Too many skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Too many skirts

Post by hairy »

Well I think I have a case of OCD or whatever they call it. I dumped most of my skirts on the bed yesterday and started counting them, I have between 50-60. Mostly mini's, all are well above the knee and only 4 dresses which don't suit me, also they are mini. This is not just my fault cuz every time me and wife go shopping she gets me to buy another one. How many do you lot have? I think I'll start using some for cleaning my motorbikes with, and I'll stop going shopping with wife. Lucky they were mostly cheap ones, many good ones that I've never worn. Up to 60 skirts is rather a lot me thinks.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Too many skirts

Post by Gordon »

You must have a giant closet to hang them all in. I have about 20 and the wife says I shouldn't buy anymore. But every time I go to the second hand store I always look and buy what I can find that I like.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have over 100 ranging from 12inch through to ankle length. All sorts of sizes too from 12 to 20 so go figure on women's sizes, with the average being 14 to 16. Mostly solid colour with a wide variety from white through black, blue, red, yellow, but some patterned. I think that I have too many but just can't seem to bring myself to get rid of any. I have a whole clothes rail in a cupboard to house them. Seeing as some of them were given to me the whole ensemble has only cost me an average of £2.45 each.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
jeffreyrichards2015

Post by jeffreyrichards2015 »

Good timing on this topic, I have just been asked on another 'how many skirts do you have?'. So I had to go and count it up.
Knee length skirts
4 utility kilts, grey black, brown, green
1 black casual kilt
1 full tartan kilt
2 black lined pencil skirts
2 blue denim skirts
1 black denim skirt
1 M&S cotton skirt
1 M&S khaki lightweight skirt
1 camo custom made utility skirt

Above knee length
1 beige Dorothy Perkins skirt
1 cream cotton skirt
1 Next tartan kilt-skirt
1 White Stuff brown:patterned cord skirt
1 Stewart tartan kilt-skirt
1 white raw silk skirt

Calf length
1 olive green denim skirt
1 Benbecula tartan custom skirt
1 Stewart tartan custom skirt

Ankle length
1 dark grey NX Sport cotton skirt
1 light grey polyester skirt
1 black velvet skirt
1 black viscose skirt
1 black/grey striped stretch skirt
3 sarongs
Total 31 skirts

Plus
30 dresses
Life's too short to worry, just get on with it.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Over 50, enough to fill all the empty drawers in the guest room. The majority are short or mini and most cheaply from charity shops. I spent a bit more on a few from eBay that I am happy with, one I just had to have which is a change for me being normally disinterested in clothes.
My excuse is that I am experimenting with fit and style. I probably would wear 4 or 5 regularly throughout a season.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

hairy wrote:Well I think I have a case of OCD or whatever they call it. I dumped most of my skirts on the bed yesterday and started counting them, I have between 50-60. Mostly mini's, all are well above the knee and only 4 dresses which don't suit me, also they are mini. This is not just my fault cuz every time me and wife go shopping she gets me to buy another one. How many do you lot have? I think I'll start using some for cleaning my motorbikes with, and I'll stop going shopping with wife. Lucky they were mostly cheap ones, many good ones that I've never worn. Up to 60 skirts is rather a lot me thinks.
OCD = Overstuffed Closet Disorder? Welcome to my world! I may be approaching your alt garment closet population if I also count hanging dresses and stretch pants, and that doesn't count a couple drawers of foldable tights, leggings, workout wear, and slips/shapers.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
scooterskirt

Post by scooterskirt »

I don't think you can have too many. Last time I counted I had over 50 in all lengths, and I've bought a few new ones since then. I found a down filled skirt at Costco that is simply amazing, but it is very toasty and it needs to be cool outside to wear it comfortably.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Not 50, ...I don't think anyway, not interested in counting them really. More than I need, certainly. I comfort myself that they are mostly bough very cheaply at the thrift stores, or my employers bargain rack. Think the most I have spent on one was about $19. Most are in the $2 - $8 range. I do need to be realistic about it though, there are some I just can't wear, either because they are too short, too tight (and not within the range I can still get down too) or just a style that flat out isn't going to work. I’m a terrible hoarder though, I think I need to commit to getting rid of at least the same number I buy, from here on in. I wouldn't for the most part use them for rags, but I can donate them to suitable cause.

Significantly more skirts than pants now, and I spend a lot more time considering my general look than I used to, if nothing else, wearing skirts in public has definitely improved my dress sense and awareness!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

scooterskirt wrote:I don't think you can have too many. Last time I counted I had over 50 in all lengths, and I've bought a few new ones since then. I found a down filled skirt at Costco that is simply amazing, but it is very toasty and it needs to be cool outside to wear it comfortably.
Link? I wonder of it is available in Canada? Had the first semi serious cold snap the last 2 days, I've been looking at down skirts, though I still want to experiment with soft shell material, more flexible day to day.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I believe I currently have 9 skirts. Which is mild in comparison to some of you all's but considering I've only been collecting them since July of this year, I still think it's a good number. I seem to add about one skirt every 1.5 weeks.

2 knee length purchased today at Ross
1 just a little longer (middle of the calf) also purchased at Ross
2 regular length Macabi's
1 "short" Macabi (still to the calf)
2 "almost ankle length" purchased at K Mart
1 Mouseworks, can be ankle length or mid calf depending on how high I wear the waist.

No more purchases planned this month unless I pick up something reasonable at the Goodwill or something.

I actually really need to slow down. I sense this may be becoming an obsession. I can certainly understand why women own so many clothes. As I told my daughter today, "I remember when I was a kid, you couldn't PAY ME to clothes shopping, I HATED IT! But now I realize it was because boys clothes are just so BORING."

It really is quite fun! But I'm certain it will wane down a little eventually as soon as I discover my next great find (watch it be dresses LOL) But although I know it will slow down as newer interest enter my life, I'm fairly certain that skirts will be in my wardrobe for the rest of my life. I'll just get to the point when I go from purchasing three per week, to just replacing ones that are worn out (as I do with my other clothes), and maybe adding one here and there.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Moonshadow your right about it becoming an obsession, I'm not so sure that it would wane down for you as you've only just got the skirt buying bug. I can now see why women say they haven't got anything to wear, or what should they wear. Its fine for my wife she just plonks on the same style black trousers everyday. Getting ready for an outing yesterday I was asking my wife what I should wear, she told me to wear any of the skirts, It took me ages to make up my mind, and now looking at the pic she took of me while out I'd say I made the wrong choice. Down a country lane we was walking when an elderly man cycled past, his mouth almost fell open as he said hello, he looked the type that had a quiet life. I had to turn and look at him as I was expecting him to fall off his bike after seeing me, he really did look shocked poor old chap.
scooterskirt

Post by scooterskirt »

partlyscot wrote:
scooterskirt wrote:I don't think you can have too many. Last time I counted I had over 50 in all lengths, and I've bought a few new ones since then. I found a down filled skirt at Costco that is simply amazing, but it is very toasty and it needs to be cool outside to wear it comfortably.
Link? I wonder of it is available in Canada? Had the first semi serious cold snap the last 2 days, I've been looking at down skirts, though I still want to experiment with soft shell material, more flexible day to day.
I'll try to find a link or get a picture up for you.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Guys,
Let's face a fact, you can only wear one at a time.
As of this moment, I have twelve skirts, not counted.
Some are for work, others, for special occasions or just my whim.
Point, they are all worn on a fairly regular basis.
Oddly, I have never possessed the same amount of trousers ever.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...Let's face a fact, you can only wear one at a time...
Yes, one on each leg would be silly, don't you think?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Or a maxi under a midi under a mini?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...