Too many skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Too many skirts

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Let's face a fact, you can only wear one at a time.
Actually.... not true. Here in the depths of winter I have found myself wearing two or three layered over each other. I'm sure there is a limit on the number of skirts that can be worn, but probably varies depending on how much weight the wearer, and the poor skirts at the bottom can bear. I'd say that on each fifth of sixth skirt, you'd have in increase the waist size to accommodate. In addition, less full "pencil" skirts at the core, and more full circle skirts on the outer side of our hypothetical skirt onion.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Moonshadow, speaking of skirt hangers these are what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014V9 ... ge_o02_s00
They work very well and the clips are way stronger than a clothes pin. Keep them in mind if your ever get to the point where your current method isn't working as well as you think it should. They are $18.66 for 15, and free shipping if you have a prime account with Amazon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gordon wrote:[Proper skirt-hangers] work very well and the clips are way stronger than a clothes pin. Keep them in mind if your ever get to the point where your current method isn't working as well as you think it should.
I'll second this thought. One of the inescapable axioms of life is that your life is only as good as the tools you use to make it, and cutting corners on things sometimes backfires in novel and unpleasant ways.

A few years back, my ex and I took advantage of the closure of a local clothing-store which was selling off not just its inventory but also its display kit. We bought a very large number of quite high-quality wooden hangers of various types, including a large number of skirt-hangers (of which I wound up with the lion's share of because I had more skirts than she did). These things will outlast my time on this miserable little rock, and I hope I can bequeath them properly. One might believably hang up an alligator by some of these things, and they're more than up to the task of holding even the heaviest of my skirts from falling to the floor.

As tempting as it may be, don't cut corners on tools. The cut you make will leave burrs, and those burrs will likely catch you someplace you don't want caught in the future.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

LOL, Carl. I'm pretty sure I have more skirts than both my wife and daughter. I must remember to take inventory, but I have a new one on the way...a ruched mini from Etsy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I bought two four packs of skirt hangers yesterday at Bed, Bath and Beyond (the kind with the wood bar and two metal clips on a wire below). After hanging up all the skirts that had been draped over the foot of my bed and several that were hung on hangers that weren't all that good, I'm out of hangers. I'm going to have to go back and buy a couple more packs to give hangers to skirts that are doubled up now and have some spares for future purchases.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You all underestimate Appalachian people.... we are masters of rigging things up! :lol:

Believe it or not... A lot of my "band aids" have outlasted many-a-factory engineered "fixes". Bring on the barbed wire and duct tape! :D

I'll keep my eyes open for department store closures for hangers.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:You all underestimate Appalachian people.... we are masters of rigging things up! :lol:

Believe it or not... A lot of my "band aids" have outlasted many-a-factory engineered "fixes". Bring on the barbed wire and duct tape! :D

I'll keep my eyes open for department store closures for hangers.

Remember the one time when you cut yourself on a slicer and used duct tape as a band aid?
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JennC03 wrote:Remember the one time when you cut yourself on a slicer and used duct tape as a band aid?
It was electrical tape. And I did fold up a little piece of paper towel over the wound. Hey, it worked, and it was a serious situation... I was bleeding like a stuck pig! Sure beat standing there dripping blood all over the floor! :P Probably should have gotten stitches... but pfft.... nah! Man my finger was sore that night!
-Andrea
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

moonshadow wrote:...Bring on the barbed wire and duct tape! :D
Like some of us in the motorcycle community say, "If you can't fix it with duct tape, wire, or pliers... it's serious!"

--Rick
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've heard it said that you only need two things in life to fix things up -duct tape and WD40 ( penetrating oil ) on the basis that if it moves and shouldn't then use duct tape and if it doesn't move and should then use WD40.

In the procurement of skirt hangers I've always cadged them from clothing stores one or two at a time and if I buy a skirt from the store then I ask for the skirt hanger at the same time. Never been refused yet. I now have the ( enviable? ) situation that I have more skirts than I can fit on the skirt rail. And yes, I have way more skirts than MOH and wear then far more often. Still thinking about ordering a T-shirt with "It's comfortable, cool ..." on the front and "... and MOH wears the trousers!" on the back.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, I think the clothes pins should work fine for now. I gave a good tug on them, and it seems pretty secure. In fact, it's secure enough that you'd probably either a) tear the skirt, or b) bend the hook on the hanger to pull it down. Don't forget, I clipped them on "clothes line style", meaning I draped about an inch or so over the wire hanger and clipped on the pin accordingly, just as though I were hanging laundry out to dry. It may create a slight crease by the waist, but it's so close to the said waist, that I don't think it will be a major issue, and should work it's way out during the course of the day.

The only issue may be with thicker fabric skirts, like denim. For those, I do have a few traditional "skirt hangers" that I can use. I will also start requesting them when I check out skirts. Most of my skirts come from thrift shops, and as they tend to be low budget, they may want to keep their hangers. I wouldn't blame them. Worst case scenario, I've located a few bulk suppliers that I may be able to purchase a case of hangers. I found one that is offering a case of 100 skirt hangers for about $35. But I actually think if I start being vigilant and on the lookout for skirt hangers, I'll have plenty in no time. It seems I'm always finding them all over the place, I just never saved them. In fact, I seem to recall throwing out a box of them some time ago. One could just start riding around behind department store dumpsters. I seem to recall seeing hangers being thrown in the garbage all the time.

Just have to be on the lookout! Remember.... patience is a virtue. Skirts are my weakness (I'll swipe that credit card to buy a skirt I can't let get away I.E. couldn't resist that Skirt Craft skirt any longer).... hangers are not (Ill rig something up to pacify the situation until I hit a freebie mother load)
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Duct tape: "It's like the Force. It's got a light side, a dark side, and it binds the universe together."

I'm also guilty of improvising bandages. So long as the cut is clean the human immune system is an amazing thing and will look after one. And it always looks like there's more blood around than there really is.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!