(Good) Comments are king.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jjjjohanne

Re: (Good) Comments are king.

Post by jjjjohanne »

Great to read some here getting (and deserving) good comments. It has never happened to me with a skirt, which I take as a good sign as I never got compliments regarding pants or shorts either, so nothing has changed.
Well... Full disclosure: In the possibly 100's of times of going out in a skirt, I can count the compliments I have received on one hand. I listed two. I once heard a woman say from a distance while looking at me in a black and white maxi skirt, "I like that." Unless I am mistaken, that is all. Unless I got some on Halloween when I first started showing "real" people that I might wear something unusual. But, Halloween doesn't count.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I got two compliments last week while hiking. Both were from men and both began with, "I like that kilt!" The second continued with, "I never thought of wearing one for hiking but it's a great idea! Where can I buy one"

Yesterday evening I was attending and hockey game wearing a team jersey, burgundy utility kilt, black tights, and black knee boots with a 3-inch heel. A women dressed for the other team came up to me while I was in in a concession line and she remarked, "I like your boots! I bet they're warm!" Which, OK, wasn't about the kilt, exactly, but I took it as being about the total outfit, which she wouldn't have noticed without the kilt.

So that's three compliments in seven days, which is a little more than average but not a lot.

(Also at the hockey game I caught a guy taking a cellphone photo of me from behind as I stood at the urinal, but I took that as more of a notice than a compliment).
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

It is not that often I get compliments, but I remember some.

When I wore a dress at the conference I attended this autumn, and one time I was paying for some food there were to different ladies telling me how they loved the way I dressed. They both told me that if someone had told them how I was dressed and didn’t see me they would have thought it would look strange. But, when they saw me they thought it looked great. I really believed they were honest, and I think it was one of the greatest and most honest compliment I have ever got.

Another evening a couple of years ago I was riding the bus wearing a dress. I think I may have told this story before. A lady in her early 20’s changed her sit and sat beside me. She started a conversation with saying thank you to me. I was very surprised, and she continued. My father does the same as you, but he doesn’t dear to go outside. She said, I wish he would be as brave as you and living as he wants the most. You make me proud of my father. She said I looked great and thanked me again. I had a great conversation with her, and I was so happy for the rest of the evening.

Going out skirted is our mission to show the world that we do exist and making it a little bit less strange each time more people see us.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

To sum up:
Plenty of us have gotten compliments.
Some of us lots of compliments.
Wearing well put-together outfits ups the number of compliments.
Wearing the clothes well, that is with verve and confidence because that is who you are, also ups the number of compliments.
Women are more likely to pay us compliments than men.

I'd like to make 2 points about that last item. In the first place, it's very rare for men to compliment one another on how they're dressed. Afterall, what's there to say? For that matter men rarely compliment one another. As a breed, we're too competitive to admit to another man that he did something well; such an admission might diminish ourselves and then where would we be?

Women on the other hand compliment one another on their clothing all the time. But clearly, in our case they're complimenting us as men on how we're dressed. My point is, we're NOT compromising our masculinity by wearing skirts and dresses, at least not when we have put together a nice-looking outfit and wear it well. In fact, I've read articles asserting that women find men who wear skirts attractive because they have the self-confidence to march to their own drummer.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:To sum up:
Plenty of us have gotten compliments.
Some of us lots of compliments.
Wearing well put-together outfits ups the number of compliments.
Wearing the clothes well, that is with verve and confidence because that is who you are, also ups the number of compliments.
Women are more likely to pay us compliments than men.

I'd like to make 2 points about that last item. In the first place, it's very rare for men to compliment one another on how they're dressed. Afterall, what's there to say? For that matter men rarely compliment one another. As a breed, we're too competitive to admit to another man that he did something well; such an admission might diminish ourselves and then where would we be?

Women on the other hand compliment one another on their clothing all the time. But clearly, in our case they're complimenting us as men on how we're dressed. My point is, we're NOT compromising our masculinity by wearing skirts and dresses, at least not when we have put together a nice-looking outfit and wear it well. In fact, I've read articles asserting that women find men who wear skirts attractive because they have the self-confidence to march to their own drummer.
I couldn't agree more. I've gotten compliments from women because I've worn full outfits and was appreciated for my presentation. However, I had gotten compliments from men on my attire, though nowhere near what I've gotten from women, the important things is if you go out of your way to look your best, and present yourself as someone who's comfortable in what you happen to be wearing, people will appreciate you for how you look.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I just bought a new car I was back at the dealer today She told me that I was going to get a survey to rate the dealer and the deal and she hoped I would give a good report. It was rainy and cold so this is the first time that I wore pants to the dealership . All of the prior visits I wore skirts We got into a discussion about my experience with her and the rest of the people at the dealership One of the things I mentioned was that I was pleased that nothing was ever made about my wearing a skirt. She said of course she noticed what I was wearing we spent a half hour in a test drive.We joked a little about the fact that my skirts were shorter than hers.

I then asked what she thought about my wearing skirts. She said when ever I came in I was always decent. and that It didn't effect her in the least and that I had the right to wear what ever made me happy.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Bravo to you for shopping for a car in a skirt.

Double kudos for asking for feedback.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As I think about it this is really great . I have become friends with the Linda the sales lady. I am actually looking forward to going back for service on the car. I now have another place where wearing a skirt is not only accepted but almost expected.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:As I think about it this is really great .
It grows on one, and it keeps getting better.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just got a call from Linda my car salesperson. She said I forgot to sign the title transfer on my trade, she asked me if I can stop in and sign it. She then laughed and said I expect you to be wearing a skirt when you come in.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just got a call from Linda my car salesperson. She said I forgot to sign the title transfer on my trade, she asked me if I can stop in and sign it. She then laughed and said I expect you to be wearing a skirt when you come in.
Pick out your finest skirt for the occasion. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just got home from the car dealer. It was sunny and just over 50 so I was able to skip the tights and heavy coats. I got 2 comments one direct and a second indirectly. The first was from Linda my sales lady . She said
she was wondering if I would come back in a skirt and that the outfit looked simple and very nice. It was supposed to be a fast in and out but she wasn't busy so we sat and chatted for a few minutes. It was a normal conversation we are both into hockey and we talked about the coaching changes the Islanders had just made.

While we were talking another salesman walked into her area. He had some bulls---t question I think he just wanted a closer look.
When I got home I had an email from Linda. She said the other salesman came back in after I left. and just Like I thought he only came in for a closer look. He said that he had seen me there a few times in skirts and was curious .

Linda told me that he said that he couldn't understand why a man would want to wear a skirt. But all things considered I looked pretty good.

score 2 for our side. I was wearing a black top a black skooter skirt and black knee boots But I think what made the outfit was the short white jacket that I was wearing. I am posting a picture in my many minis under the pics and looks section.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

oldsalt1 wrote: score 2 for our side. I was wearing a black top a black skooter skirt and black knee boots But I think what made the outfit was the short white jacket that I was wearing. I am posting a picture in my many minis under the pics and looks section.
Just saw the outfit, pretty good, it doesn't seem quite right when considering proprtions, length of jacket vs length of skirt, though I suspect it looks better in real life, and maybe better when moving.

I seem to be getting more compliments these days. I had put it down to being more colourful generally, but Sunday I was fairly plain overall, and I got a rare compliment from a guy.

I have been wearing skirts out for...almost 4 years now? Approaching 3 years for mostly full time (I measure that from when I started wearing them to work) In that time, I have had very few interactions that I would consider to be negative, I'll try to list them.

One old guy who when approached wouldn't talk to me, or even look at me straight, and he sidled off. It could have been some kind of social anxiety thing completely unconnected to my skirt.

One drunk individual said "Have you just come from a wedding? You know that's not a kilt?" We had a few words and he wandered off muttering. There were many others about, none of whom seemed to be bothered one way or another.

One customer who suddenly stopped in the middle of asking me a question, looked down and said "Are you wearing a skirt?" - "Yes? Is it a problem?" He just shook his head and carried on with his question. He said nothing further but seemed to be put out somewhat.

An older lady, by the way she was dressed I think belonging to a Mennonite group, said fairly clearly "Well really!" in a disapproving tone, quite clearly looking at me, then wandered off.

Couple of honks from passing cars, though I think the last one of those I caught a thumbs up gesture from the driver, couple of sarcastic wolf whistles, but nobody near enough to be in any way threatening.

In the line up for the tills at a discount store, suit and tie individual seemed to have serious trouble dealing with my skirt. Turned part way, just enough to catch a glimpse, then swung back forwards. He did it again, and again. I lost count how many times, it was if his brain kept hitting a reset switch, "I didn't really see that did I? Yup! bzzt! reset" I almost started laughing, it was quite hysterical.

There have only been 2 incidents where I thought there might be some risk, but as it turned out, the individuals in question seemed approving after I said "Yes, it's a skirt, and very comfortable" There have been many more times that I have managed to catch a double take or frank stare, but so far no-one has objected seriously. It maybe that my build (200 pounds and 6'2") deters them? I think it also maybe that I feel very confident wearing my skirt, and it shows. One of my younger female co-workers said as much recently, I mentioned my surprise that I had so few negative responses, and she opined that it had something to do with the way I just got on with things like it was no big deal.

My job is retail, and I use transit frequently, so I probably get to speak to many more people than most on SkirtCafe, I would think simple numbers would mean there were more comments. Positive comments outnumber the "negative" by something like 100 to 1, and very few are simply neutral, most who have bothered to say anything have been extremely approving. Most along the lines of "I wish more men had the sense/courage to try skirts!" The best ones are along the lines of "Well, you certainly have the legs for a skirt!" That one had me smiling for hours! :D
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

The worst I've had in four years is a glare or a grunt.

Double takes, sure, lots of those, but I don't take them negatively. Within a second most people seem to think, "Oh well," and I count that as a success.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hell, we are all slaves to our egos, that is human nature.
I love good comments and my skirts acknowledged in any way.
For the others, I cause a "think", perhaps an argument and discussion.
Success!
Steve.