The Filipino Malong

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

The Filipino Malong

Post by Judah14 »

The malong is a tube-skirt commonly associated with the Muslim Mindanao region, though it is also worn by Muslims in other parts of the Philippines (such as in Manila) and by some non-Muslim indigenous groups. It can be used as a skirt, dress, blanket, bag and many other uses. Here is a malong being worn as a skirt being secured by a knot:
Some useful links:
How to wear a malong: http://sachachua.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-wear-a-malong/
Various uses of the malong: http://www.philstar.com/sunday-life/257 ... count-ways
らき☆
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Filipino Malong

Post by skirtyscot »

Looks good. I'm not sure I'd have the courage to wear such a bold floral pattern, but you clearly have, so go for it! Like many things men don't usually wear, why shouldn't we?

Something in that photo makes me think that you're not a Muslim. Can't quite say what it is, it's just a feeling I get. :wink: What do your fellow Catholics make of you wearing a garment that is more associated with Muslims?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'd say they think he has a well-coordinated outfit! I'd like to have a malong myself...very good!!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

skirtyscot wrote: I'm not sure I'd have the courage to wear such a bold floral pattern, but you clearly have, so go for it!
Well, we're talking about modern cloth versions of traditional tropical island wear, so bold florals are hardly surprising.

As for religion, if I'm guessing from my knowledge of that sort of region correctly, Judah likely has old cultural traditions coming down or recent missionary influence. In either case, I believe you'll find that that garment is traditional wear for the region, and therefore relatively expected, regardless of one's religion.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Great tropical pattern. I'd love to wear something that bold myself but right now I'm still wearing solids. Some day I hope. . .
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Thanks for the comments!
To answer your questions, first, while I am not a Catholic (I'm Episcopal), I got that shirt shortly before the Pope's visit to the Philippines earlier this year. Second, a floral pattern is not uncommon, as mentioned in this article I linked to in the first post:
Malong or sarong prints come in flowers, striped or with ikat prints that may have a central panel called kepala or senefa.
Here is a picture I dug from the Internet of a child wearing a floral malong:
らき☆
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I like it too, extra points on the tropical flowers. I'd like to have one myself, and I think the whole outfit is very well coordinated, it has a very laid back appeal to it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Play sipa (a Filipino sport) while wearing a malong? Sure, why not? https://alleluiapanis.wordpress.com/201 ... nao-style/
らき☆
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

This is awesome!

Looks comfortable, and I like the pattern!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Me wearing a malong as a skirt, another malong (the same one that I wear as a skirt in my previous pictures) as a sash, and a taqiyah skullcap:
らき☆
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Outstanding! Next time I get around an Asian clothing store I am going to ask if one can be found. We have a fair number of Filipinos, this being a military town, but since Subic Bay was decomissioned in 1992, we have fewer young Filipinos coming, so we have no specific Filipino markets. It all gets lumped together with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Viet Namese, etc. under the catch-all "Asian".
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

To help you in getting a malong, keep in mind that the malong is practically identical to other Southeast Asian tube-skirts, as mentioned in this article and this article, the difference is that in the Philippines, the more "feminine" designs are also worn by men, while in other countries men usually wear plaid or checkered designs.
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Malongs distributed along with disaster relief goods: http://malongnimama.tumblr.com/
らき☆
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Malong being worn in a Philippine dance (picture from http://pishbook.weebly.com/dances-and-instruments.html):
らき☆