shoes with skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

shoes with skirts

Post by Bamaskirting »

i am pretty new to skirt wearing. and really new to public skirt wearing. i need info about what shoes to wear. or just what you all wear. i wore mine out in a pair of nike black crosstrainers. i am thinking of something like canvas shoes such as keds, airwalks, or converse. i am geared more towards skirt skirts- not traditional kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: shoes with skirts

Post by moonshadow »

Some on here wear women's shoes. I unfortunately have a foot that's one size to big to buy an off the shelf women's shoe. I used to wear what ever, however I found my feet looked to clunky in photographs.

At walmart I picked up a nice simple pair of mens size 10 Faded Glory black shoes for about $8. They're nothing fancy, and while they are technically men's shoes, I personally feel they compliment the skirts nicely. The shoes I wear with ordinary off the shelf Haynes black ankle socks.

Here's a good photo of them...
ImageTwo states - one skirt! by Moon Shadow, on Flickr

When it warms up, I also like to wear my sandals. They are just typical size 10 men's velcro sandals. Nothing fancy.
Photographed here...
ImageVeterans Overlook, Bean Station TN by Moon Shadow, on Flickr

That's my wife Jenn by the way... she post here from time to time.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

moonshadow wrote:Some on here wear women's shoes. I unfortunately have a foot that's one size to big to buy an off the shelf women's shoe. I used to wear what ever, however I found my feet looked to clunky in photographs.

At walmart I picked up a nice simple pair of mens size 10 Faded Glory black shoes for about $8. They're nothing fancy, and while they are technically men's shoes, I personally feel they compliment the skirts nicely. The shoes I wear with ordinary off the shelf Haynes black ankle socks.

Here's a good photo of them...
ImageTwo states - one skirt! by Moon Shadow, on Flickr

When it warms up, I also like to wear my sandals. They are just typical size 10 men's velcro sandals. Nothing fancy.
Photographed here...
ImageVeterans Overlook, Bean Station TN by Moon Shadow, on Flickr

That's my wife Jenn by the way... she post here from time to time.
cool thanks. those look good. whenever i figure out what works i will probably have both mens and womens shoes. alot of shoes are basically almost unisex anyways.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A good way is to just watch what the girls are wearing with the skirts that they don't wear ! Huhn ???
Right now tis the season for boots - ankle calf and knee high
Low quarter loafers are all right even athletic sneakers are fine - try and mix or contrast the colors for effect
As moonshadow has pictured sandals are OK for some applications but not in snow drifts with flash frozen pinkies
Heels a whole nuther ball game here- pride and prejudice - sense and sensibility - what ever you can get away with !?
Remember to wear shoes that are comfortable and caution wearing the circus stilts (heels) - practice before you trip the light fantastic in front of a admiring crowd !
Like women when they go to their closet - I don't have anything to wear (with these?)
Well you do have options keeping it simple is far better than puttin-on-the-Ritz !
And then like the Pope "Who am I to judge?"
Look to achieve the title of "Fashionably DRESSED Man" in your otherwise wardrobe/outfit !
Do it up wrong and become the kings court jester - but most likely what you will put together will pass muster but not in any man's army uniform* !
* There was a Scottish brigade of kilted soldiers call the "Ladies from Hell" note that was LADIES and not Laddies !
Wear a kilt (Scottish skirt) and no one will dare call you out on your finest !

So after all this malarkey just go wear something decent - you will know in short order what works and doesn't !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't think he'll have to worry about too much snow shoveling down there, but I'll agree even a Alabama winter may be a little to chilly for sandals.

As R.M points out, one could just observe what the experts (the women) are wearing.

Visit any busy shopping mall and just look at their feet, you'll probably find an array of boots, heels, etc

If you want to know what the full time skirt wearers are wearing, you need only visit what I believe must be the Pentecostal capital of the world.... southwestern Virginia, where it seems like virtually all of the women in the hills wear what has been described as "potato sack skirts". It's a good observation because these girls wear shoes that are more functional rather than particularly stylish, although they do seem to fit the overall attire. Remember... these girls NEVER wear trousers so you can bet that what they are wearing is suitable to chop wood in. If you go in a skirt.... be ready to receive more than a few dirty looks, and maybe a few Chick Tracts..... :roll:

I observed one women at our store in Lebanon VA wearing your typical Deuteronomy style skirt, and she was wearing ordinary white (although somewhat dirty) sneakers.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Last edited by Kilted Musician on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

In the summer I wear a pair of leather slipper shoes, or moccassins with no socks. They look right on me and in the hot weather are cool like my skirts.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

"Remember... these girls NEVER wear trousers so you can bet that what they are wearing is suitable to chop wood in. If you go in a skirt.... be ready to receive more than a few dirty looks, and maybe a few Chick Tracts..... :roll:

I observed one women at our store in Lebanon VA wearing your typical Deuteronomy style skirt, and she was wearing ordinary white (although somewhat dirty) sneakers."

