Star Trek

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Star Trek

Post by Gregg1100 »

Whilst looking at the Star Trek trailer for new film, I was reminded of the uniform used in the first two series on tv.
The Star Trek SKANT.

tumblr_lzvra2dJwP1rpb802o1_1280.jpg
[/color]

A bit too short for me. Extreme care needed when sitting down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Star Trek

Post by skirtingtoday »

Sadly that outfit didn't last very long (I thought it was only in a single series of Star TrekTNG and even then in just a few episodes) - it does show great forward thinking on Roddenberry's part though! [ EDIT - just checked - It was in two series but in the second series, it was worn over trousers]

Here are a few more pics:- First John Luke himself (wearing trousers under it)
skant1-reduced.jpg
skant2.jpg
skant3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

It was a great theoretical concept. Except, by that time in the future OSHA will have everyone in Engineering wearing rubberized armoured suits with impact resistant, full face safety helmets, hearing protection included.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have been thinking about designs not too dissimilar, essentially a shortish tunic, or tabard, with a men's equivalent of yoga pants under. alternatives could be heavy tights, leggings, etc. I like the comfort of yoga pants, and quite like the look, and the way they show off my legs, but the different outline that men have is an issue. :shock:

This could kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak, as it permits the equivalent of a short dress without the obvious potential problems there. I bought a Chinese style, red brocade "short dress" the other day, knowing it was too small across the chest, with the hope that I can let in a some side panels to make it fit. There is no way to wear it even then, unless I wear some yoga pants or tights under. See if it can be a party outfit. Way too ostentatious for daytime wear. To be honest, I mostly do this kind of stuff as a style experiment and sewing practice. Thrift store prices allow lots of room for this kind of experimentation.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Search on Ebay for "Skant".
A lot of pictures and notably an Australian seller who has them made to measure.
Lot of Chinese sellers also !

Comment from Gregg1100 "A bit too short for me. Extreme care needed when sitting down."

That would be most true as when sitting in a dress it rides up the back more than a skirt
does and displays a bit more reveal.
Keeping the legs together may help but not so much on the sides with hemline creep.
The skant's color block lines favor the hour glass figure be it male or female.

While I like the one piece dress application - I prefer the skirt and blouse (polo shirt) top.
being a great deal more flexible and less exposing. A skirt can be pulled down a bit to
cover critical territory while a dress would be at it's limit.
The skant has a wrap over front closing but can be made with a rear zipper panel which
for some will be a challenge to negotiate but leaves a clean flat front look.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

r.m.anderson wrote: While I like the one piece dress application - I prefer the skirt and blouse (polo shirt) top.
being a great deal more flexible and less exposing. A skirt can be pulled down a bit to
cover critical territory while a dress would be at it's limit.
So you mean something similar to these:
While these are female uniforms (from the TV series SDF Macross) IMO they would look better on a man than those Star Trek uniforms.
Last edited by Judah14 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
らき☆
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

No - that is not what I thought.
The image you have shown is a two piece pencil skirt worn with a matching below waist hem line blouse/jacket.

My thoughts were of an "A" frame skirt (think skaters skirt) and a waist length
polo shirt blouse or an Ike jacket. What's an Ike jacket - Search ebay for Ike Jacket.

For details on how a Skant dress closes search ebay for Skant and fine tune the sellers photos:
The center color panel on one side has hidden buttons and eye hooks to wrap the center panel
over the contrasting color under panel.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

r.m.anderson wrote:No - that is not what I thought.
The image you have shown is a two piece pencil skirt worn with a matching below waist hem line blouse/jacket.

My thoughts were of an "A" frame skirt (think skaters skirt) and a waist length
polo shirt blouse or an Ike jacket. What's an Ike jacket - Search ebay for Ike Jacket.

For details on how a Skant dress closes search ebay for Skant and fine tune the sellers photos:
The center color panel on one side has hidden buttons and eye hooks to wrap the center panel
over the contrasting color under panel.
Yes I got it. I edited my post to fix a broken picture link and replaced it with the SDF Macross version of the same uniform (in diffrent colors). Though I still think the Macross uniform would look better and be more practical for a man.
らき☆