Difficulties with partners

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Difficulties with partners

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

That's definitely good news Gordon. I hope the trend continues.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I detect an amount of wavering on MOH's part. During this hot weather I have been wearing skirts all the time when not at work even when SHMBO is around. There has not been a murmur of dissent which is unusual for her. This morning I went for my Sunday paper as usual and she was asleep when I left skirted. In the few minutes I was away she had woken up and as I entered the bedroom she asked if I had gone for my paper in my skirt. I didn't want to start the day off badly so I distracted answering the question by taking another topic. It was still early so we got up and went to a car boot sale. I stayed in my skirt as long as possible and at first I thought that she wasn't going to say anything but then she told me she wasn't walking around with me in my skirt but if I stayed in the car and read my paper I could wear my skirt. In the end I donned my shorts and walked around with her for most of the sale and went back to the car to read my paper whilst she finished off looking. As it happens I didn't think that for the short time I had I didn't think it worth taking my shorts off - I had my skirt on inside my shorts just in case she changed her mind. Now this may not seem like a lot to you but I detect a softening of her attitude so I count this as a win. She has gone off swimming and I didn't fancy going today. Of course, ducking under a chair, being a woman she could always change her attitude at any time but I see the lightning of the sky denoting a sunrise on the horizon.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:I detect an amount of wavering on MOH's part. Now this may not seem like a lot to you but I detect a softening of her attitude so I count this as a win. She has gone off swimming and I didn't fancy going today. Of course, ducking under a chair, being a woman she could always change her attitude at any time but I see the lightning of the sky denoting a sunrise on the horizon.
Keep up with the gentle softening of her attitude and hopefully she will come around to your skirts.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Well done sinned, I know its a difficult road for you.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Keep up with the gentle softening of her attitude and hopefully she will come around to your skirts.
Hear, hear!

Slow progress is better than no progress, and too much irritation can send you back.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A bit up and down recently. She had a rant about a week ago about me wearing skirts so often but in the hot warm weather they are so cool. For the past couple of days I have been wearing a white long-sleeved shirt with a sewn-in T-shirt front so it looks like you've got a T-shirt underneath. The shirt has white vertical stripes and I had on a white skater skirt of a similar pattern. I think that they compliment each other very well. I was laid on the sofa and MOH was sat on the other sofa and she said that I looked really sexy laid like that. I thanked her. Now today I am wearing the same outfit and she said that I looked really nice and smart in what I am wearing. Surprising perhaps but as she hasn't moaned since her rant she's obviously in a good mood. I take such times with grace and gratitude and now weather the storms without comment. Photo to follow.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

My wife is still a little reluctant about my skirt wearing, espacially in public. All day I wore a black A-model skirt. She was used to circle skirts with much more flare. This black one was also a little shorter than usual. At a certain moment she said that she liked this model more than the other skirts. In the afternoon we visited a friend in hospital and I changed into a longer denim skirt. I feel not yet secure in the shorter black skirt. When home again I changed back into the black skirt and asked my wife why she liked the black one more. The answer was that the profile of the skirt was more like a short. So if she is happy with this, I have no complaints. It feels like quite a step forward.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

beachlion wrote:asked my wife why she liked the black one more. The answer was that the profile of the skirt was more like a short. So if she is happy with this, I have no complaints. It feels like quite a step forward.
I recall the concept of a "stealth skirt". One intended to resemble shorts, with pleats at front and rear.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Caultron wrote:
mishawakaskirt wrote:Tonight as I write this UPDATE. Id like to report maby a small victory. I'm sitting next to
my wife in my black mod Trinity kilt. (she don't know about the fourm)
The small victory is that I have not been verbally insulted for wearing my kilt tonight.
She did voice that she still does not agree with me. That's ok I disagree with her on this topic. Atleast she has been civil today, that's a victory I will take.
Congratulations! Slow progress is better than no progress.

Keep up the gentle pressure and avoid angry setbacks.

It's been almost a year since I posted in the difficulty with partners.
Sad to report not a huge change in my wife's feelings. The last month and a half I had been wearing my kilts more frequently when she is around. Instead of once or twice a month In front of her. To one or two times a week. ( I'd like to start kilting publicly this summer) so I figured I need to try to nudge the issue at home. Other than a few Minor comments or sighs from her, she had been fairly quiet. (Success?) Then the other day I'm kilted, out of the blue she starts going off on me on how if I want to wear skirts. Maby she should get rid of all her skirts and dresses. It was a short one sided storm, that left me shocked. Thought we were making progress. Guess not. Mishawakakilt

(Additional though added later)
I find it interesting that she would be so quick to threaten to abandon her skirts threat. I'd rather see her abandon her trousers than the skirts. Here in the US it seems the dominant fashion choice for men and women is denim blue jeans. I'm SO sick of denim!
Last edited by mishawakaskirt on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I know misha, at the moment MOH is very anti-skirt and moans whenever I am in one around her whereas a short time ago she was fairly tolerant. Ups and downs. Ups and downs.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:I know misha, at the moment MOH is very anti-skirt and moans whenever I am in one around her whereas a short time ago she was fairly tolerant. Ups and downs. Ups and downs.
Once again, nothing's permanent if you give it enough time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys,
It is very true that nothing is permanent.
I have a double whammy, wife and daughter. The two are both quite anti.
However, daughter is out of the equation at the moment, she is away from home.
That has left me free to not compromise. See personal stories.
The result is that my wife has seen me in a skirt with other people around.
Some relations, some quite random and in public too.
Maybe not converted but progress, maybe?????
Still a part of my journey and enjoying the ride.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Mishawakaskirt, I occasionally get a rant from my Mrs. Increasingly rarely, I'm pleased to say. Usually she is pissed off about something else, of which I may or may not be the cause. So it's not really showing her opinion of my skirts: that is shown by her normal reaction to them.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Although I have been wearing refashioned-jeans skirts to do yard work for years, I only recently started making skirts from yard goods. I was pleased enough with some early efforts to be comfortable wearing them around town doing errands. My wife of 46 years was quite negative at first (the usual - what will people think? won't they stare or make negative comments? isn't this illegal?) and refused to accompany me anywhere unless I wore trousers or shorts. Still, I continued wearing them now and again when shopping, visiting the library, etc. on my own. Then last week we planned an evening out: movie and dinner. I put on my green-print wrap skirt. You can tell it's a man's skirt because the belt is tied with a half-Windsor instead of a bow :)
She said, please, not on date night. It's OK for running errands, but please wear shorts tonight (heat wave going on here). I relented and changed. But she was planning a shopping trip to Costco (a 'warehouse-club' store) this week, to stock up on giant-size packages of paper goods and other household needs, and I promised to go along to do the heavy lifting.
So come Monday, I put the skirt back on with a polo shirt (photo). She asked again if I couldn't wear shorts, and I said no, and reminded her what she had said a few days earlier. And we went out to do the errands - first making stops at the home-improvement store, a wine shop, and the gas station before the Costco. And it was just like any other time we did errands togther, just chatting about whether we needed this or that, store brand or name brand?, shall we stock up on this for the upcoming visit from the granddaughters? All in all a pleasant time. I've always known I'm lucky to have her; happy that she's kept an open mind on this and has come a long way in a short time in acceptance.
I wish all of you well, who are finding the path less easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ken do you have the same problem as I do at Costco. The heaviest thing I am carrying when I go in is my wallet , and by the time we leave its the lightest :lol: :lol:

Nothing is better than family acceptance . Its good that you didn't push the issue, I am sure that she is now more acceptable of you wearing your skirts out for other errands.