Cato fashions

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cato fashions

Post by JeffB1959 »

I can understand the reluctance when it comes to allowing men into women's changing rooms. Too many deviants out there more than willing to do perverted things in that environment if given half a chance, and stores don't want to risk lawsuits from outraged shoppers, or worse, victimized shoppers. That's just the way it is, I'm afraid, and that mindset isn't going to change anytime soon, if at all, regardless of letters sent to a store's corporate offices or to politicians.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:I can understand the reluctance when it comes to allowing men into women's changing rooms. Too many deviants out there more than willing to do perverted things in that environment if given half a chance, and stores don't want to risk lawsuits from outraged shoppers, or worse, victimized shoppers. That's just the way it is, I'm afraid, and that mindset isn't going to change anytime soon, if at all, regardless of letters sent to a store's corporate offices or to politicians.
While that may be true [0], the simple solution here is if a company is in the business of selling clothing targeted at a particular gender, then given the modern climate of personal freedom and self expression, you'd think they'd design their stores with single occupancy fitting rooms so it wouldn't matter.

This isn't being politically correct, this is just common sense and simple human courtesy.

Also, lest we forget, we all know the sh!t would hit the fan if a woman were ever turned away under similar circumstances.

[0] With the very rare exception, there are multiple ways for a pervert to engage his OR her[1] fetishes. Speaking from experience, it takes a lot of gonads to work up the courage to go to a clerk in a women only store and ask to use the fitting room. My understanding is perverts prefer discretion, so it really doesn't make logical sense for a pervert to don a dress or skirt, and attempt to use female fitting rooms (or toilets) for the purpose of voyeurism, because frankly, that practice would draw too much attention.

[1] Yes WOMEN perverts DO exist! We as a society just don't shame them they way we do men because we as a society think that when women act trashy, is generally considered hot and sexy. :|

[BONUS FOOTNOTE] Speaking of women and their license to do whatever they want... not that long ago, the wife of someone in management (she answered the phone when I called him for a business related question) made an offensive, sexist remark towards me involving panties. When I protested the next day, I was told "oh come now... you have to understand... that's just the way she is" :roll:

So much for sexual harassment eh? Oh but women don't do stuff like that.... :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Mykaelyn

Post by Mykaelyn »

I randomly stumbled upon this thread. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I am a Store Manager for Cato Fashions, in upstate NY. I cannot recall ever seeing anything that says men are not allowed in the fitting rooms. Even if I had, I'd probably ignore it and plead ignorance. I actually have quite a few men come into my store to purchase for themselves. I have never told them they can't use the fitting room. There's never been a problem, and there's never been customer complaints, either. I'm sorry you had that experience there!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mykaelyn wrote:I randomly stumbled upon this thread. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I am a Store Manager for Cato Fashions, in upstate NY. I cannot recall ever seeing anything that says men are not allowed in the fitting rooms. Even if I had, I'd probably ignore it and plead ignorance. I actually have quite a few men come into my store to purchase for themselves. I have never told them they can't use the fitting room. There's never been a problem, and there's never been customer complaints, either. I'm sorry you had that experience there!
Interesting... I would imagine it has a lot to do with location. I am in southern Virginia after all. The store in question is a mere 15 miles from Tennessee.

Still I wonder if this isn't a corporate policy then why no response from their home office? I'd venture a guess they will back the local stores call.

Oh well.... I've pretty much forgotten about it now... I probably buy a skirt once every three months now, and it's normally at the Goodwill or a local New Age/hippie store. I've got a pretty decent selection in my closet to keep me busy..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
whorton

Post by whorton »

"Ahh... I near forgot about this thread!

I've learned to not waste time on those type of establishments that judge based on what's between our legs. They literally make up about 5% of all businesses. It's so much satisfying to spend my money in the remaining 95% who embrace me and my style with open arms! Skirting is a lot more fun when you're not fighting all the damned time. My aim now is to enjoy myself and surround myself with kind supportive people and businesses.

Cato Fashions? No thank you... Besides I've gotten plenty of Cato's stuff off the GoodWill rack for a fraction of the price. . .

Man, skirting is too fun and life's too short to give a sh_t about people and their petty hangups... :lol: They gotta problem with me... well, that's their problem!

-Thanks for the update. I am of the mindset that any given retailer can, well, "bug off." As you noted, there is plenty of their clothing available unworn in Goodwill, and at a reasonable price! It is nice to publically pass on the fact that some outlets are not interested in our money or business. So be it. ..
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was in Primark yesterday to buy a skirt. I tried on a 14 and 16 as they are my normal sizes. I used the men's changing rooms but it was novel showing the attendant, female, two skirts that I was obviously going to try on. Should have been no surprise to her as I was already wearing a skirt at the time. No problem at all, just a smile from her. Now I figured that Primark sizing was on the small size as I had to buy an 18. Just a laugh from her when I had to go back with the bigger size when I commented about the black art of women's sizes. Having got it home the material is nice and soft and it's a button up, sand colour and although it fits it's one for when I lose a few pounds as there's just a hint of tightness there. With the buttons there's a little gap between the top two. But I didn't want to buy a 20.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned -

Beware that Vanity Sizing !
At least you had the opportunity to try the skirts before walking out the door.

Ordering skirts and other stuff from Asia is a real problem.
Often the sizing is 2-3 or 4 sizes way too small.
They must be making stuff for dolls.

While the pricing and postage is cheap the returning of ill fitting garments is NOT !
In some of the Ebay cases I have had the seller just refunds the money - keep the
item and don't bother with the return. Some countries Pakistan is one it costs 200%
more for the seller to accept the return because of customs - why bother keep it !
So it is a win win for the buyer getting the refund and return and then the thrift
shop wins also !
UK sizing a 14 =s a USA 12 in the misses sizing. 16 =s US 14 18 =s US 16 so the
ratio is about 2 sizes smaller UK convert to USA.

Don't get me started on "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" ! "IT DOESN"T" !!!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

I've never had any problem shopping in a Cato store. I bought one of my favorite skirts in a Cato. :)