Your basic black skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Your basic black skirt

Post by Bertino56 »

It's called a Laura Scott 5-pocket skirt, and Sears has them for $15.99.
It's knee length, denim-like fabric, perfect hem shape and size (definitely
not "pencil"), with a modest trim-tab in back. It has pockets, belt loops,
and front zip. No pleats or frills. It is elegant simplicity, understated
and inconspicuous. (I know, I'm such a boring guy!) I find it suitable for
all my purposes, and very comfortable.
Sorry I don't have pictures or a link to pictures, but it should be easy to
find over-the-counter at Sears. My choice in skirts may not match with
others on this board, but I'm certain some folks here will find this tip
worth exploring.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Your basic black skirt

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I no-longer have a Sears in my town they closed up and ran a way. :doh: So the next time I am in the adjoining town (about 40 miles away) I will check them out!

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Link to http://www.sears.com/laura-scott-women- ... A87277112P
Link to http://www.sears.com/laura-scott-women- ... A87277512P
Both are knee length and the 1st link has 4 color options.
Their on-line sale prices are $11.99, while supplies last.
Just wish it had more of an A-line flare instead of a straight look.
Still, not a bad buy :)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

It's interesting that the (presumably) female model chosen in those pics does not have very shapely legs (IMO) and probably doesn't look as good in that skirt as most men would. Or maybe that's intentional to let women know that anyone can wear it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:It's interesting that the (presumably) female model chosen in those pics does not have very shapely legs (IMO) and probably doesn't look as good in that skirt as most men would. Or maybe that's intentional to let women know that anyone can wear it.
These are "plus" sized skirts, marketed to "plus" sized women.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Thanks, Uncle Al, both those examples are "plus" sizes.
Mine is a "regular" size 16.
I also think my skirt has slightly more A-line flare than those.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One frequently needs to be careful with the "plus"-sized garments. They're not cut the same way as the "regular" sized ones, and frequently the same "style" isn't as attractive in "plus" as it is in "regular". This torques "women of size" off to no end, and it's unfortunate.

Personally, the only time I have to venture into the plus-sized world is for blouses -- and that's because of my wide shoulders.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

That is totally wearable by anyone. Why isn't it marketed as unisex?

All they would have to do is show a guy wearing one in a similar context to him wearing shorts - with sports shoes and socks and a tee-shirt or light sweater.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

i don't see why a major chain hasn't come out with a line of men's skirts.Nothing like what they show in the high level fashion shows .Just basis items like the Laura Scott line . or a simple skater skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:i don't see why a major chain hasn't come out with a line of men's skirts.
It's down to a fear that it wouldn't sell. No major chain is going to gamble on such a thing without a very strong probability of having it making a profit.

I suspect the best that we can hope for is a "rogue" store manager or two "misplacing" a small selection of suitably drab and unobtrusive skirts in the men's section and seeing what happens. However, that'll be, at best, a very localised experiment and certainly not one that would be sanctioned by the parent company.
Just basis items like the Laura Scott line . or a simple skater skirt.
Land's End used to have a splendid pattern that my ex- used to term "everyday skirts", and she wore them as a staple of her professional wardrobe for years. When she decided that she'd had enough of the corporate rat-race I wound up with several that were still perfectly serviceable and those were the backbone of my early experimentation. I wish they still carried them; they were awesome.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

your right it would be a big risk. and of course potential profit would be the moving factor. But you would think that with all the buzz about transgender rights etc that someone would come out with if not men"s skirts at least unisex clothing .
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:But you would think that with all the buzz about transgender rights etc that someone would come out with if not men"s skirts at least unisex clothing .
Well, I suspect that most average blokes shy away from anything even potentially label-able as "trans-*" rather vigourously. Also, the term "unisex", at least in the States" has the baggage associated with it that it's always historically been used by women encroaching on men's space (e.g. trousers, butch haircuts, &c) and never the other way 'round. So, neither of those terms are going to garner any sort of traction whatsoever for the average guy. In short, it's a mess.

That being said, however, it's worth noting that it's not illegal in the developed world for a bloke to head out his front door whilst wearing a skirt. He'll be unusual or course, but the cops aren't likely to nick him on the street for the act. (Yet?) So, it would seem that the (local) answer is simply to set a good example by doing. This seems to work, at least insofar as getting folks to understand that there aren't all sorts of "other forces" at work and that a bloke may well be wearing a skirt simply because he likes it. This is huge, but limited in scope.

There is hope, but it's going to be the quiet practitioner who goes about his daily life clad in something other than trousers that's likely to shift sentiment. The world needs more who have the courage and wherewithal to do so. Unfortunately, recruiting is a daunting challenge because of all the associated baggage.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:Land's End used to have a splendid pattern that my ex- used to term "everyday skirts" . . .
I have a great number of skirts from Land' End and after looking through their site, I bought this one recently:
http://www.landsend.com/products/womens ... ku_0=::J8F
Nothing else there I was interested in as I had already bought one of each of the sport knit skirts and I had bought the boot skirt last fall. They seem to leaning toward dresses at the moment.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

crfriend wrote: There is hope, but it's going to be the quiet practitioner who goes about his daily life clad in something other than trousers that's likely to shift sentiment. The world needs more who have the courage and wherewithal to do so. Unfortunately, recruiting is a daunting challenge because of all the associated baggage.
Yes, if things change, this is the mechanism that will trigger it. A little at a time.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...you would think that with all the buzz about transgender rights etc that someone would come out with if not men"s skirts at least unisex clothing .
It would be interesting to open a few unisex clothing shops in free-thinking parts of a few cities and see if and what you can make anyone buy.

I suppose there would be lots of utility kilts and denim, but also a variety of other styles, and also an assortment of accessories such as shoes, tights, and bags. Maybe a piercing corner. Dual-size size charts on everything. Skirted salespeople of both sexes. Models (possibly also salespeople) occasionally strolling through the neighborhood wearing skirts and logo t-shirts. Pub crawls and appearance events.

It'd probably go bust and lose millions but it'd still be fun to try.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron