In all seriousness how do you sit?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: In all seriousness how do you sit?

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:As a naturist, I find all the trouble we go to to accommodate people's gymnophobia amusing, but sad.
An interesting point.... I tend to agree, however rumor is we can thank Adam and Eve for that!

Although I'm more inclined to blame years and years of social conditioning! Consider the fact that what people wear today (men and woman) show MUCH more cleavage than what folks wore decades ago! It's a gradual process. Maybe in a few hundred years time, living your life 100% nude will be socially acceptable, and clothing will just be an option.

Once upon a time it was considered improper for even a man to slouch with his legs wide apart (even with pants on), now it's considered the icon of the "true man's man". Case in point, the popularity of the "Al Bundy" posture. Likewise, women who hide too much skin are often branded in lower social circles as being "stuck up", and they are encouraged to wear the skimpiest clothing that the law will allow. Granted, many (especially among competing women) will call them "slutty", but we all know the truth.... those hating women are just jealous, and men love to look! Even the holier than thou men, they just don't want to be caught looking! Those are the women that all other women wish they could be, and all men wish they could be with. It's interesting that those scantily clad women typically go for men who slouch with their legs spread in chairs.

Maybe we're just trying too be to proper and put too much emphasis on this.

Who knows... maybe we should just have fun. To quote a man's skirt mantra... "if women can do it, why can't men?"
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

How do I sit? It depends on my skirt.

In a long skirt, any way I like!

I have some straight knee-length skirts, and I find that if I bend forward slightly as I sit down, that pulls the skirt a bit tighter round my knees and keeps them together, blocking any view up the skirt.

If the skirt has a bit of flare to it, then I pull it out sideways under my thighs as I sit down, as this maximises the amount of material available at the front to dip down between my legs. (Also generally a good idea to prevent creasing of the skirt.)

In a kilt, legs apart far enough to allow the apron to fall between my legs and hide my nakedness. Or just keep the knees together, that seems to do the job just fine.

In a mini, chances are I'd be wearing opaque tights, but knees together is the only way.

As commented earlier in the thread, the current idea that men sit with legs apart seems to be a recent phenomenon. I don't recall it being widespread (if you'll pardon the pun) when I was young. I reckon it's to do with the ever-rising rates of obesity in western societies. More thigh means less space for your nuts! A slight bending forward or a subtle swing of the hips on sitting down, while keeping legs together, makes the genitals swing forward and then they can't get back between the legs to get squashed, and instead rest on top as you are seated. Of course, if you are foolish enough to have chosen to wear trousers, or unfortunate enough to have been forced to do so , then you will probably find that there is no room for this small but important realignment of your anatomy. Another reason to wear skirts!

Finally, you could try going ballet dancer style - wear a dance belt - and everything will be kept up out of the way of your vice-like thighs. If you do try this, be sure to let us all know if it works for you!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Deleted
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I prefer to wear Knee length A-Line skirts and when sitting the fabric falls between my legs covering up things.
The only time I go commando is when wearing Maxi skirts which if store bought are ankle length.

:ugeek:
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've worn skirts as short as 15 inches in public and I usually sit with my legs crossed, either at the knee or the ankle. No big deal if I show off my legs, I don't think about it, or worry about it, no matter what length I wear.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

I have only been wearing kilts and with that being said, they all hit mid to bottom of the knee when standing. Although when sitting about 4 inchs above the knee is exposed.

At home I dont really care what shows. But generally the apron and side panel seem to fall between my legs and mostly cover/prevent upkilt visibility. I have used the mirror app on my phone to try and get an idea of what others may be able to see. So far it seems modesty has been achieved.

