RIP Jack Williams

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coelacanth

RIP Jack Williams

Post by Coelacanth »

Jack Williams aka Murray Dick passed away suddenly early last week. A true character and unique individual, I know Murray drew a great deal of inspiration from all on this site. Glad he found your community. I have no doubt he will be making his final voyage in one of his custom numbers, a skirt man to the end.

RIP my old mate. Godspeed.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: RIP Jack Williams

Post by crfriend »

Oh, my, that was sudden -- and entirely unexpected. Thanks for the news, albeit sad.

My heart goes out to his family and mates.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Sad that Jack has passed on. He lived life to the full and was a shining example to us all.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

"a skirt man to the end"
Probably more accurate to say he was "a dress man to the end". He made dresses that were clearly male items of clothing.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

http://notices.nzherald.co.nz/obituarie ... =171791773
DICK, Murray James Suddenly on 15th July 2014 at home. Dearly loved son of the late Tom and Edna. Brother and brother in law of Graham and Margaret. Ecofan Sound Designer. A celebration of Murray's life will be held at the Central Park Chapel of Davis Funerals, 150 Central Park Drive, Henderson on Wednesday 23rd July 2014 at 1.30pm
Currently, the Guest Book for Murray James DICK is available for viewing, but not accepting entries until Tuesday, 22 July 2014.

Published in The New Zealand Herald on July 21, 2014
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I have only been on Skirtcafe a short time, but from what Say he was a man that lived life to the fullest he will be missed.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

This is a shock :(
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Thank you, Coelacanth, for letting us know about Jack.

He was one of the first men on this forum that promoted dresses for men.
His technical knowledge and background was quite extensive. His creations
will last for many years as a tribute to his expertise.

He loved music and thoroughly enjoyed the WOMAD festivals.

He will be missed :cry:

R.I.P. my friend :( :blue: :(

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
P.S.-I've signed the Guest Book on the website.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jack was somebody I would have loved to meet in person, he certainly seemed to live life to the full. He will certainly be missed, not least here in the cafe. Commiserations to all his family and friends.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sincerest commiserations to his family.
So unexpected, the world will be a duller place without him.
Steve.
Coelacanth

Post by Coelacanth »

pleated wrote:"a skirt man to the end"
Probably more accurate to say he was "a dress man to the end". He made dresses that were clearly male items of clothing.
Indeed you are correct, and my lack of even basic understanding of sartorial nomenclature is rendered evident to all :-)

In his later years, it became increasingly difficult to engage Murray on anything other than his passion for the aquisition, modification and sporting of dressware. Such was his enthusiasm, that it was impossible for even the staunchly conservative to ignore what amounted to a sales pitch for "letting it swing". Who knows? There may come a time for even I to learn more...

For now, my connection to such things will be farwelled tomorrow, and sadly I will not make the date.

Again, Godspeed to you Murray - Beatnik, traveller, mad scientist, music man, deep thinker, questioner, bourbon lover and chillum smoker. We'll go no more a-roving, so late into the night....
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very sad news indeed. I find it difficult to believe that Jack is gone and his column 'Jack Track' will be no more. An eccentric loner, for sure, but a great contributor to this forum.

His lively comments on practically everything and his very fine photos were always entertaining. I certainly would love to have met him in person, but that will never be, now. Having actively posted right up to the end, like 'Skip' Frazer, I expect he had no notion that the Grim Reaper was waiting in the wings.

May he rest in peace.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

His passing is a big loss to this forum and, no doubt, to all who knew him. Here was a man who enjoyed life. May we all be able to do the same.

As for not knowing when death is coming, isn't that for the best?

RIP Jack / Murray.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Sad to hear Jack / Murray has passed. I always enjoyed his contributions to the forum.

RIP
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've been trying to deal with this for most of the day, which unfortunately was interrupted by work.

"Jack" was one of those rare folks with a keen grasp of not just the technical side of things but also the aesthetic side; he worked that not just into his electronic designs but also into the very fabric of his being. It's hard to think he's gone now as he had such a joie-de-vivre to him -- this was a bloke who loved life and was after everything out of it right to the very last.

As SkirtyScot mentions, sometimes it's best that we not know when the reaper is waiting in the wings. I can't imagine that Murray saw him, and if he did I hope he flipped him the bird just before the end.

Go peacefully, Murray, you are remembered; let that be known. We'll keep the filaments warm for you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!