Worried that people might take pics of me

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Worried that people might take pics of me

Post by Gordon »

Caultron wrote:I figure that if I'm going to be out in public, the secret is out, so who cares if someone takes a photograph?

Whoever sees the photograph could just as easily have seen me on the street.

That's my thoughts as well. Plus, I just don't care anymore as I live my life as I see fit, not for others.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:I figure that if I'm going to be out in public, the secret is out, so who cares if someone takes a photograph?
The worry here is that one day (if not already) those photographs will be searchable by name (biometric identification of individuals is getting quite good), and "law enforcement" is very interested in magnifying the number of cameras so that individuals in the general public can be tracked (those who've been entrapped in the "corrections" milieu already are). Whether we happen to like it or not, we're living in a panopticon; the pernicious part of this is whether those images and data become available to private individuals (the government having it is bad enough). How'd you like to be looking for a job and your resume lands on a hiring-manager's desk conveniently showing you in your newest mini because the ATS has thoughtfully included it? Even if your resume passed the ATS' filtering mechanism (99+% don't) it'd still likely wind up in the "round file".
Whoever sees the photograph could just as easily have seen me on the street.
But would they notice and be able to put it together later on? In all probability not.

Universal surveillance is only as bad as the individuals doing the surveilling. Recall that we can watch automobile crashes in real-time now, and not so very long ago we watched an airline captain "land" a passenger-jet in the Hudson River -- something that a decade ago would be almost unthinkable. It's all in how that imagery gets used. Do you trust those who are watching you?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...Do you trust those who are watching you?
No, of course not, certainly not 100%.

But I can't stop them, and presumably everyone else (more or less) is in the same boat.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Big Brother is Watching!!!
I think we should all reread George Orwell's book 1984 as well as Animal Farm. You will see many things that we put up with today. I do not think Orwell had the ability or was able to actually see the future but while he was off in the year he was not wrong in the content of either book.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

hairy wrote:I've ordered a kilt, hopefully correct size this time. I really plan on going out and about in it this summer and hopefully my short skirts too. The thing is I like to wear skirts but hate publicity or attention, I wear skirts for me and NOT as a public attraction. I'm a bit concerned that someone and everyone might go using smart phones and sticking pics of me on google etc, almost to the point so going public might become a no no. I'm thinking twice about going out in my kilt now.
Its been along time since I posted this thread and I'd forgot all about it. TBH It don't bother me now, if someone, anyone gets their kicks out of taking my pic I don't much care. I wear my mini skirts a lot in the summer so I'm sure there are a few pics of me.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I used to worry before I got used to being in public - now I don't care. If you go skirted in public then you are really out there including the possibility of being spread over social media. Most would think it is boring now except if one got caught stuck feet up reaching into a chest freezer, where I would happy to share some self deprecating humour.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

See, denimini, you've got your head around the freezer bottom incident already. Next time it'll be a quick scan around to make sure no-one is looking and, if not, head first. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:See, denimini, you've got your head around the freezer bottom incident already. Next time it'll be a quick scan around to make sure no-one is looking and, if not, head first. :lol:
Oh, it is a case of what mood I am in, either not taking chances or just hoping not to get caught out.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

hairy wrote:I've ordered a kilt, hopefully correct size this time. I really plan on going out and about in it this summer and hopefully my short skirts too. The thing is I like to wear skirts but hate publicity or attention, I wear skirts for me and NOT as a public attraction. I'm a bit concerned that someone and everyone might go using smart phones and sticking pics of me on google etc, almost to the point so going public might become a no no. I'm thinking twice about going out in my kilt now.
Not too long ago, I played a gig with a band and wore my black Utilikilt, white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, suntan sheer hose over shaved legs, white socks with black combat boots. Plus... my long hair in a ponytail. I had some time to kill before the gig so I went to my local electronics store and just walked around, looking at stuff. I noticed this guy who was sort of following me. No big deal. When I passed him in opposite directions, I noticed he had his phone in camera mode. We both smiled as we passed and that was the end of it. I'm not sure if he took any pics me and I really don't care. If he did and they end up on the 'Net... so be it. If I was really concerned about it, I wouldn't have worn what I did.

The first time I wore a skirt in public was sort of amusing. I was in a computer store, wearing a khaki skirt, about knee length, a black t-shirt, and sandals. This girl and her boyfriend walk towards me, she looks at me and starts laughing. She says to her boyfriend, "Look. That guy's wearing a skirt!" He looks at me, turns to her and says, "So?" I just smiled and walked on by... :)

--Rick
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kilted Musician wrote:...The first time I wore a skirt in public was sort of amusing. I was in a computer store, wearing a khaki skirt, about knee length, a black t-shirt, and sandals. This girl and her boyfriend walk towards me, she looks at me and starts laughing. She says to her boyfriend, "Look. That guy's wearing a skirt!" He looks at me, turns to her and says, "So?" I just smiled and walked on by...
And so it goes. Rock on!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
robert
Distinguished Member

Post by robert »

I too worry about someone taking my picture and I will end up in the social media and someone who shouldn’t knows sees the picture. I have come to more and more that I don’t care. I know picture will occasionally be taken of me. I can’t let that stopping me from going out.

One time it happened that someone took a picture of me as I was walking around in a national costume on our constitutional day. The dress is like an old dress that was popular in the 18th century and is really beautiful. I felt so great the hole day, and it was a dream come through after seeing this kind of a dress on women for so many years.

I was out enjoying the day. A few days later a friend and colleague called me. She didn’t know about my dressing. A picture of me had ended up on her facebook profile on a friend of hers home page. I told her everything, and she was very accepting. We made a deal that she didn’t tell anyone else. My worst fear ending up opening to an other friend that of course was accepting. After all it had a very positive ending.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I know that I have been "snapped", it p****s me off!
Not the photo, just lack of manners to ask first.
I have scared the c**p out of a guy who was taking photos of a girl on a bus. All I did was tell him that it would be polite to ask!
I have never seen myself reported on any social media sites, but I don't look.
I know, I'm lucky, I don't have a worry about who "knows". I made sure I got there first.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

robert wrote:I was out enjoying the day. A few days later a friend and colleague called me. She didn’t know about my dressing. A picture of me had ended up on her facebook profile on a friend of hers home page. I told her everything, and she was very accepting. We made a deal that she didn’t tell anyone else. My worst fear ending up opening to an other friend that of course was accepting. After all it had a very positive ending.
This is precisely the reason that I advocate for being "all in" with the notion of skirt-wearing or keeping it firmly and securely hidden. Of course I hope for more of the former than the latter, and the reason for that is being "all in" is wonderfully liberating. However, it can be a tough hill to climb, and frequently those closest to you are the heaviest anchors to be moved.

Face it, if everybody knows anybody who threatens to blackmail or even shame you because he spotted you wearing a skirt he won't have a chance. "Don't bother, Stacy. I dress this way at work, and, yes, my wife knows as well.", delivered with a smirk can be wonderful.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

A good way to start wearing kilts or skirts in public would be to visit a state or national park or a nature preserve. Everyone brings a camera but they are more interested in photographing scenery than they are your legs. A good percentage of them are foreign tourists and either are not interested or think of other things to photograph. I have been wearing a skirt and have had tourists ask me to take their picture.

It is a different group of people and seem to be too intelligent to be rude. If anyone is local, they would probably think you are a tourist. It is easy to stay a good distance from other hikers or visitors until you are more comfortable around people with a skirt.

I have never had a rude comment or someone take pictures of me wearing a skirt. In fact, no one even notices. I go to ranger stations, visitor's centers, stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc. wearing a skirt. If you are carrying a camera you will blend in with the scenery.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I always carry a camera with me (no not my cell phone) when some one takes my picture with out asking I take theirs and make sure they see me doing it. I have not had any problems. And since Skirts are about all I wear everyone knows.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.