Skirted in the house

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Skirted in the house

Post by beachlion »

Since a year, I wear kilts in and around the house. A few of them I made myself. One of them is a kilt in denim.
I also wear skirts when on my hikes in nearby woods, but the family knows nothing about that. Recently I made a denim skirt slightly shorter than my denim kilt. Yesterday I went to the beach and wore the denim skirt in the car back home. Near home I changed into shorts in the car. Happily, I'm quite flexible but it will not become a hobby for me. So today I put on the denim skirt and came down for breakfast. Nobody noticed. Now, after more than 10 hours, still nobody noticed and I will not tell them. They have to discover it for themselves.
P1010605q.jpg
Tomorrow, I will go on a bike ride in this skirt. I will put the bike in the car and drive to the start, all in this skirt. I did this before with changing along the route. But the feeling of biking in a skirt is great.
I0110727q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by beachlion on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirted in the house

Post by Caultron »

"Came down for breakfast," where? With your family? And they didn't notice or care? If so, very cool.

Keep at it though. The more you go out, the easier it gets.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I had a discussion with my wife yesterday and it appeared that she still was thinking I wore kilts. As a sort of transition from kilts, I made a skirt with a front like a kilt and it was accepted by my wife and also by some friends of her. Now she realizes I wear skirts she accept it more or less but she prefers it to call them kilts. No problem with me. She has not the worldly attitude of the big city girls so I think it takes some time to for her to get used to my skirt wearing. With the colder weather I will wear skirts just above the knee in the house and a kilt with knee high woolen socks, knitted by my late mother when I was still riding my motorbike in Holland, depending on the destination.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

The skirt looks great !! Great job !!

Tes
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

A very nice looking skirt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Very nice looking skirt.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Thanks for the compliments.
By wearing a kilt when I go out for shopping, walking or by car, I'm building up a new image of myself. When the winter is over, I will start with knee long skirts to go to placed where they know me in kilts. From there the seam will rise with the temperature. :wink:
I bought some faux leather. That is quite different from normal fabric, not only the looks but also working on it.
This is my first attempt.
P1010620q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

For homemade and faux leather it looks great!

If I were wearing it I would probably rotate the snap and zipper to the back.

Clearly you have to work with your wife on this, but don't feel you have to break folks in on your skirt wearing. Run with the look you have in mind.

Look at my back posts and you will see that the first time I went to church skirted I was wearing a sweater dress, pantyhose and booties with 3" heels. Everyone loved the look! So much so I felt out of place the few times since that I went to church in slacks. And I can't think of a Sunday that I haven't gotten at least one or two compliments from well-dressed women on my outfit.

While you're at it look at Jeff's photos and posts. Note especially where all he goes in his outfits. So it's not just that us folks on the West Coast are a different breed. Philly practically defines the straight-laced East Coast. Or whatever is left of straight-laced.

Carpe diem!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

My main drive for wearing skirts is the comfort, the feeling of freedom around your legs and a certain amount of freshness circulating under skirts. I don't have much sense of fashion and I see skirts as a substitute for shorts. I also have a pleasure in making my own skirts. For almost 25 year, I worked in shipbuilding and I liked it very much to see how a flat sheet of steel could be formed to the roundings of a ship. The same goes for clothing. The faux leather was choosen to experiment with a different material not as a fasion statement. I will make skirts that will be in the same color and material range as my shorts. So what worked with shorts will also work with skirts.

I don't want to force my skirt wearing on people, certainly not on people close to me. So I take my time to let people get used to my habits and go from kilts to knee long skirts to the shorter ones, depending on the temperature.

A lot of people on this forum dress themselves very colorful but that is not my attitude. I will not change my way of dressing because of the skirts. But in a way I'm slightly jealous of people with such a sense of combining clothes and colors.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...I don't want to force my skirt wearing on people, certainly not on people close to me. So I take my time to let people get used to my habits and go from kilts to knee long skirts to the shorter ones, depending on the temperature...
For sure, nothing's permanent if you give it enough time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Thanks Pdxfashionpioneer,

Wonder what a sweater skirt was, so I googled sweater skirt and on Overstock's page https://www.overstock.com/guides/how-to ... ater-dress, found this:
Are you looking for something new to wear? Have you tried a sweater dress? It's a preppy-meets-sexy look, and it's a versatile piece that you can wear many different ways simply by changing the way you style it. Once you find a sweater dress that you like, you'll love it even more when you can wear it different ways.

Style Your Sweater Dress:

Wear the dress alone. You can always wear a sweater dress with just a great pair of shoes and a necklace. Heels look smart and stylish, or opt for boots and add tights if the weather is especially cold.

Layer it over leggings. Thanks to the soft, thick fabric of sweater dresses, they look great over opaque leggings. Metallic or shiny leggings can add a funky look to your dress as well. Finish the look with ankle boots that match your leggings for a slimming effect. For a more casual feeling, wear the dress with jeggings and flats.

Treat the dress as a top. If your dress is shorter than knee-length, you can wear it like a tunic over fitted jeans. Skinny jeans look best, since you want to balance a voluminous sweater with slender legs. Skinny ankle length jeans would be very cute, too. Wear the outfit with either flats or ankle boots.

Add a belt. Consider wearing a belt around your waist. A skinny belt would add just a touch of color, while corset and double-buckle belts will give you an hourglass figure. A wide elastic belt would work well, too.

Add layers over it. A scarf can add a final touch to a sweater dress; knot it at your neck or drape it around your shoulders. A structured jacket plays well with the fluid movement of a sweater dress; try a cropped leather jacket if you're dressing up or a denim jacket if you're going for a casual look.
Just might look for something along those lines and try it, I'l likely like it. :D
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I loved the faux leather skirt. It looks like it was from the store. You can easily make skirts from a pair of old shorts. Have you tried doing that?

What I like about shorts is that they come with pretty deep pockets to put your stuff. If you buy a skirt from the store their pockets don't have enough room.

I cannot trade comfort either.

Tes
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

tesjolts wrote:...... You can easily make skirts from a pair of old shorts. Have you tried doing that? .....
My first steps on the road to skirting in 2013 were made with re-purposed jeans. The stitching was by hand and very coarse. I did this with three jeans before I had the nerve to order skirts. But sizing is like gambling at best so I bought a sewing machine and started my own production.
When you start with jeans or shorts, there is always the formed crotch area that leaves a little mound in the front.
P8251549q.jpg
My very first skirt from jeans.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

tesjolts wrote: What I like about shorts is that they come with pretty deep pockets to put your stuff. If you buy a skirt from the store their pockets don't have enough room.

I cannot trade comfort either.

Tes
I shop at thrift stores a lot and have found several brands that have decent pockets, sometimes. I have found at least three company's that put good pockets in there stuff. I'm not sure if I should list them in this thread? However I will be more than happy to share what brands that I found are decent, at least it will give guys a starting point when shopping.

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have gotten some denim skirts from Kohl's that had reasonable pockets.