Never skirted in public

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bbath2003

Never skirted in public

Post by Bbath2003 »

Hi my name is ben im new to the site. I love wearing skirts. When at home that's art I wear. I have even gone as far as doing some yard work in them. But I don't really have anyone living around me so no big deal. But my question is how did you get up the balls to go out in public for the first time and what did you wear?
Last edited by Bbath2003 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Never skirted in public

Post by crfriend »

The first time is always the worst, and since that's the case, you're not likely to be at your best.

I solved the issue by getting very comfortable with all the basics with a fair bit of practise around the house, and by the time I'd made my mind up that it was time to "go public" it actually wasn't all that big of a deal. I got the inevitable ribbing from my pals for it, but also -- even on "day one" -- got numerous compliments. The key is comfort in dealing with the "alien garment" and the confidence to know that you are doing precisely nothing "wrong".

I have yet to encounter a black helicopter whilst wearing a skirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

The first time was a late night walk, around my GF's place, which was far enough from my place that it felt, "safe" (got my GF to go with me for courage) Then a couple of early morning walks near my place, then on a long drive for a weekend event. After that, I got myself a bit more courage and attended some parties which the landlord (friend) had upstairs. Some of the people who attended were co-workers. Then we had a trip to the East coast, and I spent most of that skirted. The big step was wearing at work, I asked first and was given a go ahead, but it still took 2 months to get the courage to do it.

At each stage, there was a definite fear and concern, but eventually I got past the idea that there was going to be any earth shattering disaster. At this point, I know even if there is some challenge or problem, I have enough people in my corner that it is going to be simply a problem of living with whoever has the issue, and as far as I'm concerned, they are the ones that are going to have to adapt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote:At this point, I know even if there is some challenge or problem, I have enough people in my corner that it is going to be simply a problem of living with whoever has the issue, and as far as I'm concerned, they are the ones that are going to have to adapt.
This is clearly when the problem can be considered "licked" by an individual.

One's "inner circle" of friends and acquaintances is certainly important, but what's even more important is knowing "in your heart of hearts" what you wear hurts precisely no-one. Sure, it may offend a few fossilised types, but that's to be expected and does not constitute harm.

I tried to call up whilst I was composing this missive what I was wearing when I "interviewed" for the apartment I now dwell in -- and I can't for the life of me recall what it was. However, with that said, it was quite likely a skirt because I got a return 'phone call from the potential landlord whilst I was at work and simply went to the meeting in what I was wearing at the time. Quite obviously, as time has proved, whatever it was wasn't any sort of hindrance, nor should it have been. Happily, I seem to be regarded fondly in my house-setting, respected for what I am capable of, and have robust relationships with all here -- and I suspect the skirts don't play any meaningful role.

I still get playful abuse from my pals for my sartorial sense, but that's what friends are for. They are the ones that help keep us honest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The transition can be made all that more easier with starting with a kilt.
In gradual steps move from the tartan pattern of the kilt to a tartan pattern of a kilted skirt.
Then made adjustments to the length of your preference.

Radical jumping all in with pastels; light colors and floral patterns mini-skirt lengths are not recommended
until you have a gut feeling of how your community is going to react and accept your new lifestyle.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bbath2003 wrote:Hi my name is can new to the site. I love wearing skirts. When at home that's art I wear. I have even gone as far as doing some yard work in them. But I don't really have anyone living around me so no big deal. But my question is how did you get up the balls to go out in public for the first time and what did you wear?
I started with a black utility kilt that I wore to a tattoo convention.

I ordered the kilt, then told my wife I had, and explained it was for the tattoo event where lots of people wear off-the-beaten-pack clothes. She didn't like the idea at all but said that if I wanted to go out looking like an idiot, I should go ahead.

At the tattoo show I got no negative comments, several compliments, and I won first place in the back piece competition.

After that I sometimes wore the kilt around the house and eventually bought more to wear for hiking. One thing led to another and now I go skirted 98% of the time.

The first time just takes planning and courage. Wear something you like that's fairly conservative, pick your destination, and just do it. Denim knee-length skirts, gas stations, and convenience stores seem to be popular but don't feel bound by that.

Keep calm. Act just as you would if you were wearing trousers. Never cower or cringe. Relax and casually look around. You'll be absolutely amazed at how absolutely little, if at all, people care.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Caultron wrote: Keep calm. Act just as you would if you were wearing trousers. Never cower or cringe. Relax and casually look around. You'll be absolutely amazed at how absolutely little, if at all, people care.
Exactly. I had a conversation with a new employee a few days ago, it started when she complimented me on the colour of the tights I was wearing, (fairly bright blue, a new one for me) and bemoaning not being able to find fun colours herself. During the conversation I mentioned how I had been surprised by the lack of questions and the generally non-event it turned out to be when I started wearing skirts to work. She thought it was mainly because I just got on with things and didn't make it out to be a big thing.

Fake it till you make it.
Bbath2003

Post by Bbath2003 »

I do have a kilt that I have wore a few times. But I guess it's just the thought that kilts are for men even if there not main stream poeple know that and skirts are for women. I guess I just worry to much about what others think.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Bbath2003 wrote: I guess I just worry to much about what others think.
That's a pretty common characteristic of people.

My advice to you is... don't [worry what others think]. When that notion really seeps down in your soul, you'll find that you can pretty much do anything you want, provided it's legal, and even then, you're free provided you don't get caught. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The easiest first time is to go and get gas for your car. Do it early in the morning or late at night . Use the last pump you can almost hide behind your car door. Wear a plain denim or black skirt try about knee length
sneakers socks and a non tucked in shirt that covers most of the skirt. That's the start ,short trips leave yourself an escape route until you get some confidence. That's how I started. It takes a while but there is no rush.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The timing could not be better - as this is the bestest time of the year to pull it off (or put in on) !
After all this is Halloween and anything goes.
Enjoy this window of opportunity to experiment and go with the flow.
Find out what you need to do keep yourself decent and modest or what the hey what not to do !
Does getting in and out of a car cause problems - riding a bicycle - trying to sit on a bar stool -
climbing stairs riding escalators/glass elevators - oh we all know about bending over and squatting
to pick up pieces and parts - crossing the legs when sitting - just how far do you need to go in
practicing other basic movements ?

Don't have a magic mirror on the wall - invite the SO or close friend who knows of your affinity
for unbifurcated fashions to cross check your exposure; movements and how you match clothing
items together. Initially don't do the full enchilada - wearing more than you are comfortable with.
Skirts don't have pockets unless a custom creation - so what are you going do with all that male
stuff that weights your pockets down - unless it is a kilt a sporran doesn't fit well - a fanny (bum)
bag may work but with what skirts - can you get by with a small clutch - a cross body bag - a purse
or perhaps a messenger/shoulder bag. Perhaps you are going light with a thigh type of bag which
crfriend has a humors attack when you lift the kilt apron going for that big gun to make payment
on that bar bill. Carl still hasn't forgiven me for this spewing his aged scotch drink allover his keyboard !

So now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party and I am not referring to political
parties here but the SkirtCafe members party getting the uninitiated initiated in skirt wear !

Happy skirted Halloween !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Bbath2003

Post by Bbath2003 »

Wow never thought of using Halloween as a reason to skirt good tip. I have a few jean skirts that have pockets. But there small lol I have to keep my phone in the back ones so it fits.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ben, you made the statement that you thought that skirts were for women. Forget it - fewer women are wearing skirts nowadays so to say that a skirt is a woman's garment is nonsense. I work in a homewear store - bedding, curtains that sort of thing, so I see a fair range of women and most of them wear jeans or trousers. In winter time I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of skirts or dresses I see in an 8 hour day. Skirts are not just for women. Now I just have to convince MOH of that.

As for the balls - the first time is definitely the worst and once you are over that it's downhill all the way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

have to agree with sinned on this one. Women hardly wear skirts except for a formal night or in the office . Even at work skirts are rarely worn. I have had 3 instances when I was in the direct company of 3 or more women
and I was the only one wearing a skirt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have related this before but I was once in our local chemist and there were seven people in the store - six women and me. I commented to one of the staff that I was the only one in the shop wearing a skirt. Go figure.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.