Saw a what I thought was a cool "skirt" today

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Saw a what I thought was a cool "skirt" today

Post by r.m.anderson »

dillon wrote:I made a skirt from an old pair of jeans using that splice technique. There are several instructional websites you can Google. It's not complicated, though my sewing skills are pretty marginal.
Since you are not altering the Waist and Hips the only real dilemma occurs with all that material and seaming going off into unbifurcated space and how to make the
twin stove pipe exits into a common one without a ragged ruptured hem line - oops did someone have a mayHEM accident ? LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The splicing triangles are smaller than you might expect and can be cut from the same amputated pant leg. Getting the seams sewn straight is the only difficulty. You can elect to sew the hem or let remain a ragged cut-off. I see lots of women wear unhemmed cut-off denim skirts, usually shorter minis.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote:The splicing triangles are smaller than you might expect and can be cut from the same amputated pant leg. Getting the seams sewn straight is the only difficulty. You can elect to sew the hem or let remain a ragged cut-off. I see lots of women wear unhemmed cut-off denim skirts, usually shorter minis.
... I think I can do this.... yes, the more I think about it... I think I can do this.... Just a little back of the envelope geometry.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sommertag

Post by Sommertag »

Hello! I'm new on this forum, and I wanted to mention that this thread inspired me to get the first dress you mentioned. I think it would work wonderfully, but have some doubts about the image I'd project in it. I don't object non-standard and non-masculine clothing, but I don't want to be seen as a "cross dressing" guy. Sarongs and the kilt are easier to "present". How can I pull this off?
Although it might just be me and the name of that thing. I mean, I'm used to explaining sarongs to people, and this dress is almost identical to the "male" panted model, but...
The name: "pinafore dress ". Freaking pinafore dress. Oh gosh.
The process: "ladies sizes", "ladies departments", "busts"...
If only there was a way around this BS...
Or is it just me?
Why yes, I'm a camera guy. My favorite camera? Lockheed SR-71.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Sommertag,
Your nom-de-plume sounds to me like a (German) Summer's day.

Dresses are cut to fit the female form. Most of us blokes just don't fit into them. If you want a dress to fit you, you'll probably have to get the scissors & sewing machine out, as those Forum contributors who post in the sewing column can do, but I for my sins have had some unbifurcated clothes tailor-made for me at considerable expense.

ubrigens, herzlichen Wilcommen,

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sommertag wrote:...I don't object non-standard and non-masculine clothing, but I don't want to be seen as a "cross dressing" guy...If only there was a way around this BS...Or is it just me?
I venture to say it's about 99% you. It's something we've all gone through, or are going through now. Our fears about what others may think are actually much worse than what they actually think.

But welcome to the board. I'm sure it'll help.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sommertag

Post by Sommertag »

Thanks for the reply! (I'm not used to anything that quick elsewhere)
I'm a bit worried now, as I don't have access to anything even resembling a sewing machine :(
But hey! I'll look into the sewing thread (sorry) to see what I can do. Worst case - I'm wasting a change on returning it.
I do hope there isn't much work to be done there, as a) the dress IS basically unbifurcated overalls, b) other than the bifurcation, it looks (on the pictures) the same as the pants, and c) it doesn't seem to have much fabric where the girl curves go anyway.
As for the Sommertag thing. I was once told I bring summer with me where I go.^_^
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sommertag wrote:Thanks for the reply! (I'm not used to anything that quick elsewhere)
I'm a bit worried now, as I don't have access to anything even resembling a sewing machine :(
But hey! I'll look into the sewing thread (sorry) to see what I can do. Worst case - I'm wasting a change on returning it.
I do hope there isn't much work to be done there, as a) the dress IS basically unbifurcated overalls, b) other than the bifurcation, it looks (on the pictures) the same as the pants, and c) it doesn't seem to have much fabric where the girl curves go anyway.
As for the Sommertag thing. I was once told I bring summer with me where I go.^_^
I agree, most guys have trouble with the top half of dresses so that the bib&brace tunic would be OK if the waist is right.
Sommertag wrote:Although it might just be me and the name of that thing. I mean, I'm used to explaining sarongs to people, and this dress is almost identical to the "male" panted model, but...
Or is it just me?
Don't worry about what garments are originally called, otherwise you will only be buying Peter Pan dresses because they have a male name. :)
I wear mini skirts and never explain unless asked, which is very rare. If someone asks "What is that you are wearing" I just say "It is a skirt" in a tone as if they asked the same when I was wearing pants.
Ladies departments are where you find skirts and dresses - you won't find many in Mens departments - just be pragmatic, be true to yourself and become oblivious to what others may think - most don't seem to notice or don't care.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

For those in UK, this design is all over the shops like a rash. Matalan, Next, BHS and a good few other stores in Cardiff.
Sommertag

Post by Sommertag »

My basic concept with this one is what I'd call "hillbilly with a twist": flannel shirt, this thing, an army surplus bag and bare feet. And yes, I plan my attire weeks ahead, and yes, I never wear shoes anyway.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Sommertag, a sewing machine doesn't have to be expensive. You can get a reasonable model that does various stitches for under 50 quid new. se some scrap material or old clothes that you were going to dispose of for practice. Those of us that do sew have all had to learn new skills.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sommertag wrote:Hello! I'm new on this forum, and I wanted to mention that this thread inspired me to get the first dress you mentioned. I think it would work wonderfully, but have some doubts about the image I'd project in it. I don't object non-standard and non-masculine clothing, but I don't want to be seen as a "cross dressing" guy. Sarongs and the kilt are easier to "present". How can I pull this off?
Although it might just be me and the name of that thing. I mean, I'm used to explaining sarongs to people, and this dress is almost identical to the "male" panted model, but...
Or is it just me?
Take a look at these "pinafore" aprons.https://www.etsy.com/listing/195385689/ ... redirect=1 A little imagination will tell you that with the right tailoring, they could be fairly masculine. It is the nomenclature that is hard to get used to, no question. But we are men. Eventually we will take this over and develop our own more masculine nomenclature. Of course, I will probably lose interest when that happens...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

On "aprons": There's not a thing about them that's inherently "feminine" or, for that matter, anything we need to "take back". These are functional bits of garb designed to protect the wearer (and his clothing) from the hazards of a workplace, be that kitchen, laboratory, or smithy.

Take for instance, Longfellow's The Village Blacksmith [0], who certainly wore an apron whilst toiling at the forge. Also recall the farmer's name for the "bib overall" -- "hogwashers". (I prefer the image of the 'smith.) Or any chef you care to name.

Seriously, most everything in what's now the woman's arsenal of clothing once belonged to men. What's to stop us from taking the useful bits of it back save our own timidity?

[0] I got into trouble for that one at an early age in public school here in the US where we were supposed to regurgitate, verbatim, assorted bits of stuff. I've always had a sense of humour, and a sense of parody and satire. So, needless to say, I got sent to the Headmaster's office (again) when I started the thing off, "'Neath the spreading chestnut tree / 'mid old beer cans and such debris / the village smithy stands...". Thank heavens I had an understanding father. How many 8-year-olds are going to rhyme "debris" with "tree"?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've got an apron... and get this, it's company issued! We use it when we change grease in mixers, or when ever we feel we want to protect our uniforms from what ever we're working on. Apron's are also required for meat cutters and produce workers. Many use them in the deli.

Aprons are very unisex. Although I don't wear them for style, only as a matter of practicality.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:Aprons are very unisex. Although I don't wear them for style, only as a matter of practicality.
That description fits the Crate & Barrel blue/white stripe apron I have but don't wear. The apron I wear is made with a cake-pop print fabric. It fits my different sense of style much better. 8)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco