Stampede outfit suggestions

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Stampede outfit suggestions

Post by partlyscot »

OK, following on from the believability aspect on my other recent thread,
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... =2&t=17653
It occurs to me, that this year, I have the opportunity, and reason, to actually put together a stampede outfit. This is the Calgary Stampede I’m talking about, a week long excuse to dress like a cowboy, or too often in the ladies case, like a saloon girl. Traditionally, the guys go with jeans and cowboy boots for the bottom half. I have come to hate jeans. Tight and/or stiff, heavy, rough fabric, ugh!

Jean skirts now...the fabric tends to be a bit softer, and a slip can make a difference as well. I've got a couple of various lengths and widths, and finding more at thrift store prices aren't a problem. I picked up a plain leather vest yesterday, and have other options there as well.

What I'm looking for are other ideas and suggestions, footwear? Cowboy boots are not my favourite thing, and with a knee length skirt I have doubts about the look. I think one of the more geometric shirts will do OK with the vest, or a plain shirt with a more spectacular vest for the opposite effect.

Anyway, your thoughts please.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Stampede outfit suggestions

Post by Kilted_John »

Hiking boots would work. Not much of a cowboy type of thing, but, they do pass as something that some farmers would wear while tending to their fields... Add some dark long socks, and it probably would look fine. Shirt sounds fine.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Durango Shoe Boot Slip On

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F1 ... PDKIKX0DER

But please, don't do the saloon girl thing unless you're really confident.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Caultron wrote:Durango Shoe Boot Slip On

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F1 ... PDKIKX0DER

But please, don't do the saloon girl thing unless you're really confident.
Ha! No intention of that, though i could play it for laughs. Those shoes not my style, one of the reasons I don't like Cowboy boots is the height of the heel, I do NOT need more height! I've been trying to get something like a riding boot, but lower heel than usual.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

What would be wrong with a cowhide or leather kilt ?
The socks and footwear maybe a tough hombre to match.
With a solid color kilt a shirt could be of any pattern; weave or design - bow tie not needed but a bolero would do.
A vest would be an option to consider.
Skip the 10 gallon hat thing - but I think a tan colored beret would be fine.
Now back to the footwear - Cream or vanilla colored kilt sox would work - how about leather flashes matching the kilt ?
The shoes or boots - the one linked to above has a cowboy (girl) western impression on the top of the foot - the heel
is like that of a cowboy riding boot - "BUT" the short ankle structure just throws the image off - it is normally expected
that the top of the boot would go at least halfway up the leg (calf).
As for a spooran - what the devil would you need that for - the saddle horn would be the end of such silly nonsense !
Bareback riding is not the same thing as "El Commando" watch it here @$#!& !

"SO YIPPEE KI YAY - THE KILTED COWBOY RIDES AGAIN" - And maybe off into the sunset ?

And whoa be if the horse snickers at his riders new digs !
You wearing that ? Not on my back ! I will dump you in the first manure pile I see !
There will be no triple crown for this rider !

Oh I think you have us mistaken for that other Rodeo (drive) in Hollywood and maybe a Midnight Cowboy !

So much for this humor - the Canadian Mounted Police can an arrange for my protection as clown of the Rodeo !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Thanks for the laughs!

Seriously, there a few ideas in that lot that may be worth considering. I have been thinking about some custom kilts/skirt/dress ideas. They do include a leather, or leather decorated kilt. Alt Kilts have some very interesting designs, and they are willing to work with you. I saw one on their flicker stream in a bright red PVC! Not my thing, but I'm impressed that they were willing to do it. They have done some very interesting steampunk looking things. Maybe something like Doc Brown in Back to the future 3 could be work as a stampede outfit? Next year, that would take a lot to get working for this go round, it's about a month away. Feel free everyone to throw crazy ideas into the ring, if it doesn't work for this project, it's all good stuff to mull over.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote:Maybe something like Doc Brown in Back to the future 3 could be work as a stampede outfit? Next year, that would take a lot to get working for this go round, it's about a month away. Feel free everyone to throw crazy ideas into the ring, if it doesn't work for this project, it's all good stuff to mull over.
Theoretically, anything "Old West", Victorian, or Steampunk would work well. After all, "Old West" is the "functional" version of Victorian fashion, and Steampunk tends toward Victorian with a serious attitude. You've got almost a century's-worth of temporal latitude in there, and you get to define what your persona is -- be it crazed scientist, eccentric academic, dapper business type, or intrepid tinkerer. It wasn't all cowpokes and saloon-girls you know. In short, the sky's the limit -- that and your budget.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Liino

Post by Liino »

Hey Partlyscot, how about a pair of sandals, since it is commonly warm there, they would go with skirt and white shirt and vest (if natural brown). Many styles now even Keen or Birkenstocks. I have Rockport sandals which are very comfy and would fit the outfit which I am putting together for myself.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote:You've got almost a century's-worth of temporal latitude in there, and you get to define what your persona is -- be it crazed scientist, eccentric academic, dapper business type, or intrepid tinkerer. It wasn't all cowpokes and saloon-girls you know. In short, the sky's the limit -- that and your budget.
Yes, that's the thought behind it, I can mix and match almost with abandon, though I need to keep it tied close enough to the Stampede theme for it to fall in with the latitude allowed for that week.
Liino wrote:Hey Partlyscot, how about a pair of sandals, since it is commonly warm there, they would go with skirt and white shirt and vest (if natural brown). Many styles now even Keen or Birkenstocks. I have Rockport sandals which are very comfy and would fit the outfit which I am putting together for myself.
Warm here? Well hopefully, but it''s almost a tradition that we get at least one humongous thunderstorm that week. It's even been known to snow.....
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

How about an almost ankle length leather-skirted blacksmith?
You're just wearing the 'smithys apron' all around you :)

Just a thought :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Think saloon gambler. Waistcoat, vest, old fashioned tie, white shirt, arm garters, black hat, then substitute a skirt for the trousers. Just my suggestion.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Couple of good suggestions there, I had considered something along the lines of the gambler, the arm bands were what I was thinking of, though I was thinking maybe telegraph operator, or maybe gold assayer, something like that. I hadn't been thinking about a longer skirt, but I do have a black suede leather skirt, about mid calf....add the black leather vest, get some of my friends who are into horses to grab me some horseshoes....hmmm. Chunky black work boots, even if a little bashed up, should be able to find something in the thrift stores...Black leather cap? Regular flat cap? I'll see what's out there.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

Here's a link to some skirt wearing gentlemen from the 1850s. Toggle to the uniform section for some great historical ideas.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_New ... r_Infantry
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.