LOOKBOOK

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

LOOKBOOK

Post by Caultron »

In case you haven't visited it, LOOKBOOK is a Web site where people can post photos of themselves wearing clothing that they feel gives them a certain "look". There are no restrictions on what you can wear, but you can only post photos of yourself -- no one else, except maybe blurred in the background. The photos don't have to be taken in public but most are.

So it's interesting that as I write this, there are some 1,071 photos men have posted of themselves wearing skirts.

The figure 1,071 is obviously a bit high because some photos aren't properly categorized. Then again, it excludes 119 matches to guys in kilts, and 459 of guys in dresses (some of which, also, are incorrectly categorized).

But that's still a lot of guys in skirts. (LOOKBOOK always calls men, "guys.")

Most of the guys seem to be 18-40 years old, and most are fashion designers, stylists, artists, musicians, or other creative occupations. These are guys who watch fashion closely, who experiment with their own styles, and who find it interesting to show off their creativity in a crowd.

And probably because some big-name designers have been showing guys in skirts for some time now, some guys on LOOKBOOK are doing the same.

Once you've uploaded a photo of yourself with a certain "look" (outfit), other people can "Hype" it. This is kind of like a Facebook "Like". The more Hypes you get, the more other people like your "Look".

So here's a link to the most Hyped guy-in-skirt photo on LOOKBOOK. As of right now, it has 683 Hypes.

http://lookbook.nu/look/2368861-Cline-L ... nd-Crystal

Granted, this isn't the way most of us here would dress. But take away the chain-and-crystal necklace and the huge purse and it almost seems possible. The safari-style jacket and olive color definitely give this look a masculine feel.

The following link displays all 1,071 guy-in-skirt photos, ranked by Hypes:

http://lookbook.nu/search?gender=guys&p ... sibility=8

Now, fair warning, most of these looks are kind of, "grunge," with multiple layers and long, drapey, drippy, floppy lines. Wide-brimmed black hats worn back on the head are common. Still, these are guys wearing skirts in public and posting photos of themselves on the Internet in full confidence. They're expressing themselves, showing their art, and having a great time doing it, all around the world.

Even though these might not be the looks most of us would choose, any and every skirted guy seen in public has to be progress. And who knows, a bit more floppiness and a touch of grunge might not be such a bad thing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: LOOKBOOK

Post by dillon »

I found most of those looks refreshingly simple and stylish. Bravo!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

It's amazing with all these people that are wearing skirts/kilts ect I have never met anybody else in a skirt in my part of the world.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:I found most of those looks refreshingly simple and stylish. Bravo!
Well, you have to like grunge, but after that most of these looks do seem wearable.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

RichardA wrote:It's amazing with all these people that are wearing skirts/kilts ect I have never met anybody else in a skirt in my part of the world.
Well, it's actually a few hundred people who've posted, and most of them probably don't wear skirts all the time.

But it's still surprising you haven't seen anyone. Not even in a utility kilt?

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:Well, you have to like grunge, but after that most of these looks do seem wearable.
One of the reasons I adopted skirts was an attempt to get away from grunge and drab; there's too much of that already in the world.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:One of the reasons I adopted skirts was an attempt to get away from grunge and drab; there's too much of that already in the world.
I meant grunge the fashion style, not grunge as in grime or dirt.

It started in Seattle as a Kurt Cobain thing.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There are examples in there that I could adapt to the point of wearing.
What I would love to know is the cost of some of them.
I've seen "labelled" skirts up to the thousands in Sterling, call that same garment, "manskirt", I bet you could add a hefty premium.
Nice for ideas though, no harm in the potential.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I know. Some of the sources are listed as thrift stores, some as Givenchy or other top designers, and many as somewhere more ordinary.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:There are examples in there that I could adapt to the point of wearing.
What I would love to know is the cost of some of them.
I've seen "labelled" skirts up to the thousands in Sterling, call that same garment, "manskirt", I bet you could add a hefty premium.
Nice for ideas though, no harm in the potential.
Steve.
Yes, it's amazing how the same item can cost triple or more if it comes in a box marked, "For Men." And once you have it on, no one can see the box or the size tag.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I meant grunge the fashion style, not grunge as in grime or dirt.

It started in Seattle as a Kurt Cobain thing.
I quite understand, and was using the word as a noun instead of an adjective. In any event, it's not a style idiom I particularly like, and I have a bad habit of lumping lots of things I don't particularly like into very similar buckets (hence "grunge" and "drab" wind up in the same bin).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:
Caultron wrote:I quite understand, and was using the word as a noun instead of an adjective. In any event, it's not a style idiom I particularly like, and I have a bad habit of lumping lots of things I don't particularly like into very similar buckets (hence "grunge" and "drab" wind up in the same bin).
Well, as always, there's no accounting for taste, yours our theirs. We all do our own thing.

The important thing to me here is another significant (though decidedly minority) presence of men in skirts.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm not sure I'd call it grunge, which is so eighties/nineties. Its definitely post-grunge. Contemporary, even.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

dillon wrote:I'm not sure I'd call it grunge, which is so eighties/nineties. Its definitely post-grunge. Contemporary, even.
That could well be. I'm no expert. Contemporary sounds so mainstream, though, and while I see some people dressed this way in Arizona, skirted or not, it's not mainstream here. Maybe on the coasts, though...

caultron