(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by denimini »

The only good comment I ever got was from a woman, a friend of a friend, who greeted me with "nice legs". Nothing about the skirt but I wonder if she would have said that if I was wearing short shorts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

I've had many good comments, including several over a number of weeks following a TV interview I did on men wearing skirts, but two come to mind as significant.

On one hot day I had been at work on the edge of the CBD, in a simple A-line knee-length khaki skirt, light green shirt, and sandals. I finished about 3pm and took the lift down to the car park under the building. A number of ladies joined the trip down from the floor below and one commented that "at least someone is wearing something suitable for the weather", looking straight at me. I thanked her.

The other is somewhat different. I had been running a school bus service and always wore a skirt. The mother of two of the children was so used to seeing me skirted that she commented, when I was somewhere where a skirt was inappropriate, that she didn't recognise me at first. She sounded quite disappointed.
Shalom
Steven
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Good comments are always king . Today I got something I am not sure what it was.

I needed new glasses. I get my glasses at Costco. For those not familiar Costco is a big box store where you buy everything pretty much in bulk.

They have many departments This has a section set aside for eye glasses . There is a resident optician and then they have a large optical section where you can get you glasses

I had my eye exam I was in her office there were a lot of people around . No problem nothing said . after I was done I went out to the optical department.

The people there are usually very nice , I usually never have a problem. This time I got a clerk that for some reason had a bug up her a--.

No matter what I asked for or said she see kept on looking at my skirt and shaking her head. .I figured that something was coming so I was ready for her.

When we were all done she looks at me and says "you know you wearing a skirt"

Like I said I was ready for her. At that point I took a step back , I looked down at my skirt and said you know you right. Than I said it was dark when I got dressed this morning. and all day long I felt that something was wrong. Now I know thank you for telling me. Than I walked out.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I hope to remember that in a similar situation. A few compliments and some stares beside the bitching of my wife's friend is all that I got up to now.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Nice one, OS1. It's the obvious answer; what response does someone expect when they ask such a dumb question? I'd probably go for a politer one, maybe "Yes, thanks, and it's ever so comfortable [and to a man] you should try it." But that woman deserved the sarcastic answer.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...When we were all done she looks at me and says "you know you wearing a skirt"...
My response would probably have been, "Yeah, I'm a nut case."

But here are some others:
"Yes."
"No, I hadn't noticed."
"So?"
"Do you like it?"
"Yeah, whadadya think?"
"Yeah, do you know you're wearing pants?"
"Yeah, don't you wish everybody did?"
"Oh, I guess I am. Whydaya think I bought new glasses?"

Or the universal:
"It's an emerging microtrend."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have never gotten many comments about my skirts but today was different.

I traded my Subaru in for a new one. I went back to the dealer I bought the original one from . I dealt with Linda the same lady as before.

Buying the car required a couple of trips to the dealership. Each time I wore a skirt.

I just picked up the car . Linda and I were going over the fine points of the car as normal.

We were sitting in the car when she said all of the girls had come up to her and asked about my skirts. . They all said they thought it was great and they loved them she said they all agreed I ROCKED it.

She also said to make sure I wear one when I come in for service.

As I walked around the dealership I always got some looks , but never a direct comment. Boy did that feel great to hear what they thought.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:[...] We were sitting in the car when she said all of the girls had come up to her and asked about my skirts. . They all said they thought it was great and they loved them she said they all agreed I ROCKED it.
That, Sir, is awesome! You must've been on cloud nine on your way home.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

You've traded it in already! Didn't you buy it just a few months ago?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Oldsalt1, that sounds much better than the regular sales pitch.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

CR I have be reveling in the thought of it all day.

Linda my sales lady is in her early 50's most of the other ladies are much younger .

Look , I realize that I am not a fashion plate I'm 73, short, a little over weight. but the elation that I feel from that comment is wonderful.

Its a level of approval and acceptance that I have never felt before.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:CR I have be reveling in the thought of it all day.
Good. You deserve it.

Contemplate this, though: Would it have happened if you didn't dare to defy convention?
Its a level of approval and acceptance that I have never felt before.
Good. It doesn't matter if we're not fashion plates. The key is to take what we've got and work with that. The genius is that everybody -- whether he's aware of it or not -- is capable of that. We just stick out more because we dare to be creative and different.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Last week I had two good comments . Both from female friends. The first was " I like your skirt outfit. "
The second was "I see you are wearing a different skirt today . " ......both show that the lassies do notice what we are wearing and
do consider our efforts are worthy of comment.. .............................weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

skirtyscot wrote:You've traded it in already! Didn't you buy it just a few months ago?
Bought it January 2017 I put on almost 45,000 miles

I loved the car but MY son accidently backed into it Than I needed tires Brakes and a tune up BY the time I was done I would have needed over $3000 to get it up to snuff

They offered a good trade in so I went for it. And besides I wanted something to match my new red dress :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Good grief Old Salt1, now you've done it! The next warm, sunny day (Yeah, we do have them in the Pacific Northwest) your remark will get me thinking, "Do I need to coordinate my outfit to Ginger (my Miata)?"

DSC_0141 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.