Worried that people might take pics of me

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Worried that people might take pics of me

Post by ethelthefrog »

A thing to bear in mind is that we don't have any particular privacy laws in the UK. If you're out in public and someone takes a picture of you, then that's just what happens. The copyright on the image rests with the person who pressed the button and you have no recourse.

Given what you describe of your situation, it may be best to put some distance between you and your house before you get your legs out, which is a pity, but sometimes you have to do things in a certain way to maintain your personal safety.

That said, changing into/out of a skirt is really easy to do, even in a car. The lack of inseam makes everything simply slide on and slide off.

Be well,

Paul
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

ethelthefrog wrote:A thing to bear in mind is that we don't have any particular privacy laws in the UK. If you're out in public and someone takes a picture of you, then that's just what happens. The copyright on the image rests with the person who pressed the button and you have no recourse.

Be well,

Paul
That is consistent with the US.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I totally agree with pelmut. A denim skirt just 'blends in'.

Now, if anyone wants to take a picture of me, they'ld need
a very W I D E angle lens or they might break their camera :twisted:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ethelthefrog wrote:Given what you describe of your situation, it may be best to put some distance between you and your house before you get your legs out, which is a pity, but sometimes you have to do things in a certain way to maintain your personal safety.
One of the reasons I firmly espouse openness and honesty about skirt-wearing is that by doing so there can be no backlash or blackmail about the matter. If everybody around you knows that you wear skirts -- and remain a decent bloke -- then they will not be surprised to see a photo of you online, and might actually get a bit peeved upon seeing all the inevitable juvenile comments associated with it.

It is not illegal for a guy to wear a skirt -- at least in any jurisdiction in any advanced (or which call themselves "advanced") country of which I am aware. We're not talking treason here. It's a style choice, pure and simple, and part of being "man enough" to be different is the ability to hold one's ground on the matter and not give in -- or up -- at the first whiff of trouble.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Since I started going out and about in a skirt on a regular basis, I am only aware of being "snapped" on 3 or 4 occasions.
To the best of my knowledge, none have found their way to the web.
I guess I'm just not interesting or photogenic enough.
Just once, I thought I had been, and quipped, "I hope you caught my best side". It turned out the photographer was a professional, taking shots of traffic in the street behind me. Traffic in local paper 3-Steve in a skirt nil.
Carl's right, if you're uncomfortable being seen, don't go out until you're ready. Make sure that anyone you care about knowing, knows. The rest will follow in due course.
I live in a small town and I've still been surprised when I meet aquaintances, to be told, "oh yes, I've seen you in a skirt already".
That's generally the end of the skirt as a topic and we move onto the small talk of everday lives.
Steve.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

pelmut wrote: If my experience is anything to go by, a knee-length (or longer) plain denim skirt attracts a lot less attention than a kilt.
Or anything around the knee that's plain colored. Doesn't have to be denim to be under the radar.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Kilted_John wrote:
pelmut wrote: If my experience is anything to go by, a knee-length (or longer) plain denim skirt attracts a lot less attention than a kilt.
Or anything around the knee that's plain colored. Doesn't have to be denim to be under the radar.

-J
^^This^^ That's what I wore for my 6 day vacation around Vancouver. Nobody appeared to even see it as anything but shorts.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

What I wore today to visit a neighbouring town in the morning and then the local supermarket and post office in the afternoon, and nobody seemed to notice.
I posted this pic on Facebook a few hours ago and have over 40 likes and several supportive comments already.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That'd be your famous paisley kilt. Well done! It is a smashing good look!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I remember someone taking a pic of me in Vegas, while I was walking out of the hotel lobby. I guess some people will shoot photos, it's so fast and easy these days...and then of course share it some social media LOL
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Outstanding look!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

In this era of camera equipped smartphones, it stands to reason that we've all been snapped while in public, whether we know it or not. I'm sure I probably have, but I don't worry about it.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

I was walking in the woods recently and saw an odd contraption strapped to a tree. Sure enough, a hunter's game camera probably got a great set of photos of me walking up the trail in an ankle length skirt. There is no such thing as privacy anymore in the digital photo era.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Something else to take into consideration. Most cities and towns have cameras atop lamp posts and fixed on buildings taking pictures all the time. Ditto for stores (large and small), shopping malls, transportation centers, train stations, street corners, you name it, there's probably a camera attached somewhere snapping pictures and recording video. Unless you live in a complete and primative backwater, you're already being photographed, whether you like it not, whether you know it or not.
Last edited by JeffB1959 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I figure that if I'm going to be out in public, the secret is out, so who cares if someone takes a photograph?

Whoever sees the photograph could just as easily have seen me on the street.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron