Skirt Wearing Tips

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Re: Skirt Wearing Tips

Post by Yonkas »

beachlion wrote:I wear skirts (and kilts) mainly for comfort. The last thing I would do is to make a fashion statement.
I wear skirts the same way as shorts. The fabric and color is more or less identical. So what fits with shorts will also fit with skirts in my case.
If I try to shave my legs, I will be banned from the house and have to sleep in de doghouse. Thinking of it, we don't even have a dog. :shock:
Sure. It's unfair of me to think that we are all activists. Of course, do what you want, and in your case, it might be a matter of self preservation!
beachlion wrote:For tips: it is always simple to start with kilts. When they are used to the idea, change to dark colored skirts and see how you will be comfortable with shorter and/or more colorful skirts.
Go first where they don't know you to get used to the feeling of wearing skirts. Then go closer to home.
Excellent tip. I wish I had gone this route, instead being late for work regularly for months because I had been agonizing for hours, in the morning, about whether I should really wear the floral-patterned skirts that I have.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

First off let me say this, these are MY OPINIONS and do not have to be agreed upon by anyone but ME!!! :lol:

I wear what I want where I want when I want!! I shave my legs [because they look like hell since the hair is splotchy and sparse] I have done this since before I even thought of wearing a skirt. :hooray:

I carry a shoulder bag that can be carried as a purse. I do not worry about what others think. It is their problem not mine. :)

I do not wear make-up or try to look like a female I am not, I am straight fat ugly MALE!! Get used to it!! :twisted:

As for bulges everyone has them don't worry about them you will not go to jail because you show a bulge somewhere.

As for being an activist, well we are what we are! I do not try to make people believe they should wear any type of clothing other than what they themselves are comfortable in, either pants, shorts, skirts, dresses, etc. etc. I am also not a fashion designer nor do I make fashion rules for anyone other than my self and if others don't like them then TS.

If I have offended anyone then as my Gramp's used to say "TOO BAD!!"

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Yonkas wrote:I too, have noticed that the handbag carries more baggage than it should.
Worse is that the notice/objections are local. It's perfectly normal for European guys to carry small handbags for the general "stuff" that we all need to nowadays, and this has been the case for years. They learn to deal with them and to not forget them in places and fall to hand as naturally as pockets do for use on this side of the Atlantic. Now, if you've got something the size of a shopping-bag over your shoulder, that's a bit on the large size, but clutch-sized bags are fairly common "over there".

The trick is "Don't worry about it" and behave like it's the most normal thing in the world; odds are you won't get any flak for that. I happily carry one when I don't have sufficient pockets and have yet to get any substantial grief from anybody. I get questions, yes, but not grief. I have three; one is a custom-build crochet design executed in twine of all things that was done by my ex, another that was given to me by a friend or a friend, and a nice little sequinned clutch that also has a shoulder strap. The crocheted one is the one that generates all the questions, and the description of the need, the design, and provenance shuts questioners up handily.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I actually prefer carrying a purse/pocket book/handbag, whatever you want to call it. I wish I could carry one during my professional life (the part where I have to play the traditional "man" role, and don the uniform that accompanies it). And I suppose I could [carry a purse], but I just don't feel like dealing with the abuse and anxiety that comes with it. I boldly wore my lavender colored nail polish to work one day several months ago, and pretty much immediately regretted it. Lots of strange looks, lots of faint whispers... Well now things are finally starting to die down and I just want to leave well enough alone.

Carrying a billfold in your back pocket is hard on your back. Especially on long rides in a vehicle.

Mom's coming to visit me on Saturday. I plan to wear a simple black skirt and a dark top, nothing too feminine. However I will also carry the purse as it's how I've adjusted to carrying my belongings on the weekend. I expect she'll probably have a smart Alec thing to say about the purse. I'm also not sure she realizes I shave my legs either. This will be the first time she's seen me this way.

Could be interesting.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Also, and going along with "Skirt Wearing Tips"...

One mistake I made early on when confronting family and friends about this or that, was to say "well lots of guys do it", as though that makes it bonafide.

To add to Fred's comment, I'll say that it doesn't matter if I'm the only one in the world that does something a certain way... it's my way, and that's all the reason I need.

So now when someone ask me "why do you shave your legs?", "why do you carry a purse?", etc etc... no long will I reply "well lots of guys do it". Nope... it's "because I like it that way."

:flower:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yonkas, whilst we all have the rights to our own opinions your original missive suffered from three main faults.

Firstly it was far too long. A series of shorter posts would have been far more effective and generate more reasoned discussion. The coverage was too wide for anyone to discuss the whole and hence we have had to settle on one or two issues n our response.

Secondly your language was too dogmatic. Do this and don't do that. Your point on shaving was an example of this. Some, like myself, have very fair leg hair and it isn't noticed. Others don't and it is up to the individual whether they shave or not. To say that cyclists or swimmers shave so that makes it acceptable is a bit of a red herring. To my charge that in half of the world men wear skirts of some description MOH would respond by saying that I should move there then. Cycling/swimming are speciality sports and the standards are different.

Thirdly you also seem to make glib assumptions about what society seems to find acceptable without consideration that things are as different in Yorkshire here as they are in London or the USA or even in France, Germany or Spain and the tolerances of differences from the norm are completely different.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Firstly it was far too long. A series of shorter posts would have been far more effective and generate more reasoned discussion. The coverage was too wide for anyone to discuss the whole and hence we have had to settle on one or two issues n our response.
Well, I can say this much, thread drift shouldn't be an issue since the OP covered a pretty wide spectrum of skirt topics! :lol:
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote:I wear skirts (and kilts) mainly for comfort. The last thing I would do is to make a fashion statement.
I wear skirts the same way as shorts. The fabric and color is more or less identical. So what fits with shorts will also fit with skirts in my case.
If I try to shave my legs, I will be banned from the house and have to sleep in de doghouse. Thinking of it, we don't even have a dog. :shock:

For tips: it is always simple to start with kilts. When they are used to the idea, change to dark colored skirts and see how you will be comfortable with shorter and/or more colorful skirts.
Go first where they don't know you to get used to the feeling of wearing skirts. Then go closer to home.
Very much along the lines of my thinking on skirts. You are lucky you don't have a dog as you won't have to share. :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

moonshadow wrote:In public I get more flack for carrying a purse than for any other article I've worn nothing no matter how feminine. Strange really.... :?
I have never received any negative comments for carrying a purse… on the contrary, I've had many women compliment me on them. Guys do not comment at all.
I have literally had people tell me.... "uh... why are you carrying a pocket book?" Totally ignoring the skirt. When I reply that my skirts don't have pockets they seem confused as though I should just carry stuff by hand.
If I do get a comment, I also take the opportunity to mention that my skirt doesn't have pockets, or has too small pockets. That brings the skirt into the conversation which is always good!

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:...I have never received any negative comments for carrying a purse… on the contrary, I've had many women compliment me on them. Guys do not comment at all...
It seems that very few, if any, men carry briefcases or attaché cases anymore. Instead, they carry backpacks or shoulder bags, whatever size it takes to carry their laptop or tablet. Shoulder bags. Purses. Except that they're rectangular.

I don't carry a lot in my bag -- only what I'd put in my pockets -- and I only carry a bag when my skirt lacks enough pockets. But I'm getting used to it. And I'm staring to think about carrying one all the time.

Remember fanny packs? Much worse.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:In public I get more flack for carrying a purse than for any other article I've worn nothing no matter how feminine. Strange really.... :?
How unusual. That's never happened to me, in fact, I've gotten compliments here and there when it comes to my purses. Hell, I wouldn't even think of leaving the house without a purse on my outings.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
Grok wrote:Unshaved legs are okay with a kilt. A kilt is relatively long, and combined with kilt hose (or plain old socks) there isn't much leg showing.

However, I can imagine the hairy legs thing being a liability if you should wear a garment shorter than a kilt.

I'm in the leave the hairy legs group. I wear shorts and don't shave my legs I don't. Think it would be any diffrent when wearing a skirt. I don't mind people knowing I'm. A hairy guy in a skirt.
My wife loves my hairy legs, now if I only could get her to like them in a skirt.
In general I have never figured out the leg shaving thing with the ladies anyway.
I have told my wife she don't have to shave her legs, I don't make my wife do anything that I would not be willing to do. sometimes she let's them get fuzzy :) cheetah girl :) peach fuzz ladies legs are not really hairy in the same way guys legs are.

So be a man and leave the hair.
Here is a picture of my skirted hairy legs
Mishawaka

I'm in the same group as you Mishawaka. Love to show my hairy legs. Btw that skirt looks great !!

Cheers,

Tes
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My legs and the rest of my body isn't very hairy at all. And I've always liked a smooth body rather than a hairy one even when puberty attacked and I started to grow hair everywhere. Now that I wear skirts I have a "legitimate" reason for shaving my legs.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My Neanderthal ancestors transmitted a dominant gene in my direction thus ensuring that I have very hairy legs which would require a golf course ride-on to trim.
I also shower regularly with other rowers after outings and a pair of shaved legs would raise eyebrows in that company, so, skirts or no, they remain very masculine.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I'm fortunate that I don't have hairy legs, something I personally find repulsive. I prefer that smooth hairless profile which makes my legs look great when wearing short skirts sans hosiery in the spring and summer. But, that's just me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.