress shirt, red fishnet legwear, and my black-and-red cloak) at the place where I frequently take lunch.

My answer was simple -- "Work", but spoken as a question as if wondering why the initiator was asked.

"You look extremely well! What do you do?" came back.

"I work with computers. This is how I usually dress; I like it."

That was good enough by itself, but it initiated another conversation as well with the establishment's hostess which was a bit longer. She's already expressed approval for my "alternate sense of style". I hope I'm getting my chops back.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I've noticed that when I am wearing a skirt, women in public seem more likely to start a conversation, like I'm less of a masculine threat to them and they seem more emboldened to show their aggressive side. This could probably be a subject for its own thread.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Only one time I had a conversation about my kilt.
I had to get pills and went to the local Rite Aid. I had to wait while they were preparing my prescription. Booze was also on my shopping list so I went next door where the state liquor store is. When I entered the store, the manager was busy near the entrance. "A nice kilt do you have" she said. "Thank you." "Are you going somewhere?" she went on. "Yes, to the neighbor for my prescription." "You are not dressed for a special occasion?" "No, it is just for comfort." I had reached my destination, Sambuca, and walked to the register. "Have a nice day." she said with a big smile.

English is second lingo for me and by nature I'm not very talkative. So I have to train myself to be more social.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Brad wrote:I've noticed that when I am wearing a skirt, women in public seem more likely to start a conversation, like I'm less of a masculine threat to them and they seem more emboldened to show their aggressive side. This could probably be a subject for its own thread.
I think it warrants another thread.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Great to read some here getting (and deserving) good comments. It has never happened to me with a skirt, which I take as a good sign as I never got compliments regarding pants or shorts either, so nothing has changed. I have had compliments about some of my jumpers (pullovers) which were notably colourful but no garment of blue or khaki denim would ever generate a comment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:I've noticed that when I am wearing a skirt, women in public seem more likely to start a conversation, like I'm less of a masculine threat to them and they seem more emboldened to show their aggressive side. This could probably be a subject for its own thread.
I definitely got more compliments and short conversations from women while skirted than I would wearing jeans.

But I chalk it up more to my (1) being a man rebelling against the same old fashions and (2) bringing it off successfully.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron