In all seriousness how do you sit?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In all seriousness how do you sit?

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Hmm . . . . thread drift again. :lol:
In any case, I bought my step through bike about six weeks ago and I've only ridden it in a two leg garment thrice (to pick it up, and then to deliver and pick up for the one month checkup). I've worn both knee length and mid calf length skirts while riding and even though my longer skirt blows up to the top of my knees while riding, I don't think anything that should be covered wasn't. I try to remember to sit on my skirt while riding, though I think there was one time I didn't. Not the end of the world.
I bought a step through because I have a bad hip since childhood and it is easier to mount. The fact that I saw another man (non-skirted) riding a similar bike the week before I bought mine just made my decision easier.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirted_in_SF wrote:Hmm . . . . thread drift again. :lol:
Well.... not necessarily, after all, it was never specified what one is sitting on. The question of how one sits..... on a bike seat... is relevant.

And the issue of straddling the cross bar to successfully seat ones self on the bicycle is a prerequisite of the practice.

Most indubitably :P

Dear God, it's 2:47 in the morning, my goodness I must retire for there is work to be done on the morrow.

Ciao!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Taj wrote:Bicycling and a skirt leaves consideration to speed. I wore my El Kommando kilt on the bike this summer. The bike is built in the girl's configuration and I bought it that way for good reason. It's a Pedego electric bike. It's quite heavy and a bit top heavy with the 48V battery riding on the rear carrier. Being able to mount and dismount through the frame is a great deal more stable. The double tube construction in the step-through makes it plenty strong. I can peddle, use the throttle, or both together. With my long legs, peddle motion, and wind from 20+ MPH riding, the hem of the kilt will ride up a bit. A little conscious management keeps me legal. The extra ventilation on a hot day is most welcome. Lots of people have complimented the classic cruiser style bike. No one has questioned the obvious gender construction. And it doesn't matter, anyway. For that matter, no one seems to notice, or at least mention, the kilt.
Now days I see loads of women cycling in the shortest of skirts, and they don't seem bothered if they flash, it's YOU who will be seen as a pervert for trying to look if that's the intention. That gave me confidence that no matter the skirt or height of chair, as long as my underwear is clean, and I am just going about my business, I am not going to get so hung up on it. If someone gets a thrill from peeking up my skirt, though I think it's disgusting, there's little can be done. Just sit well, knees together or crossed, be careful how you get on or off a bike, and in and out of a car, and it will be fine. :wink:
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

kilty wrote: Now days I see loads of women cycling in the shortest of skirts, and they don't seem bothered if they flash, it's YOU who will be seen as a pervert for trying to look if that's the intention. That gave me confidence that no matter the skirt or height of chair, as long as my underwear is clean, and I am just going about my business, I am not going to get so hung up on it. If someone gets a thrill from peeking up my skirt, though I think it's disgusting, there's little can be done. Just sit well, knees together or crossed, be careful how you get on or off a bike, and in and out of a car, and it will be fine. :wink:
I do agree 100% with you.

Jean
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Ok guys.

I am thinking of buying a skirt 18 inch length with a 6 inch front slit. Dies this mean that I would be dealing with the equivalent of a 12 inch length when sitting?

I have taken the 18 inch length and subtracted the 6 inches for the slit and get 12 inches waist to top of slit. I dont know it it works out that way or if that is a challenge when sitting.

Anyone else out there tried front slit skirts ?
Thanks
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Regular Guy wrote:I am thinking of buying a skirt 18 inch length with a 6 inch front slit. Dies this mean that I would be dealing with the equivalent of a 12 inch length when sitting? ..
Yes, pretty much. There's also the factor that the rear hem rises up across your butt, and that pulls up the front (although not as much).

So tread and sit carefully, wear dark underwear, and just figure that some people are going to see it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Ok. But I'm confused. How do you figure the back hem creeps up near my butt? I haven't had this problem on other skirts that length. Bear in mind, I'm new to skirting.

So far i have just recently found that if I stretch the rear of the skirt side to side and sweep forward at the same time that I have plenty of slack to tuck a bit of fabric between my legs. This , of course on an A line skirt . I have no trouble with modesty with kilts as they are a wrap style.

Black underwear makes a lit of sense. Pretty much means the bright colrs are out !!
RG
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Ok. I think I answered my own question. The 6 inch slit in front would only be appropriate for me if I was on a road trip and driving . The slit would definitely provide some ventilation. For anything else, personally I really dont want the responsibility for my modesty as I view that as a distraction. However, if I were wearing black tights I think it would be much easier to get by with the front slit although a certain amount of common sense would apply.

