Tights, pantyhose, knee scocks

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tights, pantyhose, knee scocks

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:...I don't know if men are simply less self-aware than women or if women are more gentle and graceful in their movement, or if it is simply body shape that troubles us with legware. Perhaps they are simply better at making dscreet clothing adjustments or have lower expectations about the balance between style and comfort...
I think women spend as much time pulling up pantyhose or tights as men do. Usually, though, you don't see them doing it in public.

When you see them pinching their skirt and pulling upward, that's it. I assume you do the same. I certainly do.

Control top are better at staying up than regular.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

Caultron wrote:I think women spend as much time pulling up pantyhose or tights as men do. Usually, though, you don't see them doing it in public.
I think it's anatomy mostly. Woman have smaller waist and wider hip which keeps pantyhose in place without problems. For most men on the other hand waist and hip are nearly the same or even more waist then hip which makes them slip quite easily. Also men seem to have wider tighs, so stockings tend to roll down if they cannot be pulled over the tigh muscle up to the crotch area.
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
jeffreyrichards2015

Post by jeffreyrichards2015 »

Tights are my preference (now the weather has changed) to wear with my skirts and kilts. I have not had any problems with tights falling down at all since I started buying really good quality - mostly Wolford brand. They are super comfortable and stay up all day.
Life's too short to worry, just get on with it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

At Hogmanay I ran into my usual problem with kilt hose and garters, they still won't stay up for long, more so with my left leg for some reason. Weird!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

For me the secret has been finding extra leg length in tights. If I have to stretch them upward in putting them on, they will for sure fall down. But the outlet I bought from seems to have closed now, so I'll have to hope that my current supply lasts a while. I can't justify spending much on garments that tear up so fast.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Bamaskirting
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bamaskirting »

Barefoot Joe wrote:Thanks, Ross! :) It's my preferred length too. I have two which are a few inches shorter, but I need to take special care with them when sitting or bending down to not scare children away... ;)

@skirted_in_sf:

> I see you polish your nails too. :)

Yes, I started with it a couple of months before the whole skirt thing began. Actually the nail polish already got me used to second looks and being different, so I had not that much of a problem wearing skirts in public. As for most, the biggest hurdle to take was MOH - for both, nailpolish and skirts.

> I hope you've been able to express yourself at a younger age than when I started (mid 50s).

Unfortunately it was just four years ago when I started it by going barefoot fulltime - I was 47 then, so we seem to share the same boat. Going barefoot triggered something in me as I recognized that I not only can do such things without hell freezing over but also that most people are appreciating it when someone has the courage to be himself. I sometimes had the mopes over not finding it out in my early years but for one those were different times and I doubt skirt wearing would have been that easy in the 80s as it is today. And I also think of it as a learning process where we need some time to find our inner self again after it had been buried under this enormous pile of social rules and regulations after childhood. As I see it, my character / subconsciousness is a combination of multiple unique identities from prior lifes - some masculine, some feminine, some who-know-what. Currently I'm a man and I'm trained to only listen to the masculine identies as guidance and suppress everything else. Shifting my mindset in a way to give those female identities more room, it also changes the way I'm experiencing and expressing myself to the world. It may be just my imagination, but I'm feeling more "in tune" with woman. Four years back and MOH saying "let's go shopping" would have scared me to death - these days I do not only understand it, I'm actually having fun doing it. Much to MOH's amazement... :)
i like the nails! i have not done it except when i was makeup shopping with a friend. but i found it pretty cool, i am also an artist and appreciate art. some of the nail art i have seen on youtube is fantastic. there is one problem. i cannot grow mine. i constantly chew them. there has never been a clipper on my nails
David

Post by David »

Believe it or not, there's a product called Sock Glue that is supposed to hold socks and stockings in position for an extended time and even during high activity periods. I haven't tried it yet; but, it has a 4.9 out of 5 star rating from 100 reviewers. A score that high from so many people is promising. The very few low reviews appear to be due to roll on bottle application issues and not product performance. Any residue left on the legs reportedly washes off easily with soap and water so it shouldn't be a problem for those with hairy legs. The price is $10.00 for a 2 oz. bottle. To check it out, search for Sock Glue on www.sockdreams.com.
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

Bamaskirting wrote: i like the nails! i have not done it except when i was makeup shopping with a friend. but i found it pretty cool, i am also an artist and appreciate art.
I'm far from being an artist when it comes to nail polish, but I think you will find RedditLaqueristas quite inspiring - there's some exceptional nail art there. There's even a group for man wearing nailpolish on reddit (malepolish).
there is one problem. i cannot grow mine. i constantly chew them. there has never been a clipper on my nails
I fail to imagine that you would destroy a wonderful piece of nail art by chewing on it. :) For very short nails, you could just glue on plastic nail tips (which I doubt would be fun to chew on).

To get back on topic, I'd like to mention that I've done a lengthy shopping tour lately wearing a knee length skirt and 80 den hold-ups. I was constantly afraid that they might slip down, but they stayed perfectly where they belong the whole time. And I've got no reaction to the silicone this time, so it seems to depend on the manufacturer. In any case, I found them to be way more comfortable than leggings, especially at the restroom. :)
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Liino

Post by Liino »

Yup, tights and pantyhose are a regular item for me, it is cold enough I wear them often except for the heat of the summer. Some brands roll down and others do not move. The European brands are very good, Oroblu, Cecillia de Rafael, Gabriella they fit well and stay put. Knee sock do roll down around on my quads but if I am wearing a pair boots that stops em at the top. I miss them when I am not wearing them.
Liino
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I started wearing support hose in early in 2007 after starting a job in a data center which had me on a rotating schedule and on my feet for 3-4 days, 12-hour shifts with 2 more days seated most of the time dealing with server reboots, updates and so on. My mom was in a nursing home at the time and I'd stop before and after work for a while. Some of the staff heard me talking about being really tired when I got off and having sore legs and they (men and women both) unanimously recommended support hose. :shock:

I tried a pair and lo-and-behold...they worked! Shortly thereafter my podiatrist recommended support hose and offered a prescription. Since then two general practitioners have done the same. With 9 years of 24/7/365 less shower time and a few hours here and there kicking back and relaxing every 3 or 4 weeks...I've used No Nonsense E and D sizes quite successfully with no rolling or falling down episodes. Having lost some weight I can now get into Hane's Legg's Sheer Energy Q+ though they are a bit....errr....tight. :P I've tried a few off brands and they are the ones that stretch overmuch and loosen up and start sliding down so I stick with No Nonsense Smart Support and Legg's Sheer Energy. I'll use No Nonsense shaping tights quite successfully as well, in the same sizes. I was also given some Lane Bryant fleece-lined tights and fleece-lined leggings which are superb when the temperature is nine-below-zero. (Last night when I got in it was 9 F with wind making it -6 F.) It actually got up to 20 F late this afternoon and we are due for some more extreme cold and some snow Wednesday.

So. I think if you get quality gear it will last for several wearings...perhaps even 3-4 months (though sometimes with a couple patches of nail polish on the beginnings of a run and preventing the run before I replace them). And...sometimes you blow a pair the first time you wear them. So I carry a spare in my gear bag. I may get a pair of knee socks to wear with my kilts, but to date I've just worn my usual support hose, with tights or leggings depending on how cold it is. :D

And, of course, they can get a bit warm in summer, but that's a good excuse to wear a skirt. 8)
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Temperature: 47 deg F. A bit rainy and windy earlier.

Still wear knee-highs. Pretty much the only thing I wear.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo