Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tales from the Brotherhood of the Hoop

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Pork-pie hat, check. Sparkly t-shirt (but still a t-shirt), check. Hooped pettti, check. All at once, 'Error". (Just kidding.)
I may be an odd one.... but no one can deny I'm....
100pcntmsa.jpg
:lol: 8) :lol:

Accept no substitutes...! :wink: :eye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:Pork-pie hat, check. Sparkly t-shirt (but still a t-shirt), check. Hooped pettti, check. All at once, 'Error". (Just kidding.)
I may be an odd one.... but no one can deny I'm....
100pcntmsa.jpg
:lol: 8) :lol:

Accept no substitutes...! :wink: :eye:
Love it!!! :hide: :rofl: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Unboxed ye ole hoop from under the bed and took it for a quick outing this chilly Friday night for a quick run into the Dollar General and not one but two stops at Little Caesars Pizza.

Got compliments right off the bat, the lady who rung me up at the Dollar General mentioned she liked my tie die. I told her "you probably don't see this often"..

"not around here much" she replied.

She was from Maryland and said it's quite common up there, in fact according to her, men dress like this to work as though it's no big deal.

While I was talking to her a black woman entered the store and said "Nice skirt!" I thanked her....

A good outing all the same. It put such a spring in my step that on my second trip to the pizza shop, (they got our order wrong on the first time), I did a little twirl in the parking lot in the presence of several witnesses.

No gun shots were fired on this day, and it's a good day to be alive!

Yes those are my rainbow socks in those flats! Come on guys! Get some sun on those skirts! The world won't change until we change it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As hoop wearers are not very common here on the cafe, I thought I would update this thread the short story of my outing today, you can follow the link here (so I don't just repeat myself):

https://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18599&p=183677#p183677
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know what? I occurs to me that women hardly ever wear these things.... Only for special occasions like weddings. But even with dances like proms and other formal events, modern women seem to opt for the slimmed down dresses...

Leaving the hoop ripe to be claimed by guys like me.

"'Xcuse me sir... why are you dressed like a woman?"

"How many women do you know who dress like this?"

It would be pretty wild if I brought the hoop back in style around here with the women! :lol: "Oh Julia, I love your skirt, it's been decades since I've seen one like this!"

"Oh thank you, I got the idea from some guy I saw at Walmart wearing one..."

By God if we can't win the men over, maybe we can at least bring the skirt back for women! :mrgreen:
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I must say the hoop does display the great colours and patterns on the skirts you are wearing a lot better than if they hung straight down. They do look like fun and from your posts they obviously are fun to wear.
I have never worn a hoop, nor owned one ........ or even know where I would buy one. The idea does intrigue me; having the fabric held away from one's legs; it could be good at disguising a pot belly by the substantial increase in girth below it; could be just the thing in hot climates, offering sun protection and good ventilation; certainly a boon to those obsessed about the perceptible willy. Oh, my mind runs wild with ideas; concealed hoverboards ...............
Sadly, I am not sure if I would ever aquire the credentials to join the Brotherhood.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

denimini wrote: ............... Sadly, I am not sure if I would ever aquire the credentials to join the Brotherhood.
I don't think mini skirts and hoops are a good combination. It might bring you in legal troubles. Something perceptible might become uber-perceptible. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

My wife gave me one of hers. Beautifull colours I love to wear it when I got my hands on some hoop to wear underneath it. It has a lot of purple and gold in it.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Complicated History of the Hoop Skirt

Post by Grok »

Can't seem to post a link with my computer. Google "The Complicated History of the Hoop Skirt-Racked".

The last version of a semi-rigid rig appeared around the mid 19th century. (Around the time some visionaries were experimenting with early Bloomer rigs). A key characteristic of the new hoop rigs were that they were cheap. So lower classes could afford the new hoop rigs, blurring the lines between upper and lower class women. Challenging the established order. So, oddly enough, the new hoop rigs were a sign of rebellion.

The new hoop rigs gained traction, while the early Bloomer outfits did not. ( Amelia Bloomer-who's name was applied to the experimental outfits-switched to the new hoop skirts). Rather quirky history, one would have assumed that Bloomers would have won out in the competition with hoop skirts.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I started to wear my hoop to the pride event Saturday, but decided against it.... maybe next year.

I've got something in mind for the one in Bristol, perhaps one of those wide flared gypsy skirts, a cute top, and since it's nearing Halloween, I'll see about picking up some fairy wings, and perhaps some face paint.

Now that I know what to expect at these things.... I SHALL NOT BE OUT FLAMBOYANTED AGAIN! :lol: :alien:
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

My architectural bent is stimulated by the thought of hoop skirts; if they were big enough one could withdraw down under it and shelter from rain, etc. A large rimmed hat could cover the waist area.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote:
denimini wrote: ............... Sadly, I am not sure if I would ever aquire the credentials to join the Brotherhood.
I don't think mini skirts and hoops are a good combination. It might bring you in legal troubles. Something perceptible might become uber-perceptible. ;)
I must have previously missed this response. The mental image that it generated made me laugh.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Rokje wrote:My wife gave me one of hers. Beautifull colours I love to wear it when I got my hands on some hoop to wear underneath it. It has a lot of purple and gold in it.
That is a beautiful piece of fabric and a hoop would display it to it's best advantage.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: The Complicated History of the Hoop Skirt

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Can't seem to post a link with my computer. Google "The Complicated History of the Hoop Skirt-Racked".
That was a good read -- and it pointed to some other very useful resources if one is interested in the history of dress.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have been looking online regarding this general topic.

Didn't know that some modern wedding dresses include hoop skirts-these are stiffened with nylon.

Must not overlook the advantages of modern materials