Skirts at work

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirts at work

Post by crfriend »

DonaldG wrote:I am happy to wear trousers sometimes, especially during the current cold weather (-10degrees C at night, -5 by day).
Something that doesn't immediately make a lot of sense to folks is that skirts can be as warm as -- or even warmer than -- trousers in cold weather. It depends on the fabric the skirt is made from and what's worn under.

If one can keep dry, and can break the wind (No, not that "break wind"!), a skirt functions in much the same way as a pair of mittens as compared to gloves. With both legs in one protected environment they'll tend to be warmer than if they're in separate close-fitting tubes. With a decent nylon slip, a pair of moderately heavy opaque tights, and my fleece calf-length skirt I've been out in temperatures of -10 (F) and have been perfectly comfortable below -- all the while my arms, hands, and head were freezing even though being covered and protected.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

crfriend wrote:Of note, one thing that Skirt Café does not advocate is the rejection of trousers on guys.
I don't see any posts indicating rejection of trousers for men on this forum especially the one I was replying to.

Trousers have a role & place for both genders - as too skirts. The frequency, where and why an individual wears trousers or skirts is down to that individual and not others beliefs or ethos. It's like the subsequent posts on this thread and before this post about trousers or skirts in cold weather. It's personal preference at the end of the day. I personally find a winter skirt with tights much warmer than trousers, the science speaks for itself - multi-thin layers trapping multi-layers of air under one confined canopy = warmth. It's the basis of super warm coats yet very thin. I also know women who say they are much warmer in trousers and thick socks. Having said that, as cold as the day is, if the task in hand for me on a cold winters day is more practical in trousers, trousers it is.

The ethos of this forum advocating skirts, kilts along side trousers for men is very clear. Having the
crfriend wrote:Yes, that's right; we want the best of both worlds. The more who are willing to grab at that notion the better! We are worth it. And worthy of it.
is also quite acceptable. It is what the female gender pushed for and achieved and well done for them. For me, their success is as a collective!
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Kingussie

Post by Kingussie »

I've worn one of my kilts to work on a number of occasions including my last day on the job. When one woman heard that the company and I were going to be parting ways, she remarked about how she was going to miss seeing me smoking a pipe and wearing my kilt.

Kingussie
Kingussie
--------------
Why should the ladies have all the fun?
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Last week I hired a van to go and pickup a motorcycle, as I normally do when travelling, I wore my long denim cargo skirt from Midas (R.I.P.). All well and good and to my surprise I had a chat with a lass who used to work where I work.
Yesterday, my Boss had heard of this and much mirth and merriment was had in my workplace. So my "secret" is well and truly out now.
There were quite a few questions, i.e. "Were you really wearing a skirt, why? was it a kilt? a dress? why? " etc.
No comments today, I am interested to see if that was it or if my skirt wearing is going to be an ongoing theme from now on.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Im sure you would rather revealed that info on your own schedule and in your own way, if at all. But how does it now feel? And how do you think it may change the relationship with your coworkers, or your work environment?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Big and Bashful wrote:Last week I hired a van to go and pickup a motorcycle, as I normally do when travelling, I wore my long denim cargo skirt from Midas (R.I.P.). All well and good and to my surprise I had a chat with a lass who used to work where I work.
Yesterday, my Boss had heard of this and much mirth and merriment was had in my workplace. So my "secret" is well and truly out now.
There were quite a few questions, i.e. "Were you really wearing a skirt, why? was it a kilt? a dress? why? " etc.
No comments today, I am interested to see if that was it or if my skirt wearing is going to be an ongoing theme from now on.
I'd say that's like swallowing a BIG pill....

You're glad you didn't choke, but you will feel the stupid thing in your esophagus for the rest of the day!

Every time I hear my co-workers talk politics about this or that... and they get on the subjects of subcultures, LGBT issues, etc... I always feel a little smaller, and I almost dread the day it's outed. It probably won't cause anything major, like job loss, or even general shunning, but I don't think I'll remain just "one of the guys" after the cats out of the bag.

Kinda sad really.

Then again, there's always the possibility that they already know! They just really don't care and thus are not saying anything. After all, I have worn them around store managers and others, and you know how word gets around anyway.

Lots of luck to you B&B, here's hoping the news will be liberating for you!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Yes it's a funny one, I haven't been advertising my skirt wearing around the area where I live, but several times have walked right through the neighbourhood while skirted as well as going out to my boat and back skirted. I regularly go shopping in and around Glasgow skirted, so sooner or later I knew someone would see me or word would get back. I am glad it now has. After a bit of a 'ribbing' on that first day, yesterday was a completely normal day so I don't think there will be any great change. It would probably be different if I turned up to work in a skirt.
Yes there is a sense of relief that there is no longer a "secret" being kept, although I never got too stressed about it, the first time one of my direct workmates sees me in a skirt should now be slightly less traumatic, for me anyway!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Big and Bashful wrote:...After a bit of a 'ribbing' on that first day, yesterday was a completely normal day so I don't think there will be any great change...
Good for you! Just keep up your confidence, have fun, and take each encounter as it comes!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Big and Bashful wrote:...my "secret" is well and truly out now.
Even more interesting will be seeing how many others are encouraged by your example to try wearing a skirt themselves. There may be others willing to try it when they see how comfortable you are - or they may have always wanted to try it and feel that they can, now you have given them 'permission'.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Yes there is a sense of relief that there is no longer a "secret" being kept, although I never got too stressed about it, the first time one of my direct workmates sees me in a skirt should now be slightly less traumatic, for me anyway!
There is much benefit to being in the bright light of day, not least of which is that one needn't feel stigma or fright over what is, after all, an entirely harmless endeavour. With it out in the open, one cannot be held to blackmail, and one can defend one's choice in a calm rational manner; if a "secret", one opens one's self to extra needless problems. In your heart of hearts, if you truly felt that you could not express yourself somewhere, why would you choose to live there?

If there's a stink from this, and I don't see there being one, it can be dealt with openly -- something that wasn't possible a few days ago.

Good on ya, B&B!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

pelmut wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:...my "secret" is well and truly out now.
Even more interesting will be seeing how many others are encouraged by your example to try wearing a skirt themselves. There may be others willing to try it when they see how comfortable you are - or they may have always wanted to try it and feel that they can, now you have given them 'permission'.
Pelmut, I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever, this is central Scotland, not everyone but manyone (new word?) wear kilts for weddings, Burns nights, rugby etc. so they already know what a heavy woollen knee length skirt feels like. To some extent that helped me to start experimenting, i.e. what if a kilt wasn't so heavy and unweildy and had pockets and had less material so that it didn't fly as much in the wind and covered the knees and...and...etc. Closely followed by "I like skirts". It doesn't seem to have changed the behaviour of many others.
I was surprised fairly recently when I drove passed (brainfade, should that be past? I'm getting senile!) a friends house and paused to pick some keys off him, he saw my skirt and asked what I was wearing, the same long denim cargo skirt. I said so, he said he wore something similar but only in his house. So maybe there are more shy but skirted men out there!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Big and Bashful wrote:... I was surprised fairly recently when I drove passed (brainfade, should that be past? I'm getting senile!) a friends house and paused to pick some keys off him, he saw my skirt and asked what I was wearing, the same long denim cargo skirt. I said so, he said he wore something similar but only in his house. So maybe there are more shy but skirted men out there!
There must be many more men like that - I recall another post some time ago that the wife of one fellow here was talking to another woman and she confirmed that her husband wears skirts (minis?) and glossy tights in the house... 8) :shock:

Perhaps your confidence will convince the other fellow to get past the front door in a skirt sometime. :D

Sadly as you all know, that is the LAST place I will be able to wear a skirt - at home! :(
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Big and Bashful wrote:...I was surprised fairly recently when I drove passed (brainfade, should that be past? I'm getting senile!) a friends house and paused to pick some keys off him, he saw my skirt and asked what I was wearing, the same long denim cargo skirt. I said so, he said he wore something similar but only in his house. So maybe there are more shy but skirted men out there!
Occasionally someone will ask why I'm wearing a skirt or kilt, and I usually give them one of several short answers, but then I add, "You should try it!"

Thus usually induces a moment of confusion, and then a frown, and then a certain easing up. At the very least, it reverses the situation and puts them on the defensive. But occasionally, the answer is, "I do," and then I suggest they do it more often.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

skirtingtoday wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:... I was surprised fairly recently when I drove passed (brainfade, should that be past? I'm getting senile!) a friends house and paused to pick some keys off him, he saw my skirt and asked what I was wearing, the same long denim cargo skirt. I said so, he said he wore something similar but only in his house. So maybe there are more shy but skirted men out there!
There must be many more men like that - I recall another post some time ago that the wife of one fellow here was talking to another woman and she confirmed that her husband wears skirts (minis?) and glossy tights in the house... 8) :shock:

Perhaps your confidence will convince the other fellow to get past the front door in a skirt sometime. :D

Sadly as you all know, that is the LAST place I will be able to wear a skirt - at home! :(
I've had about 4 or 5 conversations with ladies like that over the last few months. "fred here wears them sometimes, would like to do it more often but can't find anything suitable" that one after asking where I got my "kilt" Another one said something like "that would be perfect for my husband, he likes to wear skirts" Variations on those themes.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Considering that there is absolutely nothing comfortable or relaxing about modern-day trousers and jeans, it is hard to believe that men wear them where there is no need to, in private, at home, especially in hot weather.
I have always been convinced that men invented air-conditioning solely to be able to go on wearing the inappropriate tight, heavy, formal clothes that they had worn before invading the tropical areas of the globe. Think of Victorian Brits in woolen suits in India.
Rather than trying to change the climate to suit my clothes, I dress -- or undress -- to suit the ambient temperature.
Martin