***You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. I rock the long denim skirts specifically in protest against those yokels. No sewing bandanas into the walking slit for me either.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Bamaskirting wrote:i am pretty new to skirt wearing. and really new to public skirt wearing. i need info about what shoes to wear. or just what you all wear. i wore mine out in a pair of nike black crosstrainers. i am thinking of something like canvas shoes such as keds, airwalks, or converse. i am geared more towards skirt skirts- not traditional kilts.
With a skirt and bare legs, I tend to wear women's sandals. I do, however, sometimes wear a skirt, tights, and sandals.

When it's cool enough to wear tights, I usually wear conservative 2" or 3" heels, like tie-up or loafer style, brown or black.

I think men's shoes are just too thick and clunky to go with a skirt. Maybe that's because I've always seen much-lighter-weights women's shoes worn with skirts, but it's still my preference.
Last edited by Caultron on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I think men's shoes are just too thick and clunky to go with a skirt. Maybe that's because I've always had much-lighter-weights women's shoes worn with skirts, but it's still my preference.
That's fine if you're of such a size that there are styles available from "across the aisle". I just tend to wear the same style of shoes that I've managed to find for the past 15 years or so and which suit me well. They don't hit all the high points I'd like (I'd like more of a heel and a bit of a lower vamp) but nail other points supremely (like non-slip soles, which on me are required) so I'm OK with 'em.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:That's fine if you're of such a size that there are styles available from "across the aisle". I just tend to wear the same style of shoes that I've managed to find for the past 15 years or so and which suit me well. They don't hit all the high points I'd like (I'd like more of a heel and a bit of a lower vamp) but nail other points supremely (like non-slip soles, which on me are required) so I'm OK with 'em.
You can find some pretty large sizes online but of course there's still the matter of finding a style you like.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Caultron wrote:
I think men's shoes are just too thick and clunky to go with a skirt. Maybe that's because I've always seen much-lighter-weights women's shoes worn with skirts, but it's still my preference.
I suppose it depends on your skellington. If like me, you have a generally thick and clunky body, mens shoes work fine! At 21 stone (14 lb to a stone for them that don't know!) and significantly over 6 feet tall, (0.00947 furlongs) I think stilleto heels would look slightly odd! I know from experience that a pair of cowboy boots I once had led to me continually getting taller, everytime my head caught the frame of a door I added another lump!
So I just wear the same old brown shoes I always wear, we don't get much sandal weather in Western Scotland so the shoes work all year round for me. The only real exeption being sailing wellies, which work well with a Macabi of knee length denim skirt.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Big and Bashful wrote:
Caultron wrote:
I suppose it depends on your skellington. If like me, you have a generally thick and clunky body, mens shoes work fine! At 21 stone (14 lb to a stone for them that don't know!) and significantly over 6 feet tall, (0.00947 furlongs) I think stilleto heels would look slightly odd! I know from experience that a pair of cowboy boots I once had led to me continually getting taller, everytime my head caught the frame of a door I added another lump!
So I just wear the same old brown shoes I always wear, we don't get much sandal weather in Western Scotland so the shoes work all year round for me. The only real exeption being sailing wellies, which work well with a Macabi of knee length denim skirt.
There are no women's shoes to fit my feet, and as a big dude like B&B, getting some Pierre Silber version of a woman's shoe would look pretty fetishistic. I'm fine with my style, and making ourselves happy is the name of the game in a very small style arena where no "fashion rules" yet exist.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I like my Birkenstock sandals in the summer, or barefoot. I also have a pair of heavy suede , knee high moccasins that look good with my kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know.... from my untrained eye... I walked into a shoe store one day with the intent of checking to see if there were any off the shelf size 12 women's shoes (there weren't). So I checked out the mens shoes, and to me.... at least when it comes to ordinary sneakers and such.... I can't really tell the difference... save for maybe some color here and there (more pinks and purples for the girls, more blacks and greys for the guys), but the build seems the same.

It seems you start to get into more noticeable differences when you get into the nicer "dress" shoes, to which there is a more clear difference between mens and womens shoes. Which I understand, some of us might want a women's "dress" shoe, or a mary jane to freestyle in, but as for me.... it's simply not important enough to justify special ordering a size 12 shoe that I'm not even sure if I'm going to like....

Size 11 women's will fit my foot, but good Lord it really crams my toes together. I could probably swing a woman's size 11 sandal this spring, as I don't have to worry about a cramped toe box. We'll see.... Really just depends on what mood I find myself in.

But as far as clunkiness.... I may look somewhat silly wearing a skirt with a size 10 men's shoe on. But not as silly as I'd look tripping and falling all over the place because I'm wearing a shoe that's one size too small. Not to mention, I'd be miserable.
-Andrea