Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Feedback?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Liino

Re: Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Feedback?

Post by Liino »

Hi Joe, Awesome you are pursuing another skirt design, I like the curved seams and rear zipper, it makes them different and unique. A side zipper could as well for this skirt, I think it would be easy to use too.The length is also appealing, just makes them easier for things like getting in and out of cars and sitting on high bar seats. I like and am looking forward to getting 1 or 2. Good stuff!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Looking at the photos again the drape under the curving seam seems to change and appears disconnected from the material above. See closely in the first two photos where he folds go right to left above the seam and down below the seam. I can see this possibly being more accentuated the more times the skirt is cleaned and the material softens. It may just be me but it could be a problem with the skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Couya wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: .Sadly, unless you offer a SMALLER size, I Still can't be a customer. 28-30 waist here.

RG
Finding clothing that fits has always been a problem for me, and as obesity becomes the norm, it will be harder still to find small sizes. I have been wondering whether I should try to fatten up, but I don't want to, as I have no wish to throw out all my 28-inch garments, nor have extra weight on my feet.

Martin
Thanks for the size feedback! If I'm able to proceed with this design, I'll try to go at least one size smaller.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

denimini wrote:This is not the length of skirt I would wear but being a designer myself I would like to offer some comments.
The 2 major curved seams look good; they make it look a bit like a wrap type garment and certainly adds interest to what would be a very plain skirt. I think the good sized pockets could be better integrated into these seams, at least one seam becoming the pocket edge. I do not like the curved seam continuation from the rear zip, it looks like the skirt is twisted. I can understand why you don't want a front zip and I think it looks good without. I suggest trying to work the zip into the area where one pocket can not be integrated with the seam - there is a area where the top of the pocket could be continued to create the flap for the hook fastener at the waist band and perhaps part of the pocket edge covering the zip .... errrr I would have to draw it. I have a Ted Baker mini skirt that has fastener atop both pockets and enough of a split hidden in the pocket to accommodate getting over the hips, no zips the pockets a deep enough that you small change will not fall out. The fastener could be velcro as you have belt loops for security.

You mention linen as a layer; why not all linen? It is a great material, hangs well, feels good, cool in summer. I have been searching for a linen skirt of a style that I would wear.

A commendable challenge to be sure; good luck.
Thanks very much for the design feedback, Denimini!

Each pocket's "back" edge is actually a primary seam already, but maybe I misunderstood you on that point?

Based on all of the feedback I've collected, the most likely change (though not quite certain yet) is to relocate the zipper to at or just behind one of the pockets. Personally, I think it's a little more difficult to reach it there with both hands, compared to the back center, but it seems that people prefer it for a few reasons, including the appearance and not liking to have to reach for it blindly.

I have experimented with the whole skirt being linen, but the creasing seemed to be a problem. I know that's just part of wearing linen, but I think a number of people would be bothered by it.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Sinned wrote:Looking at the photos again the drape under the curving seam seems to change and appears disconnected from the material above. See closely in the first two photos where he folds go right to left above the seam and down below the seam. I can see this possibly being more accentuated the more times the skirt is cleaned and the material softens. It may just be me but it could be a problem with the skirt.
Good point, Sinned. If this product goes ahead, then I'll keep this in mind when making final fabric source selections, in consultation with the company that helps me with the development process. And I'll see how multiple wash cycles affect it. Part of it my be a natural effect of having seams: they do interrupt the drape and folds of the fabric. But I wouldn't want that effect to be too strong, and in particular I'm looking forward to finding out if long, curved seams are a concern here, or not.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

finrod wrote:Based on all of the feedback I've collected, the most likely change (though not quite certain yet) is to relocate the zipper to at or just behind one of the pockets. Personally, I think it's a little more difficult to reach it there with both hands, compared to the back center, but it seems that people prefer it for a few reasons, including the appearance and not liking to have to reach for it blindly.

I have experimented with the whole skirt being linen, but the creasing seemed to be a problem. I know that's just part of wearing linen, but I think a number of people would be bothered by it.
I have a number of skirts with either side or rear zippers. The only small problem with rear zippers is it can be difficult to hook whatever button/hook you place at the top of the zipper. That is easily solved by hooking it at the side or front and rotating the skirt. That's what I had to do with the rear zip skirt I wore today.

I have two linen skirts (with rear zip and nice pockets on each side seam) from Lands' End. Yes they wrinkle, that's what linen does. When I first got them I pressed the wrinkles out but they returned almost immediately. Now I just live with the wrinkles. They also have a cotton inner liner, I assume to prevent see through. I found them to be great skirts to wear once the San Francisco wind died down in October, the sun was still bright and temps in the mid-60s F.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

To provide an update for anyone who may be interested: this skirt's Kickstarter campaign is launching tomorrow (er, depending on your time zone), Wednesday, June 20th!

