Buying skirts is hard

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Buying skirts is hard

Post by Bamaskirting »

I've only got two skirts that I can really wear out. A third is a pink camp mini, and I just don't think I should go out in it. So today, I figured I'd go skirt shopping. Just to look because I'm broke. I went to Forever 21 because I seen some nice stuff on the Internet. I didn't find much though. About all I seen is some short skater skirts. I'll go get a couple because they're only 6 dollars. I went to Old Navy and found one pencil skirt. But not much else. I found nothing at Charlotte Russe. I guess it's because it is February,but it's been so warm in Alabama. I was thinking I would be able to find an abundance of skirts. Guess not.

But at least I have found some. I am not having any luck in the shoe department. I wanted some wedge shoes from the ladies department. And maybe some short heels. But finding my size is proving difficult.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Buying skirts is hard

Post by Caultron »

Women aren't wearing skirts very much these days, so you won't find many in stores. For casual skirts, try thrift shops or online. And With thrift shops, keep checking back. Their inventory may be small and uneven but typically keeps changing.

As to shoes, I have the most luck online. But make sure wherever you buy from has free returns.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try some charity or thrift shops in your area.
You should be able to find bargains. I agree
that finding the correct size can be, & is, difficult.
BUT press on and you'll succeed :D:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I have found the thrift shops, like the GoodWill normally have an entire rack, at least 30 feet long with nothing but skirts of all different shapes, colors, and sizes. I've gotten some pretty cool stuff from various GoodWills.

Aside from that, you may also visit your local "hippie" clothing store. Not all of their skirts would be bohemian or Indian style, the one I visit also has some more "conservative" styles as well, everything from minis to floor sweepers.

Finally, though I hate to admit it.... Ca*cough*to had a pretty decent selection. Just don't expect to use their fitting room! NO MEN ALLOWED in there! I have a lot of skirts from the GoodWill that bear the CATO tag, indicating that I do enjoy some of their styles.

Ross had a few skirts, but not much, most as you said were above the knee. Burkes Outlet didn't really have much of anything when I checked. I wasn't overly impressed with Dress Barn, and didn't see many skirts anyway. Walmart? NOTHING, as in zero, nada, zilch. Very rarely have I EVER seen a skirt for sale at Walmart, and when I do, it's normally just one style. K-Mart had about three of four styles of choose from last summer. They aren't stocking anything this winter.

But overall, the best skirt selections hands down are in thrift shops like GoodWill. And they, are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get! (or find)

DON'T FORGET: Yard sale season is coming up! Naturally, you probably won't be able to try them on, but often times they are dirt cheap (maybe even free in some cases), so you really don't have much to loose. I advise to bring a girlfriend (or wife if you're married) if you get into a pretty redneck neighborhood, make it look like their for her so you don't get r-u-n-n-o-f-t. :roll: Old lady estates? BINGO! Trailer parks... proceed with GREAT caution!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Y'all must like shopping in stores more than I do. I go online for anything and everything before I spend time going to stores. I despise strip malls and crowds. I don't even like the supermarket. There is an "instant gratification" effect to shopping when you begin skirting, I am aware, but it will pass in a time, especially when you develop your own style sense and realize how little there is in stores that satisfies it. Over time, store shopping trips began to feel, for me, unsatisfying and self-indulgent, and not a pleasing use of my time. No great fun in wasting gas and adding to the congestion.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:Y'all must like shopping in stores more than I do. I go online for anything and everything before I spend time going to stores. I despise strip malls and crowds. I don't even like the supermarket. There is an "instant gratification" effect to shopping when you begin skirting, I am aware, but it will pass in a time, especially when you develop your own style sense and realize how little there is in stores that satisfies it. Over time, store shopping trips began to feel, for me, unsatisfying and self-indulgent, and not a pleasing use of my time. No great fun in wasting gas and adding to the congestion.
In addition to that... women can be pretty mean in stores. (and I say this with a sense of humor :lol: ) I've been practically SHOVED out of the way so that a woman can lay her hands on a skirt she's digging.

It's not all formal and polite like shopping at the hardware store! :P Then again, I've been somewhat "feminized" when it comes to shopping.... now I tend to "push" people out of the way, even when I'm not buying skirts.

But I do enjoy browsing the large variety of thrift store skirts. I normally don't make special trips, but if I'm in a new town, I make a point to visit the local thrift shops to see what they have.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

If you know your skirt size, ebay is your friend... also handy for buying other bits and pieces like tights and slips for your skirts 8) Have bought a variety of decent pencil skirts from eBay along with some nice boots as well. The only downside is it can be hard to return some stuff on ebay if it doesn't fit... and of course the waiting time for delivery :roll:
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Yeah I've kinda got over the satisfaction of buying in person. But I want my next skirts to be a certain length. It's just easier to judge in person. EBay is where I hot my minis and my skater skirt. I love eBay
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I've bought most of mine in thrift stores of one kind or another. I am quite cool with trying them on in store now. Sometimes if it's cheap enough, I'll take a gamble. The little church basement one that I’ve scored some of my best deals in, I just measure it and go from there. They are usually $2 each so it's not like it'll bankrupt me... I have bought 3 or 4 that have Reitmans labels in, (Canadian retailer) so I went in to one of their stores the other day to see what they had in the current line up, and browse the sale racks. Found one or two possibilities, but found it difficult to justify the price. I have a good idea of what the measurement of the waistband has to be, and what length, so I carry a tape measure with me and use that to narrow down the choices. I very rarely go to the malls, definitely agree with dillon on that, though midweek, it's tolerable. I've had a lot of fun with my skirt shopping, though finding just the right thing is frustrating at times.