But recently while at a reataurant sitting at a high top table on a tall stool, I made very sure my apron had fallen between my legs and even used the linen napkin as a cover.
RG
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Regular Guy wrote:I have only been wearing kilts and with that being said, they all hit mid to bottom of the knee when standing. Although when sitting about 4 inchs above the knee is exposed.
At home I dont really care what shows. But generally the apron and side panel seem to fall between my legs and mostly cover/prevent upkilt visibility. I have used the mirror app on my phone to try and get an idea of what others may be able to see. So far it seems modesty has been achieved.
But recently while at a reataurant sitting at a high top table on a tall stool, I made very sure my apron had fallen between my legs and even used the linen napkin as a cover.
RG
There is not so much of problem with wearing a short (mini) skirt or kilt if the underpinnings are not bright white or a flaming pastel (neon pink).
Dark colors tend to do very well in dark places. If forgoing the underpinnings then the usual cautions should be observed so as to be not so exposed !
Smart that one tests the waters so that one knows what precautions should be taken to prevent a misunderstanding of sorts even unintentional.

IN OTHER WORDS CAUTION CLEAN UP YOUR ACT -or- face the consequences !

But you knew that didn't you !
Obviously not the exhibitionist extremist !
One must know the limits of wearing short skirts; kilts or even short shorts !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this before...oh well, here it is.
Mostly wearing knee length stuff in public, which of course hike up a bit when sitting. I used to be able to sit quite naturally with my knees crossed when younger (and slimmer) can still do so, but doesn't feel as natural now, borders on discomfort. When sitting at the computer, I tend to naturally sit with knees together, quite comfortable and natural, when on a sofa, still knees together when in public, still quite comfortable, but requires a bit of attention. When on the train, with the bench seats facing each other, will almost always have a backpack, so swing it round on my knees, which tend to fall apart slightly, so as to provide a dip and sight blocking. At work, one task requires me to sit on a low stool, so have to pay very close attention to keeping knees together, not quite natural with a stool that low, not uncomfortable, but conscious thought required.

Everybody is different, we're built different, we bend differently, we wear different styles of underwear. (or not) All have an influence, there is no one right answer.

A related problem is riding the bicycle, though so far I have found most of my skirts provide enough give to allow good pedalling, but don't ride up enough to cause exposure. It looks like, I'm about to flash, but it doesn't actually happen. If wearing stockings or thigh highs, they might get exposed, (if worn a little low) but that is only a "problem" if you care about it!

Personally, I'm of a mind with Jim, there is too much body phobia out there, and even more double standards in regards to men vs women and skin exposure. Go to the pool or hot springs, Women can wear pretty damn skimpy bikinis, but if as a guy, you wear a comparatively modest pair of speedos, you tend to get all kinds of strange looks.
Last edited by partlyscot on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

partlyscot wrote: A related problem is riding the bicycle, though so far I have found most of my skirts provide enough give to allow good pedalling, but don't ride up enough to cause exposure. It looks like, I'm about to flash, but it doesn't actually happen. If wearing stockings or thigh highs, they might get exposed, (if worn a little low) but that is only a "problem" if you care about it!
I've been meaning to try my bicycle with a skirt on. I haven't done it with my longer skirts because I was afraid they would get caught in something (like the chain), however I may try the knee length ones eventually. I have to admit, the proper way to ride a bike with a skirt on, is somewhat puzzling to me. Does one allow the skirt to drape over the seat all around, or have the back of the skirt rest on the seat.

I think I also understand why "women's" bikes have the lower crossbar.... for skirts of course! Maybe I need a women's bike.

As far as strange looks with speedo's.... well you'll get them anyway wearing a skirt so six some, half dozen the other. Just do your thing and be happy!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I have to admit, the proper way to ride a bike with a skirt on, is somewhat puzzling to me. Does one allow the skirt to drape over the seat all around, or have the back of the skirt rest on the seat.
I think the general advice is to sit on the back of the skirt so everything hangs forward of the vertical post that supports the seat and thereby stays away from the rear wheel. Note that some bikes can be fitted with "skirt guards" which are supposed to protect skirts and long coats from getting tangled and dirtied by the moving machinery; google fro them.
I think I also understand why "women's" bikes have the lower crossbar.... for skirts of course!
Partially, I suspect. Also s they wouldn't have to lift their legs quite as high so as to clear the higher crossbar as found on "men's" bikes. Women ride men's bikes today, anyway, so, in a sense the gender "difference" is gone (as in everything else, it seems).
Maybe I need a women's bike.
They're available, but I suspect getting rarer -- at least here in the 'States. Expect to pay a premium.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barefoot Joe

