On a 10-day trip with NO pants or shorts packed!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

On a 10-day trip with NO pants or shorts packed!

Post by skirtingtheissue »

I'm on a ten-day trip to California to ride trains, and it was so much fun packing a suitcase with 4 skirts and wearing a fifth -- and for the first time with no pants or shorts! A milestone for me, and also I was skirted on the airplane for the first time (navy business-casual knee-length skirt from Style J (http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... navy-skirt)). Love it! Next is an excursion train from Sacramento to Oregon and back, then on Amtrak for 3 days heading back to New England.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: On a 10-day trip with NO pants or shorts packed!

Post by r.m.anderson »

Having been riding the rails for many many years the only hazards wearing a skirt that is longer than knee length is the ability to be a Superman
and leap up to the tall platforms (stairs) into the coach.
The other hazard is wearing one too short and ascending the stairs to the second or bi-level coaches.
If someone is following you closely then it is no different than climbing stairs or escalators the shorter the skirt the more potential of reveal.
In boarding most stations the platform is either level with the entry to the coach or just one step off. The trainman may have a step stool to ease the boarding.
This is usually a non-event but one may be a bit self-conscious about boarding the coach on an open air platform.

This Sunday 10/11 I will be riding a steam excursion train from Minneapolis to Willmar Minnesota (about 200 miles round trip).
Check the LINK: http://www.261.com
1/100th owner of the 261 locomotive
Will be wearing my USA Tartan Kilt.
Planes - Trains - and Cruise Ships are my thrills.

Skirtingtheissue - - -
Enjoy your event - private excursions are a blast out of the past.
And the 3 day cross country trip must be on Amtrak's Zephyr - crossing the Sierra's; Salt Lake basin; the Rockies and across the Midwest
farm belt to Chicago then a connection to one of several east coast city trains.

All Aboard !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
jeffreyrichards2015

Post by jeffreyrichards2015 »

Very nice skirt
skirtingtheissue wrote: A milestone for me, and also I was skirted on the airplane for the first time (navy business-casual knee-length skirt from Style J (http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... navy-skirt)).

-----Henry
Can you tell me how the sizing works out, there seems to be a big difference in the waist and hip measurement on this style, how did you approach that?
Life's too short to worry, just get on with it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have bought a lot os skirts from Style J. They measure the waist in inches, I have found the sizes to be pretty accurate, i.e. every one I have ordered has been 44" waist, to suit my equator, sorry, circumference, no, equator feels more appropriate!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:I'm on a ten-day trip to California to ride trains, and it was so much fun packing a suitcase with 4 skirts and wearing a fifth -- and for the first time with no pants or shorts! A milestone for me, and also I was skirted on the airplane for the first time...
Yes, there's something exciting and nutsy about being far from home with no pants or shorts to wear, just skirts. It's like, "Do I have the nerve to wear a skirt in this or that situation? Well, gosh, I guess I have to, because I have nothing else."

Or maybe it's just knowing you you can be 100% yourself for a few days.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

jeffreyrichards2015 wrote:Very nice skirt
Can you tell me how the sizing works out, there seems to be a big difference in the waist and hip measurement on this style, how did you approach that?
I ordered size 36 based on measuring another skirt, and all I ordered (3) fit fine. The skirt I mentioned (#1) is just a tad tighter at the waist than the other two:
#2. http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... enim-skirt
#3. http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... rt-kn-0581
Laying them on top of each other, #1 and #3 have an identical shape; the flare in #2 is slightly less.

If in doubt, order two sizes and return one -- often a good thing to do when ordering online.

-----Henry
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

r.m.anderson wrote: This Sunday 10/11 I will be riding a steam excursion train from Minneapolis to Willmar Minnesota (about 200 miles round trip).
Check the LINK: http://www.261.com
1/100th owner of the 261 locomotive
Will be wearing my USA Tartan Kilt...
Congrats on your stake in the engine! Nice trip… I did that route in 1978 when Amtrak still had the North Coast Hiawatha.

October 25th I'll be on a quite rare and unusual trip: riding Amtrak through the famous Hoosac Tunnel in Massachusetts (http://www.amtrak.com/fall-foliage-aboa ... ress-train).
And the 3 day cross country trip must be on Amtrak's Zephyr - crossing the Sierra's; Salt Lake basin; the Rockies and across the Midwest
farm belt to Chicago then a connection to one of several east coast city trains.
Yes, the Zephyr is one of the best, the Lake Shore Limited (a.k.a. Late For Sure Limited) not quite so much fun

-----Henry
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:October 25th I'll be on a quite rare and unusual trip: riding Amtrak through the famous Hoosac Tunnel in Massachusetts (http://www.amtrak.com/fall-foliage-aboa ... ress-train).
I'm jealous. Unfortunately, I have too many existential threats outstanding at the moment to be able to even think about looking into that trip.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Yes, the Zephyr is one of the best, the Lake Shore Limited (a.k.a. Late For Sure Limited) not quite so much fun
Oh, I don't know about that. All of them have their own charms.

