Never skirted in public

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Never skirted in public

Post by dillon »

A utility kilt or even a tartan will be the easiest to go public in, if you're nervous. Next come knee length skirts in blue or black denim, or in camo print. You might consider a masculine workman look, so you could substitute hiking or work boots or trail sandals for your loafers or sneakers. If you wear a tartan kilt, however, there are fashion protocols that the Scots in out group could apprise you of. I'd at least wear street shoes and knee socks, if not ghillies and kilt hose. with a tartan; that's why I don't have any of them. Maxi skirts are also fairly easy to go out (or come out) in. I'd stay with muted darker shades at first, save the brighter colors and patterns for a time when it has become old hat to you. Choose venues where you'd expect a socially liberal crowd. You'll do fine.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

My first outings were in the nearby woods. 20 bike minutes away is a stretch of wood where paths for mountain bikers are made. It is quite isolated and depending on the time of the day or the day in the week it is very quiet. On my 2 to 3 hour hikes, I might see 0 to 10 people. I change behind the bushes and walk in a mini skirt.
With the nice weather I now make bike trips in skirts and do some grocery shopping in kilts. I'm still not there but I'm working on it.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Sinned wrote:. . . In winter time I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of skirts or dresses I see in an 8 hour day. Skirts are not just for women.
I fell sorry for some of you who are wearing the only skirt in eye-shot.
Just a few hours ago I decided to walk over to a museum in my corner of SF. It was a fine day, mid 60s (F), sunny and low wind. When I got to the corner I could see three woman walking near me. All four of us were wearing skirts. :D
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Bbath2003

Post by Bbath2003 »

I wish there were some guys in my area that skirted it would make it easyer with someone else. I'm in South East michigan.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bbath2003 wrote:I wish there were some guys in my area that skirted it would make it easyer with someone else. I'm in South East michigan.
I know. I felt the same way myself for a while. But in the end, you have to be your own man.

Today I went for a hour-long walk in the park, met an old friend for lunch at a sports bar, went to the post office, and then went to the dentist all dressed in a men's shirt, a 20" cordorey pencil skirt, tights, 3" heels, and a messenger bag. No problems except for one guy in the dentist's waiting room who gave me a dirty look. Oh well. If he wants to manufacture a bad day for himself, that's his business.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Bbath2003 wrote:I wish there were some guys in my area that skirted it would make it easyer with someone else. I'm in South East michigan.
All I can do is pass along the refrain from Woody Guthrie's famous song "Lonesome Valley"

You gotta walk that lonesome valley,
You gotta walk it by yourself,
Nobody here can walk it for you,
You gotta walk it by yourself.

Good luck; just do what you know you must.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

All you fellas saying that you hardly ever see women wearing skirts and dresses, come on to my neck of the woods!

They're everywhere! I'd put it at a 50/50 ratio (women only) deep in the coal fields. Of course most of them are unflattering potato sacks (lots of Apostolics 'round these parts), but I've seen some older women (think great grandma) totally rocking some pretty awesome garments that I would totally wear, and I'd say Carl would enjoy many of them too as some are along his style. (minus the shirt and vest obviously)

Now men in skirts.... not so much. Not until Trail Days anyway. :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

My first time in public was walking around Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass. one sunny afternoon. I had on a T-shirt and a very plain green corduroy skirt of about knee length. The Skirt Café was probably the biggest factor that made me "take the plunge"… making me ask myself "W H Y N O T ?" I was apprehensive for about 30 seconds of my walk. Then I began smiling, and felt really happy that "you know, it really is possible for a guy to wear a skirt". I watched for people's reactions, and saw NONE. I enjoyed seeing my reflection in store windows, enjoyed interacting with people, and generally felt great! It also made me regret not having tried skirts many years earlier.

It was slightly different to first wear a skirt in my home town around people I knew. As a "gateway" garment I ordered a modern kilt (Elkommando by Mountain Hardwear) and wore it on several occasions, and it was noticed immediately and became a topic of pleasant conversation. I gradually moved to plain hiking skirts, denim skirts, and a variety of more girly skirts as I became more comfortable being known as a proud skirt wearer and skirt ambassador (taking any opportunity to mention how great they are).

I wear skirts most of the time in warm weather and am a happier, true-to-myself guy when wearing them.

Take that plunge… chances are extremely high that you'll be glad you did! And like others say, it only gets easier each time.

----- Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] I've seen some older women (think great grandma) totally rocking some pretty awesome garments that I would totally wear, and I'd say Carl would enjoy many of them too as some are along his style. (minus the shirt and vest obviously)
Cherish those, and photograph (with permission) if you can; that's a dying breed. I'm pretty sure my great-grandmother likely wore some pretty awesome stuff in her younger years, but she's been dead for almost 60 years (1876 - 1959).

Those who are wearing something for religious purposes can be safely removed from the equation as they're wearing a uniform; what counts is what arises from free choice. Look around at one's own generation and see what's being done. Where I am, it's pretty discouraging.
Now men in skirts.... not so much. Not until Trail Days anyway. :|
There's at least one in Damascus year-round. 8)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: My advice to you is... don't [worry what others think]. When that notion really seeps down in your soul, you'll find that you can pretty much do anything you want, provided it's legal, and even then, you're free provided you don't get caught. :wink:
That is so true, once you have mastered not worrying about what people think you have the freedom to wear whatever you like without fiddling around with skirts that look like pants or men's kilts. Perhaps if my unfounded fear and loathings were true and people did point and sneer, laugh or shout abuse, I still would worry about what people thought. The fact is that most people don't notice what you are wearing and if they take a second glance, they don't care. Once you realise this, there is nothing to worry about.
The first outing is the hardest because despite all the advice given, you are not convinced it will be so easy. There might be the odd person that will give a look of distain but they are so few that it is easy to not care about what they might think. So don't worry about the majority and don't care about the minority.

I found that away from my home town was easier to start and by the time I had been exposed to busy cities and many country towns, it was easy to allow myself to be sighted in a skirt in my home town, no doubt there was some gossip but that becomes boring for people pretty quick and they move onto the next revelation.
It is better to act confident for the first few times until you gain real confidence.

Enjoy the rush of the first outings - I miss it.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
emills

Post by emills »

I (respectfully, of course), have a slightly different view. If you're going to wear the shorts with one leg hole, own it, and be proud of it! Wear it on the town square at 1pm on a Wednesday. Hold your head high, and defy anyone to make a disparaging remarks, lest you pummel them with your wot and your pride, and never let anyone tell you that you can't.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

emills wrote:I (respectfully, of course), have a slightly different view. If you're going to wear the shorts with one leg hole, own it, and be proud of it! Wear it on the town square at 1pm on a Wednesday. Hold your head high, and defy anyone to make a disparaging remarks, lest you pummel them with your wot and your pride, and never let anyone tell you that you can't.
Hear hear!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

emills wrote:I (respectfully, of course), have a slightly different view. If you're going to wear the shorts with one leg hole, own it, and be proud of it! Wear it on the town square at 1pm on a Wednesday. Hold your head high, and defy anyone to make a disparaging remarks, lest you pummel them with your wot and your pride, and never let anyone tell you that you can't.
Couldn't have said that better myself! Bravo! Never, and I mean NEVER be ashamed to be a male skirt wearer!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I took my first steps throwing the trash skirted at my apartment complex. I would usually wait until one of my neighbors arrived at the complex's parking lot before I went out with the trash to throw in the bin. My denim mini was my choice but also tried my mocker or workman utilikilt.

I remember the initial look of surprise was responded with a smile and "hi, how is it going". Just treat it as it was the most normal thing to do.

Cheers,

Tes
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

JeffB1959 wrote:
Couldn't have said that better myself! Bravo! Never, and I mean NEVER be ashamed to be a male skirt wearer!
Completely agree.

The first time is always the first time no matter when you decide to do it. If you want to wear your skirt do so. It is only hard the first time because you yourself are conscious of it. Don't. Own it, be proud of it after all you want to wear it. Be you, be yourself, true to yourself. The negative ones are spoiling their own day so don't let them spoil yours.

On the first occasion it is easier if you go out with a partner or friend. At the end of the day, deep breath, big step the future there after is far more liberating than being dictated to my society which does not dictate to itself.

Good luck

Jeremy
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.