Spanish TV fashion week

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Spanish TV fashion week

Post by skirtingtoday »

Found this video clip : (no idea how the conversation goes)

http://www.telecinco.es/salvame/2015/en ... 55180.html

The caption below the video clip translates as (including my corrections to the Babelfish direct translation), "The \'SLVM Fashion Week' has been surrounded by glamour and style in all its facets. The public was also dressed for the occasion. In particular, a guy wore a jacket and skirt set."
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Spanish TV fashion week

Post by JohnH »

Glad the concept of a man wearing a skirt was presented. However, I think the look is really uncoordinated. A longer black skirt would have been better, and lighter shoes (at least men's dress shoes if not women's shoes) would have looked better than those clod-hoppers.

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

JohnH wrote:Glad the concept of a man wearing a skirt was presented. However, I think the look is really uncoordinated. A longer black skirt would have been better, and lighter shoes (at least men's dress shoes if not women's shoes) would have looked better than those clod-hoppers.

John
Had no issue with the shoes, but the skirt just didn't work well with the rest of the 'fit.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

The conversation was, roughly,
"What do you call this skirt?
- a futuristic skirt for falleros {referring to the big, BIG, annual festivities when they burn a variety of painted figurines with political themes in Valencia town centre. The figures/fallas are generally several meters high and the town firemen are kept very busy)}.
"Do you go out in this?
- oh yes; fo course.
"And what do people say?
- nothing at all.

I'd say this fellow is wearing a masculine outfit, emphasized by the jacket and heavy shoes. This could not be called cross dressing.

Martin
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Couya wrote:...I'd say this fellow is wearing a masculine outfit, emphasized by the jacket and heavy shoes. This could not be called cross dressing...
That's in the mind of the beholder.

It seems there's a fair amount of angst here sometimes about what's cross-dressing, what's transvestitism, and what's not. I wonder sometimes if that's because the speaker views cross-dressers and transvestites negatively, and therefore wouldn't want to be one, even though he does like wearing skirts and most likely some associated paraphernalia. So it may all be just a matter of self image.

Jim
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

While the outfit may not be to everyone's taste, if it gets no reaction than that's good in my books (well at least no negative reaction).

I think most of the battle is having a positive attitude when wearing a skirt. If you carry yourself in a positive way, people's perceptions of what you wear change. If you have a well put together outfit but look guilty and ashamed, then people will think that there is a problem.

The opposite is (I think) true as well. If you wear a badly put together outfit but do so with aplomb, you can get away with it a lot easier!

I'm sure others would disagree with this though, but that's what I think.

tl;dr - Confidence is important when wearing a skirt or dress!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Couya wrote:The conversation was, roughly,
"What do you call this skirt?
- a futuristic skirt for falleros {referring to the big, BIG, annual festivities when they burn a variety of painted figurines with political themes in Valencia town centre. The figures/fallas are generally several meters high and the town firemen are kept very busy)}.
"Do you go out in this?
- oh yes; fo course.
"And what do people say?
- nothing at all.

I'd say this fellow is wearing a masculine outfit, emphasized by the jacket and heavy shoes. This could not be called cross dressing.

Martin
Martin - Thanks for the translation. It shows that people do not bother at all.

My view on the outfit is that it is a bold statement and as you say NOT cross-dressing. However, I wouldn't say it was un-coordinated - a plain black jacket with a black/white patterned skirt is fine - but if both were patterned, or had contrasting colours, that would be uncoordinated in my view. I woudl wear that skirt with a tee-shirt or polo shirt. (wonder where he saw/bought it?)

I would hope it goes some of the viewers food for thought.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

renesm1 wrote: ...I think most of the battle is having a positive attitude when wearing a skirt. If you carry yourself in a positive way, people's perceptions of what you wear change. If you have a well put together outfit but look guilty and ashamed, then people will think that there is a problem...
Exactly.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron