Catwalk

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Catwalk

Post by Gregg1100 »

dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Catwalk

Post by dillon »

I think someone posted some of his runway stuff in an earlier posting. I liked the skirts and dresses, but the shirts and jackets look like George Clinton stepping out of the MuthaShip...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

I really like the looks of those (tunics?), and I especially like what looked to me like a sweater, sweater skirt combo (or maybe it was a sweater dress). I hope those show up in the stores in the men's department and that they catch on...I'd sure buy one or two or three...unless they cost like an exorbitant amount. :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

He has got to be selling some of his stuff to be able to employ all those young lads to parade for him. The tops & jackets were all very loose and cumbersome looking, the skirts, while all about the right sort of length, i.e. at or above the knee, didn't do anything for me as they were all narrow cut and made of knitted something. Same applies to the dresses, which all looked like very long sweaters.

Too many shiny trousers, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I was also intrigued by the skirts and sweater dresses. Quite stylish.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Liino

Post by Liino »

Agreed the tunics are nice, would like to find those somewhere! Fashion is changing for us!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I liked several of the cape/long coats. Then others there
I wouldn't give the time of day for. Color blocking is not
my cup of tea. One 'lad' was proud of his noticeable 'bulge'
yet others looked like....'I'm glad they paid me to wear this
stuff'.

A 'mixed-bag' of expressions.

Several of the skirt combos worked great with the knee-length
socks. The ones with the 'short-socks' looked out of place.

That's my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:cyclops: Currently the resident 'Cyclops' :cyclops:
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Uncle Al wrote:I liked several of the cape/long coats. Then others there
I wouldn't give the time of day for. Color blocking is not
my cup of tea. One 'lad' was proud of his noticeable 'bulge'
yet others looked like....'I'm glad they paid me to wear this
stuff'.

A 'mixed-bag' of expressions.

Several of the skirt combos worked great with the knee-length
socks. The ones with the 'short-socks' looked out of place.

That's my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:cyclops: Currently the resident 'Cyclops' :cyclops:
I agree, Al, about color block styles. Glittery stuff isn't my cup o' tea either. Ankle socks with men's long shoes make me think that the model would look better with trousers. Mid calf or full ankle coverage is okay for my taste. They don't have to be knee socks; in fact I dont especially like knee socks or kilt hose on men as fashion. It's fine for work or hiking, where purpose is served.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Kirbstone wrote:He has got to be selling some of his stuff to be able to employ all those young lads to parade for him. The tops & jackets were all very loose and cumbersome looking, the skirts, while all about the right sort of length, i.e. at or above the knee, didn't do anything for me as they were all narrow cut and made of knitted something. Same applies to the dresses, which all looked like very long sweaters.

Tom
First off, nice to hear from you again, Tom!
You had to go and do it, didn't you? You had to put a dime in the computer! Okay, with that here goes my rant/ravings/plappergeplapper/whatever...
I'm with you on the knee length thing, I really don't care for a skirt/kilt that is much above the knee. Ebay sells some wonderful "kilts" but they are 17" long or so, so TOO SHORT for me! As far as the straight look, I do like pencil skirts, but I don't wear them in public much. I try to stick with kilts and skirts that can be (and most often are) mistaken for kilts. I did wear a green (kind of a weird color green too, almost turquoise) pencil skirt with green belt once into a restaurant, and iirc didn't really get any comments positive or negative. I think one man looked taken aback a bit. Much as I enjoy wearing pencil skirt (knee length or below of course) and I like the feel of them, I just don't wear them in public anymore...maybe at Halloween. Others in this forum may see this as cowardice, maybe it is. I do wear a "kilt" though pretty much every day except Sunday when I put on pants. I guess 2 or 3 hours of pant wearing a week is tolerable, mebbe. I'm gonna post this then continue so I don't lose it all.
But as the saying goes, opinions are like noses, everyone has one (well most of us do, pity those who don't) and they all smell! What I mean is, I respect your decision to not like straight or pencil skirts, because who can account for taste? Just as I would hope others on this forum would respect my decision to eschew mini skirts, which I really don't like, especially in public, I mean for men. Having said that, I do have a 16" "kilt" that I wear when it's hot, at home only, and usually I just wear it topless, to keep cool, because hey, it's my home right? But I don't think I would ever wear it in public unless maybe at Halloween. Tbh, I really don't even like the feel of it that much, but it is nice to wear in hot weather!
Well I told you I would ramble on!
As an interesting (to me at least) aside, I have bought skirts at this one thrift shop called "Economy Corner". The ladies there know me, so once I went in to buy some kilts. I picked out two skirts, once was pretty much a kilt except it wasn't a wrap and it didn't have a tartan, but the shape was roughly the same. The other one iirc had a tartan, at least on part of it, but it was really too narrow to be a kilt. So to try and wrap this up, she let me buy the one that had the kilt shape, but not the narrower one. Lest any here think harshly of her, I do believe she was just trying to look out for me as it were, so I actually appreciated that!
Well, I better wind this up, but I wanted to end with a question, do kilt hose have to be white? The reason I ask I am invited to a wedding and with the glad acceptance and probably approval of the bride and groom I am going to wear a "kilt". My friend Sue though wants me to look as authentically Scottish as possible, even to the point of loaning me a pair of her (flat heeled) shoes because she thinks my shoes aren't kilty enough. She wants me to get the hose, preferably long enough to turn down at the knee, as I think authentic kilt hose do. It may be too late to get anything from a mail-order shop. So anyway, thanks for the input!
Cheers to all! I'll get off my soapbox now....
Last edited by Mugs-n-such on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Clothes worn with such sullen, miserable facial expressions don't tempt me at all. A pity they looked that way, as some of the men had wonderfully sculpted bone structure.

