the feeling of wearing a skirt.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: the feeling of wearing a skirt.

Post by Darryl »

beachlion wrote:.... Also the freedom of movement and the feeling of the fabric against your legs is liberating. I hope we have a short winter. ;)
I went skirted 4 to 5 days out of 7 throughout 2015 and thus far into 2016. The exceptions are that I wear trousers to one client location due to dress code and to the fact that I may have to crawl around on the floor behind desks and such messing with cabling, etc.

I used, and plan to use again, the following levels (US definitions):
  • 1)skirt with support hose
  • 2)skirt with support hose and tights
  • 3)skirt with support hose, tights and leggings
  • 4)skirt with support hose and fleece-lined tights
  • 5)skirt with support hose, fleece-lined tights and leggings
  • 6)skirt with support hose, tights and fleece-lined leggings
  • 7)skirt with support hose, fleece-lined tights and fleece-lined leggings
I never HAD to go to trousers and any combination of the above legwear. I was out In 6-8" of snowfall and shoveling in a nice breeze. The feel of the breeze on my legs and the swirling of the skirt in the breeze were both still there, though somewhat muted. And the only cold areas were my head and hands (to some extent, needed better gloves).

I'd say the worst wind-chill ranges were -30 to -50. And add a wee bit of American Scots-Irish stubbornness. :) But I stayed skirted through the winter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Skirts do feel great after being used to wearing pants and shorts - and that alone is a good enough reason to wear them. If someone said that they were happy enough with shorts, I would have to ask if they ever tried a skirt.
hairy wrote:I'm OK out and about in skirts as short as 14 inches, and I know they must be fine as my twenty something daughter has been out with me wearing them in crowds. I do however have to take care with things like getting in/out of car and using stairs but then so do girls/women. I have even short skirts down to 10inches but they are only used in private garden, or perhaps a nip out to my garage to lock up after dark. TBH I do have just one utility kilt but at 24 inches I find that just far too long, I clearly like the shorter skirts for freedom, I do have the legs for them but I still take care.
Very much my style too. I will go most places in a 14" mini, don't like much over 16" and love to get around at home in 10 -12" in hot weather - me feel like Tarzan. It is a matter of personal choice.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It may be silly but I find it amusing that when I go to put my skirt on I don't have to worry about which hole to put my leg thru.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:It may be silly but I find it amusing that when I go to put my skirt on I don't have to worry about which hole to put my leg thru.
Yes, I sometimes think of a skirt being a single-leg-hole-garment, or SLHG, pronounced slog.

But that leaves dual- or multi-leg-hole garments as DLHGs or MLHGs, for which pronunciation is more awkward.

I also think it's interesting that I can put on my shoes first, and then my skirt. Putting on shoes first and then trousers ranges from awkward to impossible.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I also think it's interesting that I can put on my shoes first, and then my skirt.
Sometimes this is necessary depending on what you're wearing. When I wore my hoop last Sunday I had to have my shoes on so I wouldn't trip on the petticoat, and with the petticoat on, I had to toss my skirt over my head to get it on. (It sounds vastly more complicated than it really is.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Caultron wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I also think it's interesting that I can put on my shoes first, and then my skirt. Putting on shoes first and then trousers ranges from awkward to impossible.
This also allows some quick changes that are impossible with pants. Even wearing pants in the Winter, I will sometimes need to use different ones for inside/outside. Changing from rain/wind pants to a skirt, or from Heavy skirt/over skirt to indoor skirt, is possible without taking off shoes. Heavy weather pants often have zippers in the bottom of the leg, so can be taken off over shoes or boots. Indoor pants rarely have those.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

It feels extremely good, liberating even to wear a skirt, especially in public where I can flaunt societal norms when it comes to gender and clothing. And, at the risk of exposing my vanity, I look freaking damn good in a skirt, most notably short skirts as I can show off my long legs in them.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I prefer skirts over trousers and have a skirt on as much as practically possible.

Mine are all calf length,. 87cm to 97cm. Anything shorter and I feel exposed. I read with interest on many a thread about mini skirts but not for me.

I have never worn shorts even when I confined myself to the still expected clothing expectation for men. In my preferred length I have no problem sitting down or sat down. I have no problem on stairs, or getting in or out of cars and I drive a Land Rover Defender 90.

I like my modesty and much prefer covered legs but with the freedom skirts offer over trousers. It's only just clothing I accept and bare legs are standard to any human but I much prefer coverage. I accept any breach of modesty with short skirts on sitting down or in/out of cars is brief and virtually not revealing to due the "science of light" but I do feel uncomfortable in anything less than 87cm.

Apart from that I embrace the power and freedom of a skirt including the flexibility of being able to keep ones shoes on whilst changing.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.