Why shouldn't I go out in a mini

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why shouldn't I go out in a mini

Post by john62 »

Like many things in this world there two standards. If a female exposes herself in some circles this is seen as not such bad thing and explained as an accident, in the case of a male any such exposure is seen as very bad and treated as such.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Its really that double standard view that partly prompted me to start this. I don't really want to see a girl in a short skirt flashing undies any more than I do a bloke. So how is it a girl can flash but a bloke in a short skirt who shows even the thigh is a no no? It does make it sexist against men wearing a mini. How can girls wear a mini but not blokes? The mini's I want to go out in would be mid thigh length, of light material that flows into any gaps, but wife say's they would be illegal because of length. If nothing's on display then why? Wish I could post pics so I could get feedback.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

hairy wrote: The mini's I want to go out in would be mid thigh length, of light material that flows into any gaps, but wife say's they would be illegal because of length.
I expect "illegal" means against the law she's laying down for you.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I don't have any issue with seeing a glimpse of underwear, male or female, as such. If you can see enough, to be able to discern...details, then we may have a problem. The way I usually describe that, is to say, I have no interest in giving you any evidence of my religion. You can figure out similar standards for women. I feel that there is far too much body modesty these days, particularly in North America, and from what I read, in the UK as well. To go along with that, there is the double ( Triple? Quadruple? ) standard. Being able to discern a women's body, in such a way that you can make a clear judgement of her attractiveness, is usually considered an OK thing, if she is judged as unattractive, by some current standards, then she might get mocked, or worse. A guy will quite often get mocked for such clothing, attractive or not.

However, there are considerations for venue. A tiny, or form fitting bikini is acceptable on the beach, or at the pool, but out of place in the high street. Same for a pair of speedos. How you apply this adjustable standard is a measure of your attitudes and taste. There is a saying, "bike shorts become more ridiculous, the further away from the bike you get." I found myself very self conscious the first time I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work in bike shorts. I got a few startled looks, but the people seemed to get over it, and so did I. The only time anybody ever said anything, I had ridden over the bookstore, and was browsing the magazines. A very nice and polite young gentleman complimented me on my shorts. I was startled, looked at him smiling at me, then carefully smiled, thanked him politely, and walked away around the other side. No problem.

I have just this week begun wearing a skirt at work, there have been no hassles, but some very definite startled looks, some very carefully controlled expressions, several compliments. So far a success, or at least not a problem. It was a knee length skirt, in a poly cotton type fabric, not too dissimilar from a simplified Elkommando. There is no danger of exposure, unless climbing ladders, getting on or off my bicycle, or injudiciously putting my foot on a bench to tie my laces. As my co-workers and regular customers get used to my clothing, I will introduce more colourful and fun designs. Mini skirt? There are some "I" feel, could work, but it's something I need to think carefully about, and pay close attention to how it works generally. I would be wearing it with dark, or matching colour, underwear, and of course, I'm currently wearing underwear with the knee length skirt, albeit sometimes brighter coloured ones. I exclusively wear briefs, there are no leg openings that aren't elasticated, nothing can dangle, or become directly visible. If I fell over legs akimbo, the most that could happen would be a comment on the colour, at least that's my view. I have gone without, but only in situations of privacy, or ones when the chances of any exposure are vanishingly small. The only time I can remember was driving back from an all day, ( and very long ) biking event. The reason for that should be obvious if you've ever ridden a hundred miles in a day with inferior bike shorts.

I will also say that I have hardly ever, to the point I don't actually remember when, seen a glimpse of a girl's underwear no matter how short her skirt. And let me tell you, some of them around here wear them VERY short!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I'm not sure if it is that women are more conscious of their exposure than men, or if having a broader pelvis and nothing of mass between the thighs simply makes it natural for them to avoid opening their thighs, but you are correct. I rarely catch a glimpse of their underwear...not that I try to look...but I do often see bra straps, even cups, inadvertently, I suppose, though with some camisole tops and tank tops it seems women have made the decision that showing bra just doesn't matter any more. I guess I'm dating myself, thinking it would.

One thing I do see is skimpier bikini bottoms at the beach on women, and more absurdly long shorts on guys. My wife almost clobbered me for ogling a moment too long at a college girl with a thong type bikini bottom, the rear string of which was totally hidden in a quite lovely derriere. Some may object to that display, but I rather enjoy it. Just don't ask me how I would feel if it was my daughter wearing it...

I've also noticed less consciousness about panty lines with tight fitting "bottoms" on women, and occasionally a woman wearing something tight enough that I would expect to see a panty line, but then don't; clearly thonged or commando, I guess, or a very long shaper underneath.

Sometimes I worry about my own male bulge protruding when I'm skirted, but the way women wear leggings and lycra pants now, with the shape of the mons pubis no longer obscured, and practically emphasized, I have stopped worrying about it. We are built the way we are, and that's just nature. Vive le difference!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

partlyscot wrote:There is a saying, "bike shorts become more ridiculous, the further away from the bike you get." I found myself very self conscious the first time I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work in bike shorts.
The obvious solution - wear a skirt over your bike shorts when you are away from your bike. :wink:
Last edited by crfriend on Mon May 11, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting [CRF]
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
partlyscot wrote:There is a saying, "bike shorts become more ridiculous, the further away from the bike you get." I found myself very self conscious the first time I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work in bike shorts.
The obvious solution - wear a skirt over your bike shorts when you are away from your bike. :wink:
Yes dem bike shorts - the compression padded panties as one of my heckling friends call them.
They serve a serious purpose for those that race bikes and even the padding is useful for casual riding.

Like S-in-SF notes when away from your bike other factors come into play because the public is not used
to seeing males in tight black underwear (that is presuming your color is black - there are other colors) !
There was a recent posting of 5 bikers in bike pants other than black that were needless to say revealing.
Re: The Perceptible Willy

A problem with a skirt of length is what to do with all that material draping here and there about the bike
frame and some it getting scrunched up on the bike saddle. With a short skirt or skort simply place the
excess over the back of the saddle - the front does not have enough to pose a problem - thus everything
is out of the way and no trouble.
This is also presuming that the bike has the male horizontal frame member - not so much a problem with
the drop frame bar (female).
Still yet the rear of the skirt at length has to go somewhere ??? Way too long and into the braking and gearing
works - so shorter is better no matter who rides the bike in a skirt.
In my case when dismounted I have a belly (fanny) bag that can be worn like a spooran with a kilt but the
all around aspects of wearing the bike pants are revealing with colors other than black. I have what is called
a skin suit in royal blue with black and white panel detailing. A skin suit is a one piece t shirt and bike pant
all in one outfit best used in cooler weather otherwise it is one hot devil with little of no ventilation. The same
can be noted for bike pants - limited ventilation cooling - thinner material is preferred but more transparent.

Thus as S-in-SF noted there is the self consciousness of being almost painted naked !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

hairy wrote:Its really that double standard view that partly prompted me to start this. I don't really want to see a girl in a short skirt flashing undies any more than I do a bloke. So how is it a girl can flash but a bloke in a short skirt who shows even the thigh is a no no? It does make it sexist against men wearing a mini. How can girls wear a mini but not blokes? The mini's I want to go out in would be mid thigh length, of light material that flows into any gaps, but wife say's they would be illegal because of length. If nothing's on display then why? Wish I could post pics so I could get feedback.
I agree with the inequality/double standard in male/female fashions - but that is why we are here!

To post pics, create your post text as usual then click on the "Upload Attachment" just below the text page, click the Browse button for the picture you wish (make surs it is less than 250Kb in size) and select open to import it. (the name should now appear beside the Browse button).

Click the "add the file" button, move the curser to the location yoiu wish to add the file then click the "place inline" button and that's it!

Here's one of myself with mini-skirt:-
skirt13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Yes dem bike shorts - the compression padded panties as one of my heckling friends call them.
They serve a serious purpose for those that race bikes and even the padding is useful for casual riding.

Like S-in-SF notes when away from your bike other factors come into play because the public is not used to seeing males in tight black underwear (that is presuming your color is black - there are other colors) !
Compresion padded panties, love it! Yes, most of my shorts are black, though I have a couple in brighter colours. I have one pair that I bought in a fit of madness that are bright red, I have worn that on Canada day with a maple leaf jersey. Side panel colours are less of a problem, as long as the center panel is black.

r.m.anderson wrote:A problem with a skirt of length is what to do with all that material draping here and there about the bike frame and some it getting scrunched up on the bike saddle. With a short skirt or skort simply place the excess over the back of the saddle - the front does not have enough to pose a problem - thus everything is out of the way and no trouble. This is also presuming that the bike has the male horizontal frame member - not so much a problem with the drop frame bar (female). Still yet the rear of the skirt at length has to go somewhere ??? Way too long and into the braking and gearing works - so shorter is better no matter who rides the bike in a skirt. In my case when dismounted I have a belly (fanny) bag that can be worn like a spooran with a kilt but the all around aspects of wearing the bike pants are revealing with colors other than black. I have what is called a skin suit in royal blue with black and white panel detailing. A skin suit is a one piece t shirt and bike pant all in one outfit best used in cooler weather otherwise it is one hot devil with little of no ventilation. The same can be noted for bike pants - limited ventilation cooling - thinner material is preferred but more transparent. Thus as S-in-SF noted there is the self consciousness of being almost painted naked !
With the skirt I described, I have little problem actually riding the bike, though it tends to pull up the thigh. I do not believe anyone can see anything, though it probably gives the impression that you could, or that at any moment it will flip up and expose all. If someone actually wanted to see, I think it would be possible if they were to sit on the curb, while I rode past within less than one lane width away. If it becomes a problem, I will use the method my GF adopts when riding somewhere in a skirt or dress, and pull on a pair of bike liner shorts underneath for the trip. Regarding long skirts, there exists a device called a "skirt-guard" which can be fabric, or plastc sheeting, which is wrapped around the fender ( mudguard ) and secured near the hub. It can also be formed by elastic or rubber strings, fixed between fender and hub. These are common in Denmark and the Netherlands, as is a gentleman using a dropped ( female ) frame, when riding in smart clothing. i.e. suit and long coat, with the same "skirt" guard. This web page has an apparently unending stream of styles. http://www.flickriver.com/groups/dressg ... teresting/

To return to the original subject, I feel that the issue of men in minis is mostly one of perception. It looks startling, thus the initial response is one of "That's so wrong!" The choice I feel belongs to the guy in question, as long as he takes reasonable care that he doesn't actually expose himself. The suggestion that he might, can be part of the appeal in some circumstances.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

dillon wrote:I'm not sure if it is that women are more conscious of their exposure than men, or if having a broader pelvis and nothing of mass between the thighs simply makes it natural for them to avoid opening their thighs, but you are correct. I rarely catch a glimpse of their underwear...not that I try to look...but I do often see bra straps, even cups, inadvertently, I suppose, though with some camisole tops and tank tops it seems women have made the decision that showing bra just doesn't matter any more. I guess I'm dating myself, thinking it would.

One thing I do see is skimpier bikini bottoms at the beach on women, and more absurdly long shorts on guys. My wife almost clobbered me for ogling a moment too long at a college girl with a thong type bikini bottom, the rear string of which was totally hidden in a quite lovely derriere. Some may object to that display, but I rather enjoy it. Just don't ask me how I would feel if it was my daughter wearing it...

I've also noticed less consciousness about panty lines with tight fitting "bottoms" on women, and occasionally a woman wearing something tight enough that I would expect to see a panty line, but then don't; clearly thonged or commando, I guess, or a very long shaper underneath.

Sometimes I worry about my own male bulge protruding when I'm skirted, but the way women wear leggings and lycra pants now, with the shape of the mons pubis no longer obscured, and practically emphasized, I have stopped worrying about it. We are built the way we are, and that's just nature. Vive le difference!
I noticed a woman hiking her tight skirt in order to get into the car. She did not hike it up high enough to be indecent but she was wearing a suspender (garter) belt and stockings which I found very enticing.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

New Image.jpg
I was going to ask if this is too short to be out in public but looking at it now I think I know the answer. This is only 10inches perhaps I should use the 14inch or longer ones.
Had problems with pic size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

New Image.jpg
I'm having problems posting
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

hairy wrote:
New Image.jpg
I was going to ask if this is too short to be out in public but looking at it now I think I know the answer. This is only 10inches perhaps I should use the 14inch or longer ones.
Had problems with pic size.
Yes your digital picture size has the same problem your mini-skirt does ! LOL !

The main problem with a short skirt be it a mini - micro mini or just something in between
is the hind end does not have enough material to cover the butt end of a joke.
More material is required to properly drape over the gm (gluteus maximus) so the hem
line ideally covers the curvature crease of the glutes - thus 2-4 inches more material saves
the exposure factor.
As for going to the 14 inch you would have more coverage for sure and perhaps less passing in public
problems but where you go in public certainly will play the bigger part. Certainly you would not want
to visit #10 Downing - but going to an athletic stadium event you might receive cat calls as to which
side you are playing/rooting for - shrug it off and quaff a brewski and Carry-On !

Your 10 inch mini from the (small) front view appears to be no worse than if they were short shorts.
What is worn as socks (sox) also plays an important part of the outfit - I see the upper portion of
calf high sox in the picture - giving me the picture of an athletic outfit (lacrosse/field hockey)
or school gym outfit.

I like what I see and it looks proportioned to what is pictured - good job.
Is the back of the skirt as flat non-pleated as the front or are there pleats ?
Would like it better with the "Rest of the Paul Harvey Story" the full enchilada of the larger picture.
Need help here ? The forum photo technician Milfmog can offer advice - help - ? Milf you there ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah ha - see that the size of the picture has been corrected and it appears to be a
gym skirt with a sliding tab closing on the left waist band and the rear end has
those adorable micro mini pleats.

Good job - It meets with my approval ! Reason - I have two of those type skirts - 18 inch
one in radical red and the other in the same hue of blue that you have pictured.
Need to shorten mine but the alterations are financially disabling with all those pleats
to continually work around.
Those type of (gym) skirts are one of the main stay school items for you folks in the UK.
Not easily found in the USA. But all those pleats are like a kilt with the back field in motion !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:I was going to ask if this is too short to be out in public but looking at it now I think I know the answer.
Is this the first time you've used photography as an arbiter? I'm a big fan of using objective means, and that includes imagery because that doesn't lie to you the way a mirror can.

The above having been said, I believe you've also come to the conclusion that the aspect-ratio doesn't look particularly flattering. The rig may be comfortable as all get-out, but to this writer's eye, it just seems "off" -- the skirt seems wider than it is tall, and that's a problematic combination especially right near the waist. Girls can carry that off because of their tiny waists; us lot don't have that luxury (nor do most women once they get into their late 20s or early 30s) so we need to adjust the ratio, and usually that means lengthening the thing to get it to look right.

The "classic" "miniskirt rule" is that if the fingertips can touch bare leg under the hem of the skirt then it's a mini; else it's just a short skirt. I find that the best bet is to find a length that works aspect-wise, and then cultivate that look as long as your frame doesn't change what's going on. Don't fret about whether you can "pass" the "mini test"; it's better to have it look believable than to pass an imaginary test.

From the imagery shown, I'd never be able to wear something that short as ol' "One-eye" would be looking around the neighbourhood with a decent extension of neck as advantage. The locals would not approve, nor would I.

When in doubt, use a camera as the arbiter. Those keep us honest.

In short, pay attention to line and ratio, and pick combinations that are pleasing to the eye (as viewed from an unbiased source). They may not wind up being as short as one might like, but if they look good to an onlooker you'll get a better reaction than something that looks, for want of a better word, wrong.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!