Post by Barefoot Joe »

moonshadow wrote:I have to admit, the proper way to ride a bike with a skirt on, is somewhat puzzling to me. Does one allow the skirt to drape over the seat all around, or have the back of the skirt rest on the seat.
Last weekend I was riding my bike in a skirt for the very first time. It was a denim mini and at first I tried to let the back of it drop behind the saddle. Which turned out to be an exceptionally bad idea because the next time I stopped and tried to get off it stuck to the saddle and I just fell over sideways. ;) Recovering the remaining parts of my ego, I now just sat on the skirt and enjoyed the rest of the ride. I was wearing black leggings so I had no issues with accidental flashing as the skirt in a way sticks to the leggings. I don't care that much about it anyway. If someone really needs to look under my skirt, well, "here might be dragons..." ;)
I think I also understand why "women's" bikes have the lower crossbar.... for skirts of course! Maybe I need a women's bike.
I bought my bike about 20 years ago and I remember myself being absolutely against a men's bike with a high crossbar for no specific reason - just a gut feeling. I bought a unisex bike instead. The crossbar is lowered but not as low as on woman's bikes. It just seems that somehow my course had been already set back then. :) And of course, this crossbar is great when it comes to skirts. Its not the same frame, but very similar to this one: http://www.schauff.de/schauff/index.php ... 0&rahmen=0

I remember a video on YT with a girl showing how to get on a men's bike with a skirt without flashing. She basically used her left foot to speed up the bike and sat on the saddle with both legs still dangling on the left. She then lifted both legs with her knees together to have both feet above the crossbar and finally lowered them onto the pedals.

Edit: Yay, found it after half an hour history scrolling, enjoy... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlyWt7H7IA
Last edited by Barefoot Joe on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.
(Maya Angelou)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I've seen that video, and I bet it takes a bit of practice. I think I'll try it on a nice soft surface to start with!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Barefoot Joe wrote:...I bought my bike about 20 years ago and I remember myself being absolutely against a men's bike with a high crossbar for no specific reason
Actually there is a reason: the triangular frame of a man's bike is a lot stronger than the quadrilateral frame of a women's bike.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

pelmut wrote:
Barefoot Joe wrote:...I bought my bike about 20 years ago and I remember myself being absolutely against a men's bike with a high crossbar for no specific reason
Actually there is a reason: the triangular frame of a man's bike is a lot stronger than the quadrilateral frame of a women's bike.
I read Joe's post as meaning that he had no reason to dislike the higher crossbar...

Having come adrift on some loose ground while riding my mountain bike recently, I ended up straddling the crossbar. I was rather glad the bar was not an inch or two higher than it was :shock:

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Bicycling and a skirt leaves consideration to speed. I wore my El Kommando kilt on the bike this summer. The bike is built in the girl's configuration and I bought it that way for good reason. It's a Pedego electric bike. It's quite heavy and a bit top heavy with the 48V battery riding on the rear carrier. Being able to mount and dismount through the frame is a great deal more stable. The double tube construction in the step-through makes it plenty strong. I can peddle, use the throttle, or both together. With my long legs, peddle motion, and wind from 20+ MPH riding, the hem of the kilt will ride up a bit. A little conscious management keeps me legal. The extra ventilation on a hot day is most welcome. Lots of people have complimented the classic cruiser style bike. No one has questioned the obvious gender construction. And it doesn't matter, anyway. For that matter, no one seems to notice, or at least mention, the kilt.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.