The Zephyr, I will admit, passes through some truly stunning scenery, whether it's the alkali flats in Utah, the climb out of Denver before one gets to the Moffat Tunnel, or the breathtaking run through the Sierras -- one definitely gets an impression of the varied landscapes and what the original railway builders had to go through. Staring at a sheer rock face out one side of the car in the Sierras only to see empty air and the far side of the valley in the Sierras was just sublime; the cut of gondola cars on the side of the hill outside of Denver -- filled with ballast and welded to a parallel set of rails to the mainline says something about the winds in that area; and even the leisurely stroll across the prairie going west before getting into the Front Range is nice.

I also recommend the Empire Builder as well. Being on that through Montana gives one an idea of why the place is called "Big Sky Country" -- the sky goes from horizon to horizon in all directions, and even the rails could have been laid out with a laser save for the curvature of the Earth in parts. But the run through the Cascades points up what mountain-railroading is all about, and there are places where you can see the other end of your train on the other side of the valley across from you.

I have fond memories from the Capitol Limited one time from DC to Chicago climbing into some hills when it was snowing. This was when Amtrak still ran dome cars, and the effect was like riding inside a snow-globe and being able to watch the block-signals go from green to red as the motive-power went by.

Or the Sunset Limited, which I was lucky enough to do when it was still a true trans-continental route, with the passage through the deserts in the southwest where I saw rain in the desert and was able to visually identify the change from one desert to another based on vegetation alone without resort to a map.

Even the "rare mileage" run I got one time on the "Late Shore Limited" which, due to a massive freight derailment in Ohio went a back way, taking us at times though folks' backyards, sometimes it seemed brushing hanging laundry along the way had some charms of its own. Of course I missed my connection in Chicago with the Southwest Chief, but got to see the train i was supposed to be on from the air when I flew above it a day later on the way to LA.

Yes, they all have their charms. Savour them! It's a truly civilised mode of travel.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Caultron wrote:
skirtingtheissue wrote:I'm on a ten-day trip to California to ride trains, and it was so much fun packing a suitcase with 4 skirts and wearing a fifth -- and for the first time with no pants or shorts! A milestone for me, and also I was skirted on the airplane for the first time...
Yes, there's something exciting and nutsy about being far from home with no pants or shorts to wear, just skirts. It's like, "Do I have the nerve to wear a skirt in this or that situation? Well, gosh, I guess I have to, because I have nothing else."

This really is *very exciting* . It's not like you can't run back home & change !!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Jetblasted wrote:
Caultron wrote:Yes, there's something exciting and nutsy about being far from home with no pants or shorts to wear, just skirts. It's like, "Do I have the nerve to wear a skirt in this or that situation? Well, gosh, I guess I have to, because I have nothing else."

This really is *very exciting* . It's not like you can't run back home & change !!
I'm past the "excitement" stage, as I'm so used to wearing them it's second nature by now. But it's definitely in the "fun" stage, and yes, I was 100% myself for five days so far. The train from Sacramento CA to Chemult OR and back was a blast, and the skirt doubled the pleasure of being in the open vestibules because of all the air blowing underneath it! We had 9 private cars and 2 Amtrak locomotives. Very few of the women wore skirts or dresses.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I have a similar trip planned in respect to taking only kilts and no trousers. Has anyone commented on your skirts? Do you get many iDrops? Im just wondering what to expect. I've only been wearing kilts in public for about 6 weeks.

Also, what kind of skirts did you take ? Patterned, solid, long, short?

Inquiring minds......

Congrats on your courage to live comfortably
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Regular Guy wrote:Do you get many iDrops?
Once again it seems I may be out of touch (or maybe only an English speaker); what's an iDrop?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Ahhhh. Sorry for the mystery.

Kind of a play on words.

" iPhone ". We all know that one

"iDrop ". = Eye Drop. As in someone having a glance downward.

It must be all the solitary miles of ocean. !!!
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Regular Guy wrote:I have a similar trip planned in respect to taking only kilts and no trousers. Has anyone commented on your skirts?
Probably the same as home. Some once-overs, some smiles, some bemused expressions, some WTFs, some stares into your face, some, "I like your kilt,"s. And of course the ubiquitous, "Are you Scotish?". Be confident and have fun with it.
Regular Guy wrote:Do you get many iDrops? Im just wondering what to expect. I've only been wearing kilts in public for about 6 weeks.
Yes, I do get once-overs, often with a pause or stare at the hem. But I also find myself checking out other people's (usually women's) hemlines. It seems endemic to the fashion. And people are curious and trying to make sense of you.
Regular Guy wrote:Also, what kind of skirts did you take ? Patterned, solid, long, short?
On my recent trip, I took only utility kilts. More broadly, though, I generally stick to knee-lengths. Camouflage is the only pattern I wear, otherwise it's solid colors, perhaps with a bit of decoration.

But you should wear whatever makes you most comfortable and confident.

Don't forget that everywhere you travel, you're a customer and they want your business. And even to non-merchants, you're going to be a crazy tourist no matter what you do, and they've seen it all before, and over time they've become either accepting or numb. So don't sweat it, just enjoy it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron