Skort, not the best choice

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Skort, not the best choice

Post by RichardA »

I'm buying one of these soon, it's a recumbent trike if you have never seen one, and with the “legs up position” shorts would be the only option and I didn't want to do “penny in your pants” (a thread some time ago) but I thought of a skort, not the best choice, but I think it will work.
Link to skort
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-900- ... 98790.html#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skort, not the best choice

Post by melsav »

Yes I agree, a skirt is not an option on the trike. Looking good in your skirt and top in the second picture :D
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Most definitely a skort and certainly not a skirt or a kilt !
With all the cycling machinery between the legs good idea to have something under the outer apron to prevent back splatter of water or oil and whatever
slings and pains of outrageous fortune comes ones way !

That recumbent bike sure has some HEAVY DUTY tires on it - milady is going to have a workout rolling that resistance around !
I had thought for a moment that it had supplemental power by a electric or gasoline power engine.
But the black saddle bags are not supplemental power but just that saddle bags perhaps holding suitable skirts or kilts to change into after riding !

And Richard you look very cool and comfortable !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

I never could understand the purpose of the "skort" - all the discomfort of shorts, with an added layer of fabric, possibly further reducing comfort (adding insulation), apparently just for looks? I suppose it is for someone who wants the appearance of a skirt but the "security" (guaranteed coverage) of shorts.

For riding a recumbent bike like that, I'd probably just go with shorts, as the most practical choice. I think a skirt of any kind (including the skirt component of the skort) would just be asking for trouble. Unless you were to keep it somehow strapped down, it runs the risk of getting caught in the machinery, damaging the garment and possibly much worse. There is also the possibility, if you are going fast enough and/or get a decent headwind, of the garment lifting up and blocking your vision - which could result in disaster.

As for the bike, I've seen two-wheel recumbents, as well as recumbent trikes with the two wheels behind - never 3-wheeled with two in front.Looks pretty cool! Have you a link to it?
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

MrNaturalAZ wrote:
As for the bike, I've seen two-wheel recumbents, as well as recumbent trikes with the two wheels behind - never 3-wheeled with two in front.Looks pretty cool! Have you a link to it?
http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/
I'm thinking of getting the Cobra
more trikes here
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

MrNaturalAZ wrote:I never could understand the purpose of the "skort" - all the discomfort of shorts, with an added layer of fabric, possibly further reducing comfort (adding insulation), apparently just for looks? I suppose it is for someone who wants the appearance of a skirt but the "security" (guaranteed coverage) of shorts.
For riding a recumbent bike like that, I'd probably just go with shorts, as the most practical choice. I think a skirt of any kind (including the skirt component of the skort) would just be asking for trouble. Unless you were to keep it somehow strapped down, it runs the risk of getting caught in the machinery, damaging the garment and possibly much worse. There is also the possibility, if you are going fast enough and/or get a decent headwind, of the garment lifting up and blocking your vision - which could result in disaster.
Me thinks you have the wrong idea or impression of what a skort is. Well for one thing they are not hem length at the knees but more at mid thigh and most are
12-15 inch length {think mini-skirt(skort)} and designed for athletic use (tennis & golf etc.). Do a search on ebay and frequently the search will reference more than
40k of this type of clothing. So there would not be much if any to entangle with the gearing machinery of this recumbent bike and certainly no apron of any length to
obscure vision. So a skort is nothing more than short shorts with an skirted apron over the front and back of the garment.
The hem length of the outer apron is perhaps not much more than the inside shorts. And until you try wearing one you don't know what you are missing in comfort yet
revealing a passion for wearing a liberating skirted garment.
I have quite a few of these liberating skorts and unlike open bottom skirts of any length with the internal shorts there is no danger of "I see London;
I see France; I see underpants" or anything else for that matter if going sans kilt style. The skort does not need to be strapped down or need a penny in the pants.
The skort generally fits somewhat like a pencil skirt over shorts - nothing exaggerated to flap in the breeze.

But alas my point of sales will not convince everyone to try and wear one but don't judge the skort until you have had a test ride in one. The skort comes in as wide a
selection of colors and style as do skirts. One manufacturer; Nike, does a great job of matching skirts - skorts - and shorts to go with the tops - shirts and blouses.

So to each his own and the devil for us all !