The product page has more details about the final version of the skirt. At the top there's a More Details link to detailed information about the Kickstarter campaign. There's also a countdown timer page that will take you to the project once it's live.

Questions and feedback are welcome!

Joe
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I like the look of it and the pockets, curved seams, belt loops and rear zip. Far too long for me but that is not a criticism, just a matter of preference.
I have two mini skirts with pockets, belt loops and rear zip that I prefer to the multitudes of front zip versions. The front zip always looks like a traditional pants fly, which doesn't make sense on a skirt, and I like the simpler front panel, especially when there are the desirable belt loops and pockets involved.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

I love it and the colors. Appreciate the sizing that is available. I would get an unaligned but a 30 is big on me
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

finrod wrote:To provide an update for anyone who may be interested: this skirt's Kickstarter campaign is launching tomorrow (er, depending on your time zone), Wednesday, June 20th!
Joe
Nice to see someone trying to change the world, so to speak. I hope you are successful.

Regarding the skirt, I do like several aspects of the design, such as belt loops and pockets. The heavy weight material is an attraction too, although grey would not be my first choice of colour. One thing that struck me about the curved design is that it would seem to lend itself to being made two-tone. This, I would imagine, would accentuate the design as well as giving 'purpose'. I think I was left a bit perplexed by the curved seams as they seemed to be neither arty nor functional.
aquaskirt.jpg
What do you think? I should add that the curves didn't put me off though.

I was curious to see that the skirt length seems to be fixed at 21" regardless of size and wonder if it was a conscious decision not to increase it proportionally against the waist size. In my experience, on longer skirts at least, lengths for the larger waist sizes can be about an inch, or just over, longer than for the smallest waist measurement. This tends to keep the hem at more or less the same relative height on the leg, e.g. knee length.

From my own perspective, as with Denimini, 21" inches is probably too long to make me a potential customer, as I rarely wear skirts past about 12".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

finrod wrote:To provide an update for anyone who may be interested: this skirt's Kickstarter campaign is launching tomorrow (er, depending on your time zone), Wednesday, June 20th!...
Best of luck, but to me it seems rather bland.

It's a noble effort, and I might buy one just to support the cause, but I'll have to see the price.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's rather long for me and I prefer the blue as grey is not a colour I really support. I might try and see if I can get MOH's approval as that would be the only thing to stop me buying one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. :D

SkirtsDad: the curving lines are meant to make the design more interesting than, say, a plain 4-panel skirt. I agree it's not that bold of a design choice - and the purple swoosh looks awesome! The balance I try to strike is to make the design universal enough that it will appeal to a reasonably wide range of tastes, while at the same time making it unique and interesting enough to justify the cost, which is somewhat high compared to what people are generally used to paying for clothes in this era. Side note: the price is what it is due to the product being made in the US, and in small batches by industry standards.

Your point about skirt length is interesting. The advice I got from the startup clothing manufacturing company that helped me with the first product was: larger waist size doesn't imply greater height, so don't make the length depend it. Although, it's also true that there is some correlation between the two.

Caultron: the price is $69 plus shipping ($11 US, $16 Canada, $23 all other countries).

Sinned: I love the blue, myself. If we get to the extra-color stretch goals, I'm curious to see how much support it will receive in the survey.

The project stands at 86% of goal at the end of day 2. 8)

Joe
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Delivered !

Post by johnb »

I received my Aqueous skirt today. My wife hadn't been impressed when she found out the price from a credit card statement, and was less impressed today when I had to pay £20 in customs charges when I collected it from the sorting office, not Skirtcrafts fault. Those negatives aside I'm very happy with it, and below it a quick picture that I took when I treid it on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfN5rNQZ2asdGdJv8

John
finrod
Distinguished Member

Re: Skirtcraft Aqueous Skirt - Delivered !

Post by finrod »

johnb wrote:I received my Aqueous skirt today. My wife hadn't been impressed when she found out the price from a credit card statement, and was less impressed today when I had to pay £20 in customs charges when I collected it from the sorting office, not Skirtcrafts fault. Those negatives aside I'm very happy with it, and below it a quick picture that I took when I treid it on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfN5rNQZ2asdGdJv8

John
John, thanks for sharing the photo. :D

If you (or anyone else) has an Aqueous skirt photo they'd like to contribute to Skirtcraft's public album on Flickr (which is also displayed at skirtcraft.com), please let me know!
Joe