Why is it?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why is it?

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I second what Dennis said.

And will go a couple further. If I'm in an extensive women's department, I'll ask, "Where can I try this on?" and usually get directed to the fitting rooms for that department. Why not? They're all single user stalls, so what's the dif?

In Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. I get directed to the Men's side, except one time, a cute young woman, with a delightful French accent (what she was doing on the West Coast fo the US, I'll never know) directed me to the Women's side explaining, "C'mon! Be who you are!" I was only slightly tempted to argue with her, but let's face it, the ultra acceptance just added to the kick of using the other side. The stalls are a little nicer and better lit anyway.

Come to think of it, I can't even remember what I was trying on or whether I bought it!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:...one time, a cute young woman, with a delightful French accent (what she was doing on the West Coast fo the US, I'll never know) directed me to the Women's side explaining, "C'mon! Be who you are!" I was only slightly tempted to argue with her, but let's face it, the ultra acceptance just added to the kick of using the other side. The stalls are a little nicer and better lit anyway...
Great move! As long as they accept you, don't quibble about it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Tackleberry wrote:Why is it when you go onto a website to browse for skirts and you see one you like and it's out of stock or not in your size?
That's quite annoying :lol:
I think they do that just to drag you in, It happens all the time.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Tackleberry wrote:Why is it when you go onto a website to browse for skirts and you see one you like and it's out of stock or not in your size?
That's quite annoying :lol:
You may have to be willing to pay full price before the stock has been picked over and the remainders put on sale.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The other part of the equation is the whole structure of the fashion industry.

The average American woman wears a size 14. However, the designs are based on making a size 0-4 look good and the manufacturing, purchasing, etc. assumes that the average woman wears a size 10 and they use a normal distribution above and below 10 to dictate their ordering. Consequently, there's always an oversupply in the smaller sizes and a shortage in the larger sizes and little of it is particularly designed to flatter the average woman!

If that business model makes sense to you, I'm sure there's always room for yet another Kool-Aid drinker.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:The other part of the equation is the whole structure of the fashion industry....
Oh, is that how the big box stores do it? Frankly, I see so much waste, inefficiency, and stupidity in how big business is run that I'm amazed they survive.

For clothing stores where I'm familiar with the ordering process, they start with a reasonable guess as to how sizes will sell, and then as things sell will adjust future orders to match what is selling. Then, too, the designer whose work I am most familiar with actually designs with real women in mind, not a runway fantasy. Apparently I have a distorted worm's eye view of the whole thing :shock:
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've never seen a worm two meters tall :wink:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Tor wrote:...For clothing stores where I'm familiar with the ordering process, they start with a reasonable guess as to how sizes will sell, and then as things sell will adjust future orders to match what is selling. Then, too, the designer whose work I am most familiar with actually designs with real women in mind, not a runway fantasy. Apparently I have a distorted worm's eye view of the whole thing...
In a perfect world this would always be true.

But although I have absolutely no experience buying skirts at the wholesale level, it does seem that buyers sometimes buy a standard distribution of sizes for the season and when those run out, they run out.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Bbath2003 wrote:There's a cross dresser shop near my house I buy there a lot becus they keep more in the 10 to 16 range and it's nice to be able to ask to try something on and they don't look at you funny.
In ordinary stores with men's and women's clothes (like Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Kohl's, Sears, etc.), you can just take a few skirts to the men's fitting room and try them on. If you want to try something on in a women's clothing store like Dress Barn, Talbots, etc.), ask a clerk -- chances are you will be treated nicely. They want to make sales, and as society evolves, more sales people understand that there are non-traditional males shopping in women's wear stores for themselves. If you are acting like a shopper looking for something to buy, they will probably not "look at you funny".

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote:I would have thought that with 12 - 16 being the most popular sizes that it would be obvious that they would sell out first. I'm a 14 or 16 depending on the brand so yes, I suffer from the same problem. Especially on the sales rack where there are plenty of 8's, 10's, 18's and 20+'s. Don't get me started on dresses where I am an 18, 20 or 22 top but 14 or 16 bottom. The black art of women's sizes.
I used to practice the Rule of 20.
Rule of 20 take 20 away from any waist size i.e. waist 36 less 20 = women's (misses) size of 16 or juniors size (odd numbers) 35-20 = a 15.
But now with a great deal of clothing coming from China and SE Asia as well as the Caribbean throw the ole rule book away. If the skirt fits wear it !
The uniform sizing between manufacturers is almost non-existent. Best to get a skirt or waist relevant garment with an elastic waist. Zippered or buttoned
waist lines are not terribly forgiving. Either it is right on or ??? With a larger waist it is possible for a seamstress tailor to reduce it to fit but at a cost.
Making a smaller garment larger is even more costly and takes skill to add material to fill the gap to fit and even look right.
Dresses are a tad bit easier but beware of the Omar the Tent Maker folly !
Some things were never meant to be.
Take care being Don Quixote and fighting Impossible Mission windmills.
End result is custom made clothing !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !