Finally went skirted to a baseball game

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Finally went skirted to a baseball game

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Since I started skirting I have probably attended 75 baseball games but have been too "chicken" to wear a skirt. They can be full of quite macho guys, some in varying stages of drunkenness, and it just didn't seem the right place to wear a skirt or even a kilt. Am I overly cautious?

Anyway I just went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game in a knee-length denim skirt by Style J (a.k.a. denimskirts.com), went all over the stadium, and it was the most natural thing in the world; not a single comment (I never expect comments any more as I get very few of them). It's the same that has happened to me many times before: "Just do it -- you'll be glad you did."

So now I might have the courage to go skirted to "my" park, Fenway Park in Boston. If anyone would like to join me skirted I'll spot him a ticket!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Finally went skirted to a baseball game

Post by hairy »

Next time you go to the game you might find someone else there skirted, with any luck you could start them all off being skirted.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I wear utility kilts to NHL hockey games and have never received a negative response.

Look at some of the crazy outfits other people wear to games. Compare to them, being skirted is pretty bland.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I will give serious consideration to your offer! And congrats on the big step. Since most people are at sporting events for the game and not for trouble-making, I actually wouldnt worry about big sports venues...except maybe if it was NASCAR.... I have heard of African-Americans having chicken bones thrown at them at the Charlotte Speedway, so not sure what a skirted man might expect.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Well done, that's a big step in so many ways.
I doubt that in the UK there are any really big sporting occasions where a guy in a skirt would happily and safely go.
In this case a kilt would not count as a skirt.
Steve.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I went to a minor league game in a kilt. I got a couple compliments and a lot of stares. The hardest part was that we had lawn seats. Meaning we sat on the ground. Getting up and down without flashing anyone was my only problem.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:I doubt that in the UK there are any really big sporting occasions where a guy in a skirt would happily and safely go.
What makes you think that?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Caultron wrote:
STEVIE wrote:I doubt that in the UK there are any really big sporting occasions where a guy in a skirt would happily and safely go.
What makes you think that?
Too many double or is it triple negatives in this one I think! You doubt there are? where they won't or will? Sorry Stevie, I had to read it two or three times and think I understand, erm, I think you don't think there are any events were a skirted guy would go?
If that is what you meant I am a bit surprised, with the lack of reaction I have had while in denim skirts, either knee length or ankle length, I wouldn't hesitate to go to a sporting event skirted. With one big exception, I wouldn't go near a football match, not skirted, not wearing jeans, not without carrying a flamethrower! I have never been to a football match, however nothing on tv or in cities around games, gives me anything other than my unshakeable impression that anyone connected with football (or soccer, as it's also known), is anything other than a mentally deficient thug intent on an orgy of destruction.
I know thats a minority view,I know there are many fans who don't want to pillage the neighbourhood, however, a bellowing, chanting throng makes me feel very uncomfortable whatever I am wearing, more so when they are heading towards me along a street.

Back to the original subject, if I ever go to an F1GP or other sporting event I am interested in, I will certainly be skirted, or at least kilted. Like music festivals, these events are excuses to be slightly out of the ordinary.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

B&B,
I would fully endorse your assessment of the experience of attending a soccer match. If they cancelled that sport world wide tomorrow morning this contributor wouldn't even notice! Furthermore, my tolerance of it on TV, (seen in pubs ) is measured in nanoseconds.

Opportunities to don a kilt/skirt here would also be Summer fairs & festivals, where already a lot of eccentric attire among punters abounds.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I don't think its as easy to go skirted to events in the UK as it is over seas, just too many uncontrolled boozed up thugs here. I go into towns and countryside but not sport events.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

hairy wrote:I don't think its as easy to go skirted to events in the UK as it is over seas, just too many uncontrolled boozed up thugs here. I go into towns and countryside but not sport events.
I'm slightly surprised at that, maybe there is a difference between Englandshire and Scotlandshire, where many councils have banned drinking in public places, so much so that if someone left our ale festival depending on the direction they take, they may or may not be breaking local bye laws. In many places you can't take your pint outside a pub to drink in the fresh air on the sidewalk. Also you can get done in many places for having a quick can sitting in parks or on benches in public places. I resent restrictions on being allowed to have a relaxing can while feeding the midges on our coast, but if it prevents gangs of drunken bums breaking bottles in parks and pavements, then I think it is ok. (I must be getting old!).
Is drinking in public banned in any places down in Englandshire?
At the few Scottish events I have been to, I haven't seen any problems with drunken-ness, probably because they are very good at removing any drink from people entering festivals and they are so badly organised that to get any drink at all (even water) you have to queue for hours! Anyone who gets enough booze to be drunk deserves a medal!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

hairy wrote:I don't think its as easy to go skirted to events in the UK as it is over seas, just too many uncontrolled boozed up thugs here. I go into towns and countryside but not sport events.
I would not think twice about wearing a skirt to a major sporting event. I've skirted all over the UK in "safe" places and in rougher areas and never had an issue. My main issue with wearing a skirt to a big sporting event is that I can't think of a single big sporting event I'd want to go to. I have given away tickets to the British Grand Prix, Wimbledon and a couple of premier league football matches (they were complimentary tickets given to us by suppliers after more business; I reckoned others would get more value from them than I would).

Boozed up folks are often not the problem people think they will be; yesterday I attended a free event at the local brewery, where they were giving away the beer (they do not have a licence to sell it for consumption on the premises). Lots of over indulged folks, some very drunk, but no bad attitudes, no fights and lots of laughter. The only reaction to my choice of a skirt was some light-hearted banter with several different groups.

I often wonder whether the people who find trouble are the ones who expect it and so give off a frighted or nervous aura that acts as a trigger.

Have fun, it will show through and demonstrate your confidence,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I've been to something like one or two sporting events in my time. Interesting to do once or twice, but nothing I have much intrest in repeating.

Tom, here is a way to address the issue of intolerables being shown on pub tellys: The TV-B-Gone.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Tor,
what an amazing gadget! Never heard of one before. My real antidote is not to stay in a pub where every wall (or so it seems) has an infernal screen on it, with sound to match. It's a money-spinner, of course, but they won't be getting any of mine.

My very first date with my recently met girl friend was a visit to the BOAC 500 sports car race at Brands Hatch. Never again. (That girl friend is now grandmother to our 8 g'children). The next 'Big Event we went to was Le Mans, to which we drove our (then) 1928 Alvis 1250. Through a Porche driver, friend of my brother's we got parking by the Mulsanne Straight. We didn't get much sleep that night! Also never again!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Milfmog wrote: I often wonder whether the people who find trouble are the ones who expect it and so give off a frighted or nervous aura that acts as a trigger.

Have fun, it will show through and demonstrate your confidence,

Ian.
Ian has given advice along these lines before on this forum, and its something that I've taken on board when I do go out in a skirt or kilt. I do think it really makes a difference.

John