I imagine the ad I got before the fashion video began was geographically limited, and not everyone saw it.
It was for H&M. The message was : It does not matter what you wear ("wear red, if you have ginger hair", for example, or "wear a short skirt, if you are over 40," and also "Wear a short skirt if you are a man!"), but don't throw clothes away, recycle them.

Martin
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Mugs-n-such wrote:Well, I better wind this up, but I wanted to end with a question,
do kilt hose have to be white?
My answer is NO :!:

I have kilt hose in red, black, dark blue, dark green and off-white.
I purchased my kilt hose from http://www.savannahkilts.com//
Click on JByous Co in the upper right corner of the page.
That will take you to the clothing section and shipping is very quick
and reasonable :D

Uncle Al
:cyclops: Currently the resident cyclops :cyclops:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:Clothes worn with such sullen, miserable facial expressions don't tempt me at all...
A lesson for us all, when appearing in public.

Sullen, miserable facial expressions, however, seem to be the norm for fashion models, male or female. I suppose they're trying to divert attention from the face to the clothes, but it's always seemed like a strange marketing strategy to me.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm afraid I look quite smug and contented when skirted...because I'm happy! -Dances off singing Pharell Williams- At the moment wearing a Life Is Good mini.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Mugs-n-such wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:He has got to be selling some of his stuff to be able to employ all those young lads to parade for him. The tops & jackets were all very loose and cumbersome looking, the skirts, while all about the right sort of length, i.e. at or above the knee, didn't do anything for me as they were all narrow cut and made of knitted something. Same applies to the dresses, which all looked like very long sweaters.

Tom
First off, nice to hear from you again, Tom!
You had to go and do it, didn't you? You had to put a dime in the computer! Okay, with that here goes my rant/ravings/plappergeplapper/whatever...
I'm with you on the knee length thing, I really don't care for a skirt/kilt that is much above the knee. Ebay sells some wonderful "kilts" but they are 17" long or so, so TOO SHORT for me! As far as the straight look, I do like pencil skirts, but I don't wear them in public much. I try to stick with kilts and skirts that can be (and most often are) mistaken for kilts. I did wear a green (kind of a weird color green too, almost turquoise) pencil skirt with green belt once into a restaurant, and iirc didn't really get any comments positive or negative. I think one man looked taken aback a bit. Much as I enjoy wearing pencil skirt (knee length or below of course) and I like the feel of them, I just don't wear them in public anymore...maybe at Halloween. Others in this forum may see this as cowardice, maybe it is. I do wear a "kilt" though pretty much every day except Sunday when I put on pants. I guess 2 or 3 hours of pant wearing a week is tolerable, mebbe. I'm gonna post this then continue so I don't lose it all.
But as the saying goes, opinions are like noses, everyone has one (well most of us do, pity those who don't) and they all smell! What I mean is, I respect your decision to not like straight or pencil skirts, because who can account for taste? Just as I would hope others on this forum would respect my decision to eschew mini skirts, which I really don't like, especially in public, I mean for men. Having said that, I do have a 16" "kilt" that I wear when it's hot, at home only, and usually I just wear it topless, to keep cool, because hey, it's my home right? But I don't think I would ever wear it in public unless maybe at Halloween. Tbh, I really don't even like the feel of it that much, but it is nice to wear in hot weather!
Well I told you I would ramble on!
As an interesting (to me at least) aside, I have bought skirts at this one thrift shop called "Economy Corner". The ladies there know me, so once I went in to buy some kilts. I picked out two skirts, once was pretty much a kilt except it wasn't a wrap and it didn't have a tartan, but the shape was roughly the same. The other one iirc had a tartan, at least on part of it, but it was really too narrow to be a kilt. So to try and wrap this up, she let me buy the one that had the kilt shape, but not the narrower one. Lest any here think harshly of her, I do believe she was just trying to look out for me as it were, so I actually appreciated that!
Well, I better wind this up, but I wanted to end with a question, do kilt hose have to be white? The reason I ask I am invited to a wedding and with the glad acceptance and probably approval of the bride and groom I am going to wear a "kilt". My friend Sue though wants me to look as authentically Scottish as possible, even to the point of loaning me a pair of her (flat heeled) shoes because she thinks my shoes aren't kilty enough. She wants me to get the hose, preferably long enough to turn down at the knee, as I think authentic kilt hose do. It may be too late to get anything from a mail-order shop. So anyway, thanks for the input!
Cheers to all! I'll get off my soapbox now....
I love pencil skirts, and tartan ones look fantastic if you fancy a change from a regular kilt. I wore my Black Watch M&S tartan pencil skirt out to a party the other day and got complimented on how good my kilt looks! The cut of pencil skirts are nice too, so easy to just put on and forget about it. As for kilt hose, black pipers socks look better than the standard white or cream. Ebay is your friend here, both for hose and skirts / kilts :wink:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mugs-n-such wrote: Well, I better wind this up, but I wanted to end with a question, do kilt hose have to be white?
Uncle AL answered this with a BIG "NO" and that is the fact jack or whatever your name is !

I can't recall an occasion where White kilt sox would be worn except for some religious celebration
fostering purity and Godliness - maybe a first communion (in a kilt ?????) !
Never in a wedding upstaging the brides company !

The white you see is actually a cream or a shade of very light oatmeal gray.
Kilt sox with and without flashes are commonly worn in a more formal context and most certainly
not found in a field event i.e. "Tossing the Caber" *!
*Who does the laundry in your place - I think you get the message here - formal and clean - field and dirty !
Regular kilt sox sans details (cable knit) are fine for casual everyday wear.

When out and about it is a nice practice of mixing solid colors especially contrasting colors with the tartan of the kilt.
Don't go so far as to play the court jester mixing argyle and pink polka dots with your Royal Stewart plaid ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !