Layering Fabrics

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jetblasted

Layering Fabrics

Post by Jetblasted »

For winter wear I'm thinking about converting some older flannel pajamas & thinking of a possible need for a slip of some type. I've found a couple of vendors on etsy that make them out of Cotton, Flannel, Jersey, Linen, & Heavy Linen.

I'm curious what kind combo of the fabrics above that is recommended? I'm considering converting flannel PJ's, or just buying a flannel maxi skirt, but not sure if a cotton slip or "Jersey" would be better for the skirt, or, the slip.

Thanks in advance.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Layering Fabrics

Post by Kilty »

Not sure where you are in the world, but M&S do a good selection of slips, for a maxi skirt there's a 29", for a knee-length skirt, there's 23" or if you prefer a 21 inch skirt, then a 19" slip would suffice. I wear them a lot, especially under a pencil skirt. Very comfortable, but also tights can add a layer of warmth as well :wink:
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Thx. Southern USA. This request for info is about Winter Maxi Skirts & what combo of fabric listed above works best.
Thanks again.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

With a fabric like flannel, friction will become a problem pretty quickly with other layers you may be wearing. If you're going to be wearing tights, this will certainly be the case and you may find it difficult just walking normally -- especially in a maxi. Slips, primarily, are used for friction-control which is why they're usually made from very slippery fabrics like nylon or, sometimes, very fine cottons; you will almost certainly want something of that ilk as the "base layer" between legs and skirt.

Petticoats can work well with maxi-skirts, especially if the skirt is very full and presents control problems. A petticoat will provide fullness to the overall look and tend to stand the outer skirt out away from the legs somewhat thereby improving manageability of the entire rig (think less fiddling with it trying to keep it under control). They also provide a secondary warmth layer as they themselves tend to have ruffles and layers. For very cold New England days, I have a heavy cotton "walking skirt" which, when paired with a cotton petticoat and a slip under the petticoat for friction-control, is good down into the negative numbers Fahrenheit. (Much colder than that and I tend to stay indoors.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:....... is good down into the negative numbers Fahrenheit. (Much colder than that and I tend to stay indoors.)
I would call that an understatement
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

CRFriend

A petticoat huh? I would never have thought of that. Can you provide any pictures of you wearing one with a skirt. I'd like to see the look. The pictures I find via Google all show ones that get pretty wide at the hem.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gordon wrote:A petticoat huh? I would never have thought of that.
Yup, a petticoat. There are a couple of schools of thought to them; one being the 1950s style which is an outgrowth of the "square-dancing" style ones which are short and puffy, and the other being functional (under)garments used to control and manage more voluminous outer layers.
Can you provide any pictures of you wearing one with a skirt. I'd like to see the look.
This should do it. For contrast, this is the skirt without the petticoat.

That is one of the two petticoats I have, and is the fuller of the two; the other one is cotton, fairly heavy, and is the layering look I've tended to use when it's cold outside. I've also been known to wear it with a shorter black skirt which just shows a flash of the red material at the hem when I'm in motion. No known pictures exist of it. (The one in the first photo is definitely an "undergarment" in that it's a heavy white thing with little embellishment save for an optional hoop which I have managed to lose.)
The pictures I find via Google all show ones that get pretty wide at the hem.
That's the '50s-style type. Functional ones are less full.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

CRFriend, thanks for the clarification and pictures.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gordon wrote:CRFriend, thanks for the clarification and pictures.
Yep, just another device for the tool-kit. I'm happy to have been of assistance.

By the by, I think I botched the "outgrowth" comment from before; the modern "square-dancing petticoat" is probably a descendent of the 1950s-era style, not the other way 'round.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

crfriend, would something like this work to make a replacement hoop? I haven't figured out how best to connect the ends so they will stay in the right position yet, but a simple steel tube of the right diameter soldered to one end might work quite elegantly. The only challenge left would be rust prevention. A little more expensive, but not enough to break the bank, would be something like this in 302/304SS. I wouldn't expect them to carry the long length you'd need, but any hardware store probably has music wire in a variety of diameters in three foot lengths you can test the stiffness of. The SS may behave a little bit different.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tor wrote:crfriend, would something like this work to make a replacement hoop?
Well, the hoop isn't lost per se, I know precisely where it is -- it's hanging, by a bindery-clamp, from the left upper door-frame in my old bedroom at my ex's place. I'll be back there tomorrow getting more of my stuff out. Other things have priority at the moment -- mainly what will make her happy.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Ah. A rather different sense of "lost" than your words first conjured in my mind. Hope collecting your stuff goes as smoothly and easily as can be hoped from here.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I wear a denim pencil skirt with five petticoats underneath for warmth in the winter. In summer I wear just one or two petticoats. Also good for maintaining modesty. See www.flickr.com/photos/51088561@N07/.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Gordon wrote:CRFriend

A petticoat huh? I would never have thought of that. Can you provide any pictures of you wearing one with a skirt. I'd like to see the look. The pictures I find via Google all show ones that get pretty wide at the hem.
Therein lies the misconception of a petticoat having a hem sticking out like a ballerina's tutu or hem line out of a Waltzing dress.
With too much volume the dress or skirt becomes a hazard walking about knocking things off shelves and getting caught in doors
Multiple layers of petticoats of course will raise the bar creating this effect.

But the objective in cold weather wear is prevent the cold from encroaching into the voluminous chambers and folds of the petticoat thus keeping oneself warm or
at least that by preventing drafts.

A petticoat can be almost as thin as a slip with multiple small bubble like chambers holding heat and warm in and cold out.
And remember that length has a lot to do with this equation - too short and the legs from the calf down are going to freeze.
Not likely with the gear sported by CRFriend.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !