Finally went skirted to a baseball game

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Finally went skirted to a baseball game

Post by STEVIE »

OK, drink in and grammar out, apologies.
As I wrote I had football and rugby in mind and yes, it was quite sweeping.
However, the "mob", may just pass you by unnoticed but those odds will be considerably shortened by your attire.
Not just a skirt, but there are parts of Scotland where it would be almost suicidal to wear green, blue, red or orange at the wrong time in the wrong place.
Those are just colours.
In this case the difference between a kilt and a skirt could really be a serious discussion that would take some extreme confidence to emerge unscathed from.
Steve.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Tom, yes it is a nice looking gadget. I mostly just don't encounter tellys much, but there is one big box store I go in reasonably often that has a whole bank of the beasts right at the entrance. Every time I go in there I wish I had one to shut them up. The high-power version might be nice in that I could get a decent portion of them from well outside the place.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

johnb wrote:Ian has given advice along these lines before on this forum, and its something that I've taken on board when I do go out in a skirt or kilt. I do think it really makes a difference.
He has, and I can emphatically state that it does. If one is confident, that burns through all the other noise like a hot flame through butter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirbstone wrote:Tor,
what an amazing gadget! Never heard of one before. My real antidote is not to stay in a pub where every wall (or so it seems) has an infernal screen on it, with sound to match. It's a money-spinner, of course, but they won't be getting any of mine.

My very first date with my recently met girl friend was a visit to the BOAC 500 sports car race at Brands Hatch. Never again. (That girl friend is now grandmother to our 8 g'children). The next 'Big Event we went to was Le Mans, to which we drove our (then) 1928 Alvis 1250. Through a Porche driver, friend of my brother's we got parking by the Mulsanne Straight. We didn't get much sleep that night! Also never again!

Tom
Tom, I thoroughly agree with you about pub TV, if I see a pub advertising Sky Sports I treat it like a Government Health Warning and walk past in search of a decent place to drink.

Oh, just looked at the gadget, Smart! A friend of mine spent months in hospital after a bad bike smash, while bedbound he took great delight in a wee gadget, a combined watch and TV remote control. Whenever something like sport came on in the ward, he would turn the TV off. No-one knew he had the remote/watch thingy and everyone just kept complaining about a broken TV which kept on switching off, Brilliant!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I want one of those devices. In the hotels we stayed in, half the time they were blaring Fox News. I would have liked nothing more than to enjoy even a motel breakfast in peace. I did just learn though that there is a universal remote control app for smart phones.

In one hotel, in Albuquerque I think, that actually had a normal morning news show playing, we had no choice but to take a table beside a couple. We had to endure the husband who was unhappy because Fox News WASN'T playing. So he critiqued, very loudly, each news story and gave, as if making a speech, his opinion of how the newscaster was employing liberally biased editing to the stories. His wife seemed a bit uneasy with his high-volume pronouncements but made no rebuttals to his tirade, which seemed to be for her enforced "education". I thought the female newscaster was speaking very factually and objectively. I suspected his tirade was really directed at me. I was skirted with shaved legs, flip-flops, and painted toenails. I held my tongue as he carried on through story after story; this was the day that Supreme Court decisions on the ACA and same-sex marriage dominated the headlines. I suppose he had plenty that bothered him and I was emblematic of change he hated but was impotent to stop. I held my tongue as long as I could, but once they got up from their table I turned to my son, who was as irritated by the guy as I was, and said in a normal voice "What an a--hole!" The wife, it seemed, was just out of sight getting more coffee, and she suddenly reappeared saying "Everyone has a right to an opinion...", to which I replied "Absolutely. And now you have mine."
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

dillon wrote:. . . and she suddenly reappeared saying "Everyone has a right to an opinion...", to which I replied "Absolutely. And now you have mine."
Ah, but they don't have a right to force their opinion on everyone around them.

I work for a company that happens to own a hotel in Albuquerque, I hope this didn't happen at our hotel. Unfortunately, the owner is installing more and larger TVs in the public areas as we do each renovation. I cringe each time I have the write the checks to pay for them.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

dillon wrote: In one hotel, in Albuquerque I think, that actually had a normal morning news show playing, we had no choice but to take a table beside a couple. We had to endure the husband who was unhappy because Fox News WASN'T playing. So he critiqued, very loudly, each news story and gave, as if making a speech, his opinion of how the newscaster was employing liberally biased editing to the stories.
I gather from the comments on this article that "Fox News" is registered not as a news channel but as an entertainment channel-
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/san-fra ... real-news/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pleated wrote:I gather from the comments on this article that "Fox News" is registered not as a news channel but as an entertainment channel-
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/san-fra ... real-news/
That is the way it should be registered. I don't even view it as "entertainment", though, but rather outright propaganda.

Is there any way we could send Rupert Murdoch back to Australia where he came from? :scratch:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Rupert Murdoch is just a doddering old fart now. His son James runs the publishing empire. Roger Ailes is the man to blame for right-wing propaganda machine called Fox News. It has the primary function of making old white bigots comfortable with their prejudices.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

We do not want him back or his son for that matter.
John from Down Under.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:Is there any way we could send Rupert Murdoch back to Australia where he came from? :scratch:
I believe Rupert is a naturalized US citizen. However, it is possible to revoke the naturalization of a person for criminal activity. . . . . :alien:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Wow, do these threads go off-topic!!

Update: I've been to 5 games at Fenway Park skirted... I'm wondering why I didn't before! Nothing to it.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:...I've been to 5 games at Fenway Park skirted... I'm wondering why I didn't before! Nothing to it.
Same with Phoenix Coyotes (NHL) hockey games.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
KasparHauser

Post by KasparHauser »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Wow, do these threads go off-topic!!

Update: I've been to 5 games at Fenway Park skirted... I'm wondering why I didn't before! Nothing to it.
This summer I went to a Phillies game at Citizens Bank Park in a utility kilt for the first time. I too was a bit curious about if the reaction would be different at a sporting event but it was pretty much the same as any other venue. I'd like to get a custom kilt made for my Cardinals for when I attend home games in St. Louis. Haven't been to Fenway yet but I'd love to next time the Cards play in Boston in the regular season. Thanks also for the denim skirt link. I've been thinking about one for the fall/winter.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

KasparHauser wrote:... I'd like to get a custom kilt made for my Cardinals for when I attend home games in St. Louis. Haven't been to Fenway yet but I'd love to next time the Cards play in Boston in the regular season. Thanks also for the denim skirt link. I've been thinking about one for the fall/winter.
Souvenir shops don't have skirts, or even pants for that matter. (Illogical: if real team jerseys are available, why can't you buy real uniform pants???) Well, I had your idea of a custom creation also, and my talented seamstress daughter is going to make me a skirt out of two or three Red Sox t-shirts. It should be a sensation because no fans show team colors below the waist.

I now have 4 Style J skirts that are among my favorites. You can see reviews of two at http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... rt-kn-0581 and http://www.denimskirts.com/collections/ ... enim-skirt. I wear those a lot.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!