Personal Photo attached for reference - - -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

A simpler answer is that proposed by my GF . When she rides somewhere on her bike, while wearing a skirt, she uses bike shorts under. On arrival, she uses the bathroom to change to conventional underwear.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH bought me from a charity shop a mini skirt with what I can only describe as built-in knickers in the same material ( think red elastaine type ) and these would be ideal for your purpose if you can find any. The skirt is short being only about 13 or 14 inches long but it is really, really comfortable. I have worn it several times - it beats wearing underwear with the skirt and if the skirt lifts up it isn't so noticeable.

I believe that the original skorts didn't have an apron at the back - the idea being that they looked like a skirt from the front and shorts from the back, hence the name.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I just looked at my one and only skort. It was one of my earlier skirted type garments purchased seven years ago. It is basically a 12" slightly flared shirt with a pair of shorts in the same fabric sewn to a common waistband.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote:MOH bought me from a charity shop a mini skirt with what I can only describe as built-in knickers in the same material ( think red elastaine type ) and these would be ideal for your purpose if you can find any. The skirt is short being only about 13 or 14 inches long but it is really, really comfortable. I have worn it several times - it beats wearing underwear with the skirt and if the skirt lifts up it isn't so noticeable.
I believe that the original skorts didn't have an apron at the back - the idea being that they looked like a skirt from the front and shorts from the back, hence the name.
Partially true - in that the skort was designed for young kids (girls) to wear as playground wear and were called 'Scooters' with a apron in front and the typical
bifurcated legs shorts in the back. How women (misses) picked up and developed the fashionable apron covering in the back in unknown other than someone in the
fashion industry must have thought the design to be cute and expounded further on it for athletic wear (tennis-golf related activities).
Nike; Adidas are the big names in the line of wear. Browsing ebay 'search' "SKORT" results in some 40k hits on this. All sizes from youth juniors misses and womens
and of course you did not expect to find one labeled for men did you ? The Hem Length varies from just below the knee to the ever more popular mini-skirt length
about mid thigh (12-16inches). The interior panty is just that a panty brief or more commonly with the Nike brand a compression short. The color combinations can
be quite striking with color block panels emphasizing curves and waist lines.
The skort is perfect in that one does not have to worry about the exposure index unlike wearing a skirt of the same length where seeing London or France can be
quite an event if wearing an undergarment or sans altogether which results into getting the natives restless !
When riding a bicycle or motorcycle or even seated in a car the internal panty keeps everything in place without worry - so what if the apron front or back blows up
"Nothing to see here folks - these are not the droids you are looking for" and panty does not look like a panty or knickers but a body conforming tight of sorts.

AND YMMV and these are as noted by comments/posts here in the forum not for everyone - but I like them and am sold on them !
One comment for those interested in the skort "Try before you Buy" often times the area up from the crotch does not leave adequate room for the male plumbing.
Or put another way check the RISE to make sure there is enough coverage - You don't have to have the waist at kilt belly button but you don't want LOW RISE with
the skort falling off - difficult because of the internal shorts but not an attractive fit.

But hey what do I know I am just an 800 pound gorilla in PINK skorted tutu !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Got this add sent to me courtesy of Google, the only ones who snoop on us more than the NSA! Regardless, the company had an interesting skort. It costs too much for me, but I did like the look and definitely see the utility of it.

http://www.betabrand.com/womens-yoga-sp ... skirt.html
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

No, I don't see the point, if you want to wear shorts under your skirt, wear shorts under your skirt. I don't see the difference, I would also need to lose a lot of weight and chisel a fair amount off my pelvis before I could get one of those on!

Still, each to their own! If you had a skort why would you even think of donning shorts as well as a skirt? the argument works both ways!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Why would you be embarrassed to reveal your underwear beneath your skirt but not the built-in underparts of your skort? Just because it is part of an outer garment, does that make it OK to flash it to the world when you do a cartwheel?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I am not at all embarrassed to expose my underwear beneath a skirt, should it happen inadvertently...because I WEAR UNDERWEAR! Going commando would be another matter, but my style of undies are both conservative and stylish. Yes, I prefer skirts to skorts, but I do own a few skorts, mostly workout/athletic/swimwear, and I did find that one attractive and functional. To me there is no qualitative difference between form-fitting underwear whether attached to the garment or worn as a seperate item...as long as it is there. I thought the discreet key/card pocket in the undie of that skort was a nice feature.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Deleted
Last edited by Kilty on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.