Nothing But KILTS.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Nothing But KILTS.

Post by Regular Guy »

Thats right! Going away for a mini vacation next month and I'm going to take nothing but kilts, along with some shirts and jacket. The point is, being newly kilted, (6 weeks or so). This will force my hand to wear only kilts and NO trousers. Heck, I wont have a choice but to wear a kilt.
My wife will probably figure it out when we get there and i get dressed in the morning. She wont be surprised in me being kilted for the 10 hour drive. I have found it so much more comfortable for road trips that way. She WILL be surprised that i will have taken only kilts to wear since we may encounter some cool weather. For those times I plan on wearing a pair of tights to help keep the chill off.
So what kilts will I be wearing? Well, i have a Purple Rain hiking kilt that weighs only 4 ounces. Probably wear that for the drive. A Mountain Gear Elcommando for the warm days and a UT kilt with plenty of pockets for days we out and about when I may have a few things to carry.
I'll post back here when the trip is over. I DO have a few doubts about my thinking though. We will be in TN and NC and GA. Those areas are not altogether kilt friendly. But i guess I'll find out.
Let me know if yound my thinking is flawed.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Nothing But KILTS.

Post by Caultron »

Sounds like great fun!

I've done somewhat the same and everything worked out fine. Just be confident, relaxed, and friendly, and enjoy yourself.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Regular Guy wrote:We will be in TN and NC and GA.
While I've never even been to Georgia, I'm stones throw from Tennessee. You'll be fine! I've always figured thanks to Atlanta, Georgia isn't the backwoods hick state that it's taken for. I know their drivers are aggressive on our section of 81. Mississippi and Alabama might be one I'd be concerned with, though that could be an unfair stereotype on my part. I live near the coal fields of southwest Virginia, which seems to have the same moral code as Tennessee, and I wear actual skirts (as in purchased in the women's section) all over the place without any major issues.

Just be yourself, not timid or arrogant and you'll be fine.

And by the way, leaving the pants at home in my opinion is the BEST way to rid yourself of skirtphobia. That's how I did it.

Leggings (tights) are a good idea, it's getting a little chilly here.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Don't carry this to the extreme taking only kilts and leaving the damn pants at home.
If you have the hankering of wandering off into tick and snake infested red-neck back
country the pants might be a better option but around civilization i.e. Golf Course
resort areas go for the Kilts big time they can only play the funeral march for your cause ! LOL !

With the fall autumn temps falling kilts won't be a bad option. In the mid summer there
really is no comfort level with or without kilts or any other clothing - Hot is Hot ! And the
humidity doesn't help any !
Kilts are not really native to the SE USA but be cool and push the envelope buttons - kilts
are still emigrating into the culture.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I crossed the Edmund Pettus bridge in Selma AL, skirted. I got only friendly smiles and waves from those driving by. I'm not trying to compare my experience to anything in history, just saying that the times, they are a'changin'. Have a great trip. I too will be traveling to weatern NC and VA, but not sure how much I will be skirted since I will be with folks who are unlikely to appreciate individuality.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Well, the highland Scotish games have been held annually in western nc for decades. My experience for almost 20 years spending a great deal of time in the N GA Mountains, is people up there really aren't very friendly, in general. It takes a very long time to gain people's trust up there, and you pretty much have to be an active local, or they won't give you the time of day. Plus, they generally seem to have a sullen outlook on life in general, as it is. My guess is the hard-scrabble life they lead, and having to deal with the influx of wealthy tourists buying up land to build gaudy house that are only occupied a few weekends a year. Like I said, Ive been going up there for 20 years, 6-8 times a year, and I've only gained the trust of a few folks. It sure is beautiful, though. Have fun. Packing only kilts/skirts for a trip sounds *very exciting*.