Looking at leggings at the moment, and may try some from Amazon. Also some online retailers for patterned tights. I may be raising some eyebrows at work and other places...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Bamaskirting wrote:Yeah I've kinda got over the satisfaction of buying in person. But I want my next skirts to be a certain length. It's just easier to judge in person. EBay is where I hot my minis and my skater skirt. I love eBay
Ebay is a good site. You can often ask questions of the sellers, which is good for confirming measurements. Etsy is another, if you like vintage styles.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

moonshadow wrote:I have found the thrift shops, like the GoodWill normally have an entire rack, at least 30 feet long with nothing but skirts of all different shapes, colors, and sizes. I've gotten some pretty cool stuff from various GoodWills.

Aside from that, you may also visit your local "hippie" clothing store. Not all of their skirts would be bohemian or Indian style, the one I visit also has some more "conservative" styles as well, everything from minis to floor sweepers.

Finally, though I hate to admit it.... Ca*cough*to had a pretty decent selection. Just don't expect to use their fitting room! NO MEN ALLOWED in there! I have a lot of skirts from the GoodWill that bear the CATO tag, indicating that I do enjoy some of their styles.

Ross had a few skirts, but not much, most as you said were above the knee. Burkes Outlet didn't really have much of anything when I checked. I wasn't overly impressed with Dress Barn, and didn't see many skirts anyway. Walmart? NOTHING, as in zero, nada, zilch. Very rarely have I EVER seen a skirt for sale at Walmart, and when I do, it's normally just one style. K-Mart had about three of four styles of choose from last summer. They aren't stocking anything this winter.
I've looked at good wills and seen some good stuff. most of the styles I like have floral patterns that I've seen. I don't really want flowers. I like darker colors. I'm going back soon though. I want to see what I can see.
But overall, the best skirt selections hands down are in thrift shops like GoodWill. And they, are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get! (or find)

DON'T FORGET: Yard sale season is coming up! Naturally, you probably won't be able to try them on, but often times they are dirt cheap (maybe even free in some cases), so you really don't have much to loose. I advise to bring a girlfriend (or wife if you're married) if you get into a pretty redneck neighborhood, make it look like their for her so you don't get r-u-n-n-o-f-t. :roll: Old lady estates? BINGO! Trailer parks... proceed with GREAT caution!
I like goodwill. I just haven't found anything yet. except some shorts.
Last edited by Bamaskirting on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Buying skirts in person from brick and mortar stores still gives me a visceral thrill that I never tire of. While I also purchase clothes online, the bulk of the skirts I buy is done in person where I can examine something that catches me eye in person in order to properly gauge it's look, color, fabric and style while figuring out how to pair it with tops and shoes. For me, it's all part of the fun of skirt wearing.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

kilty wrote:If you know your skirt size, ebay is your friend... also handy for buying other bits and pieces like tights and slips for your skirts 8) Have bought a variety of decent pencil skirts from eBay along with some nice boots as well. The only downside is it can be hard to return some stuff on ebay if it doesn't fit... and of course the waiting time for delivery :roll:
I have bought some good skirts on eBay, but only where the seller gives actual measurements, which is not the majority. I have now created a spreadsheet with skirt makes, sizes, measurements and what fits me. Generally the sizing with the same manufacturer remains consistent.
For example a 12 in a Billabong or Just Jeans or a 10 in a Hot Options or Jay Jays will fit. I use this guide when buying on eBay and it has worked well so far. How it looks on you is still a gamble but it is a good start if it actually fits.
I am getting a lot of enjoyment with skirts, where I was never interested in clothes before. I think it is the variety of styles as well as colour. Pants came in grey, brown or blue, were quite shapeless and flys and pockets were diminished to become useless.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: But overall, the best skirt selections hands down are in thrift shops like GoodWill. And they, are like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get! (or find)
and
moonshadow wrote: But I do enjoy browsing the large variety of thrift store skirts. I normally don't make special trips, but if I'm in a new town, I make a point to visit the local thrift shops to see what they have.
Exactly!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I bought all my skirts from thrift stores and paid $3-5 apiece. The only "problem" I had was a ankle length denim [which I REALLY like]. It has some stretch to it and fits great from the waist down. The problem is/was is that even with the stretch, I couldn't zip it up and button it. So I use a belt to hold it together and wear a t-shirt not tucked in and it covers the belt... works great!

--Rick