I still may buy the skirt as a trial. As long as the price is right !!!
RG
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

jeanfor wrote:
kilty wrote: Now days I see loads of women cycling in the shortest of skirts, and they don't seem bothered if they flash, it's YOU who will be seen as a pervert for trying to look if that's the intention. That gave me confidence that no matter the skirt or height of chair, as long as my underwear is clean, and I am just going about my business, I am not going to get so hung up on it. If someone gets a thrill from peeking up my skirt, though I think it's disgusting, there's little can be done. Just sit well, knees together or crossed, be careful how you get on or off a bike, and in and out of a car, and it will be fine. :wink:
I do agree 100% with you.

Jean
^^^

What they said....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Regular Guy wrote:Ok. I think I answered my own question. The 6 inch slit in front would only be appropriate for me if I was on a road trip and driving . The slit would definitely provide some ventilation. For anything else, personally I really dont want the responsibility for my modesty as I view that as a distraction. However, if I were wearing black tights I think it would be much easier to get by with the front slit although a certain amount of common sense would apply.

I still may buy the skirt as a trial. As long as the price is right !!!
RG
You're brave with a skirt like that! I know I would flash with such a slit at the front of my skirt. Even with black tights I would still feel uncomfortable as it's a bit out of my comfort zone. Most of my skirts are pencil skirts, generally knee length with a fairly generous slit at the back, 6-8 inches, which adds some ventilation, looks and feels good, but gives me space to walk, especially if it is fairly snug on my hips and thighs. The problem for black girls (and guys in my case) is our big booty which can make buying a pencil skirt tricky, you really have to try it on first. Used to be an issue as getting a bigger waist size may accommodate your bum, but then it's bigger all over which can ruin how it looks. Denim is the best skirt material, though if it's more formal work wear or an evening out, it's a more typical formal one. 27 inch length is nice as the skirt slightly drapes over your knees, so if you want to slightly open your legs for ventilation or comfort, there's little to see unless someone really goes out of their way to look up your skirt... stockings and dark (lace) underwear is one way to keep cool, but in winter months that's seldom an issue. As has been mentioned before, just relax, don't dwell on it and it soon becomes a natural mannerism :wink:
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I have denim skirt with a slit at the front. I like the look of it, but use it only at home, or out walking when I know I won,t be sitting down. Seated, the slit opens up and reveals more thigh than one is used to seeing, and I feel it is not quite proper. Women are allowed, nay, expected to show plenty of flesh, of course, but society does not seem to like male legs much.
A slit at the back of a skirt, on the other hand, is fine.
Martin
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Couya wrote:I have denim skirt with a slit at the front. I like the look of it, but use it only at home, or out walking when I know I won,t be sitting down. Seated, the slit opens up and reveals more thigh than one is used to seeing, and I feel it is not quite proper. Women are allowed, nay, expected to show plenty of flesh, of course, but society does not seem to like male legs much.
A slit at the back of a skirt, on the other hand, is fine.
Martin
that's why I avoid the ones that button up at the front, all the way down the length of the skirt. Perhaps the fear of buttons popping open or other wardrobe malfunctions like showing a bit more than intended due to the skirts design just puts me off. Floaty skirts never appeal either, there's a lot that just have to be left to women. I am not expected to look cute and sexy as they do in certain skirts, the more masculine straight skirts just appeal due to their shape and how they help keep your knee together. It is nice to feel good in what you wear, but then it's how much you show... A vent in the back is there to help me walk, there is the added advantage that it looks good, to flash a little leg when you walk. When you wear one that is so comfy you forget you are even wearing one, that's the best for me. Skirts that either ride up all the time when I walk, or are way too tight are a no no. Kilts are cool, but be prepared for the questions on tartan. In a denim skirt, people see it as jeans and leave you alone :D
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Front slit, bad idea for a man, IMHO. Vaguely obscene. In fact, I reckon that 18" with a 6" front slit would be worse than a 12" skirt. It's suggestive.
Last edited by skirtyscot on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I have a couple of denim skirts that button up the front. I like them, just have to be careful how you sit in certain situations. Usually the flippy part where the buttons are undone will sit between the legs to provide some covering. Besides I really don't care what other people think. I'm almost always wearing tights/pantyhose with such a skirt. So nobody is going to see anything anyway.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I've never bought a skirt like that either. True, the bit below the lowest button might hang down and provide extra cover. However I'm more concerned that if the skirt is too tight it will pull open a bit and reveal things. A bit like a woman's shirt being too tight round her ample bosom, but not in such a good way! :lol:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair