Skirtcraft - New Photos and Survey

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft - New Photos and Survey

Post by skirtyscot »

janrok wrote: BTW lovely city, Kobenhavn, and I got many thumbs up when I walked Nyhavn in a jeans skirt 20 years ago.

Jan.
Mrs SS and I are going to Copenhagen next week, and I will see if I can treat the locals to a repeat of that. It would be nice to get a thumbs up for my skirt!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

partlyscot wrote:I like the style, but I find it difficult to justify paying that much for a skirt. Maybe I'm a cheapskate. ( OK, OK, I am a cheapskate ) My most frequently worn skirts look very similar, simple, practical, good looking without trying to be too exhibitionist. Just right for a casual work environment.
It looks good, for sure, but I too am a cheapskate; furthermore, now that my daughter has moved a bit of her stuff out, I just took some of her closet space for suits and stuff I seldom need. My own average sized closet is at least half filled with my skirts now! I have to say STOP!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Jan, thanks for the compliments. I hope the response to this is that positive!

The skirts we used for the photo shoot were from our size set, which is a mix of black and cornhusk colors. The samples that fit the models just both happened to be black.

There will be an email update this weekend, and one topic will be colors. The factory's minimums are per color, so we will begin the Kickstarter with black only, in order to have the highest likelihood of reaching the minimum and having a successful project. If and when we get enough backers, we will begin adding colors, starting with khaki and then charcoal. I really hope to have at least two colors. Backers wanting skirts of multiple colors will be able to up their pledge to add another skirt when a color is added, if they like.
ShayneM.88

Post by ShayneM.88 »

What is the length of the skirt going to be?
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ShayneM.88 wrote:What is the length of the skirt going to be?
It's 22.5 inches (57 cm) long, measured on the side, from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the hem.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

finrod wrote: It's 22.5 inches (57 cm) long, measured on the side, from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the hem.
For someone short like me, that's mid-calf. As people come in different sizes, options would sure be nice.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Jim wrote:
finrod wrote: It's 22.5 inches (57 cm) long, measured on the side, from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the hem.
For someone short like me, that's mid-calf. As people come in different sizes, options would sure be nice.
I agree, Jim. I do plan to have a shorter length, but unfortunately it's a challenge to do so initially. There are practical issues with having a large number of sizes with a potentially small production run - there are per-size minimums and ratios between sizes that have to be considered. Adding a second length would increase the number of sizes from 8 to 16.

During the Kickstarter, I'll consider adding a shorter option if I get a lot of requests for it. To some degree, this will have to be balanced against adding colors.

I should have mentioned, in the photos the man is 5'11" and the woman is 5'7".
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Ah well that's me out then, I will have to check but I am pretty sure the knee length skirts I am comfortable with are 24". 22" is a little short for me sitting down and I wouldn't go shorter than that for general use. As I said, I must measure a few of mine to see what sort of length works for me.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Big and Bashful wrote:Ah well that's me out then, I will have to check but I am pretty sure the knee length skirts I am comfortable with are 24". 22" is a little short for me sitting down and I wouldn't go shorter than that for general use. As I said, I must measure a few of mine to see what sort of length works for me.
Shoot, that's too bad! I hope it works out after all, but thank you for the feedback.

Just to clarify, 22.5" is the final length, after the skirt shrinks slightly in the first 1-2 washings. It shrinks 3-5% (both waist and length), so it would arrive with a length more like 23.5". I'm not sure if skirt brands typically use the post-shrink length in their size listings, but this could be another factor to consider when comparing.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Far easier to shorten a plain skirt such as Finrod's that a pleated kilt, so many of which are being sold at 24 inches, which is far too long for me, and impossible to shorten.

Just remember, if you do try shortening a skirt to avoid the stupid mistake I made. I had a full-length wrap-skirt, that I never wore, so I measured very carefully the length I wanted waist-to-knee. I drew a line, allowed for a hem, and started cutting. Only afterwards did I realize that top-to-knee is not the same as lower hem-to-knee, and found myself with a mini.
:oops:
Martin
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

It will be more difficult to shorten an Finrod-skirt then you think, Martin, before you know it you cut right through the side-pockets.....

Jan.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

Jan is correct: if you shorten the skirt you will have to deal with the side pockets. They stop just 1-2 inches above the hem. The reason they don't run right through to the hem is that that would add weight and rigidity to that portion of the hemline.

So if you do shorten the skirt, you'll have two options I can think of:

- Just trim the bottom of the skirt all the way around, and roll the pocket fabric right into the hem (i.e. do nothing special). This will be very easy, but you may notice the issue mentioned above. If I recall correctly from when I tried it, it's not hugely noticeable.

- Trim the lower end of the pocket layers, cut that portion of them away from the primary seams to which they're anchored, and sew the bottom of the pocket shut again. This is pretty easy, too. But it's still not a perfect solution, because the extreme edges of the pocket layers will be left behind in the seams on either side, adding a little bit of weight where those seams meet the hem. I haven't tried this, so I can't say how noticeable it would be (if at all).
ShayneM.88

Post by ShayneM.88 »

Is tomorrow still the big day? :)
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

ShayneM.88 wrote:Is tomorrow still the big day? :)
It sure is. :D I'll post the info here when the campaign goes live.
StraightSkirt

Post by StraightSkirt »

Yes - Here is the email from his mailing list

On Monday, July 20, 2015, Skirtcraft <joe@skirtcraft.com> wrote:
The Unaligned Skirt
Hello Skirtcraft supporters,

Tomorrow (Tuesday), or today depending on your location, is the day when you can finally pre-order a Skirtcraft skirt. Besides being the only way to get a skirt in the near future, backing the Kickstarter project will help ensure we reach our goal amount and are able to make the skirts in the first place.

Here are the details:

Our Kickstarter campaign will launch at 11:00 a.m. Central US time (5:00 p.m. UTC) on Tuesday.
Upon setting the project live, I'll immediately send an announcement to this email group. I consider you to be the core supporters of the project, so I want you to have the best chance at claiming the special early-backer reward if you're interested.
When you visit the Kickstarter page, you'll find a video about the project, along with a great deal of images and information, much of which I've already shared with you.
If you'd like to receive one of the first skirts that will be made, as well as to help us meet our project funding goal, click the green Back This Project button.
From there, you'll be able to select one of four reward levels. You'll notice that there are two reward levels for which you can receive a skirt. They're both $69 US (plus shipping).
The first of the skirt reward levels is the special one for early backers. It's limited to 30 people. If you choose this reward level, your initials (or any pair of letters you like) will be listed in a special section on the tag of every skirt we make in this first production run. As shown here.
The second skirt reward level is exactly the same except there's no limit, and no special recognition. If you're not interested in the "initials on the tag" thing, please select this one.
You'll then be prompted to select the country to which your rewards will be shipped, for purposes of determining the shipping cost which will be added to your pledge amount. The shipping charges will be listed there, and they are $9 (US), $12 (Canada), or $18 (everywhere else).
On the same page, you'll confirm your pledge amount. It will be $69 by default, but you can choose to pledge a higher amount if you like. If you'd like the fridge magnet (which is otherwise the reward for the $10 backing level), add $10.
You'll then be prompted to create a Kickstarter account, or sign in if you have one already. You will need to enter your credit card info at some point along the way.
No charge will be made to your credit card until the project ends in 30 days, and even then you will only be charged if we reach our project's overall funding goal of $11,500.
If you have questions about Kickstarter in general, you may find their Backer Questions page helpful. Otherwise, feel free to email me at joe@skirtcraft.com with questions, too.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your interest, feedback, and support over the past many months. It's thrilling to have reached this point, but the next 30 days will be the test.

Best,
Joe

skirtcraft.com
facebook.com/skirtcraft
twitter.com/skirtcraft
skirtcraft.tumblr.com

You are receiving this email because you requested updates on Skirtcraft products.

Skirtcraft LLC
PO Box 17062
Minneapolis, MN 55417

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp