A Little Bit Hippy (Hippie)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

A Little Bit Hippy (Hippie)

Post by moonshadow »

Thought I would share another cool skirt place for those of you who, like myself enjoy more eclectic styles. I present the brick and mortar store, "A Little Bit Hippy" located at the Towers Shopping Center in Roanoke Virginia.

https://www.facebook.com/alittlebithippy/

As the name implies, the clothing line tends to be colorful, free flowing, and.. well... hippie chic stuff. However, like Misty Mountain Designs is run by very open minded people, some of the LBGT group who have no issue what so ever with whatever a man (or a woman) wants to wear.

And yes, men can try in skirts in their fitting room. I didn't even have to ask, they offered.

In addition to skirts, they also have some nice dresses, t-shirts, other garments, hippie pants, hats, and they also stock a fair amount of New Age (Pagan) stuff too, such as incense, statues, stickers, candles, etc. Very colorful store, and a nice atmosphere. At about 150 +/- miles from home, it's not somewhere I'll visit on a whim, but if I'm already in Roanoke I plan to make it a place to stop by.

The girl who worked there allowed that she sees men in skirts all of the time! I held up one of the boho skirts... "like this?!?" I queried. She answered "yep!"

I was intrigued! I asked "where?". She said at festivals and such, like the Floyd Fest.

Ahh... festivals. I thought she knew of this secret underground of male hippie skirt wearer's. While nice to see men wearing skirts at festivals, I'm not sure I'd count that as "the real deal". I'll give it an honorable mention though.

It's one thing for a man to sport a hippie skirt at a festival where this type of practice is common, it's another to stroll through the coal fields weekend after weekend, night after night, in the truck stops, and grocery stores.... skirted.

It will never really catch on until enough men grow the balls to cross that threshold, take off the training wheels, and wear a skirt in an "everyday" setting.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Little Bit Hippy (Hippie)

Post by rick401r »

Hippie clothes eh? Here where I live The main street is lined with small shops and boutiques that cater to the "hippie" types.
While it's not common to see men in skirts, it's not unheard of. I can be see daily (weather permitting) standing out front of the shop I work at in one of my kilts having a smoke. I haven't tried an actual skirt, that's about to change this spring. My dear wife, who just recently passed, did not approve of my skirt wearing in public. In an effort to move on with my life I intend to show my true colors to the world.
http://www.bestoftheroad.com/town/yello ... s-oh/10807
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Little Bit Hippy (Hippie)

Post by moonshadow »

rick401r wrote:Hippie clothes eh? Here where I live The main street is lined with small shops and boutiques that cater to the "hippie" types.
While it's not common to see men in skirts, it's not unheard of. I can be see daily (weather permitting) standing out front of the shop I work at in one of my kilts having a smoke. I haven't tried an actual skirt, that's about to change this spring. My dear wife, who just recently passed, did not approve of my skirt wearing in public. In an effort to move on with my life I intend to show my true colors to the world.
http://www.bestoftheroad.com/town/yello ... s-oh/10807
Yellow Springs OH.... Sounds nice, and it's not really far from here, relatively speaking. I google mapped it, and found it's actually really close to Dayton and Troy. When I worked for Hobart a several years ago, I spent many-a-weeks up that way. Would have been cool if I were in to skirt wearing at the time to visit this neat little town.

This year for vacation we're thinking about just having one big road trip, visiting small towns like the one you linked to. I'm undecided where we want to go, and how we want to get there. I had mentioned going south and driving through the southern states, (a skirting challenge awaits me in Mississippi), I could just head dead west through Kentucky, then again, heading slightly north into what seems like friendlier territory doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

I'm all about lining out some neat little towns to visit. Anyone interested in a lunch (if we're passing near your town), by all means let me know. Keep in mind though our trip will be heading west and back again.

Below I have attached a map of the shaded area we're considering.

We're not really the type of people to sit in one place for a whole week, I rather fancy the idea of traveling on my week off, staying at little independent motels, eating and mom and pop diners, and visiting little towns along the way, shopping in their main streets, etc.... This will be my first major road trip vacation 100% skirted.

It just seems to me that the major tourist destinations are just too expensive and crowded. So lets do it now before the car gets too worn out.

After November (2016) I'll be eligible for two weeks off, I've already expressed my interest in taking them together, as I want to plan a cross country trip.
2016vac_map.jpg
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.