RIP Jack Williams

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: RIP Jack Williams

Post by john62 »

Jack certainly inspired many, there are very few such people left in this world like Jack, may he rest in peace.

John
Max Caswell

Post by Max Caswell »

New here and didn't get to know Jack, sounds like he left a space empty when he passed. My prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.
Hello all from the highlands of the San Luis Valley, Colorado
JPatrickM

Post by JPatrickM »

He will be missed.

Patrick
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

Max Caswell wrote:New here and didn't get to know Jack, sounds like he left a space empty when he passed. My prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.
I'm also fairly new to the Cafe and didn't know him other than reading an occasional older post. I've been browsing through his Flickr gallery full of wonderful photos taken by and of him, including some neat vintage electronics. I think I would have liked to have known him.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Wow... RIP.

He seemed to be a pretty good guy, even though there were times when he sometimes would say something that might be a little caustic at times, but, never thought he'd pass away so soon.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

That is sad news, indeed. He was a "ball o' fire" and a faithful correspondent. I shall miss him.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Coelacanth

Post by Coelacanth »

An update for all those who have expressed their condolences... Murray died of heart failure age 75.

I just got off the phone with his brother. The service was held yesterday - a very casual affair that would have been to Murray's liking. Many aspects of his life were included in the proceedings and Murray wore his everpresent leather sandles and hat - plus a two piece number that was his fave at the time of his passing.

Iam so grateful he has left us in the way he did - age would have eventually robbed him of even a little independence - unacceptable to man who steered his own ship, to the beat of his own drum, on his very own path. Peace out, old mate.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Thanks for the update, Coelacanth. That answered a couple of questions it wouldn't have been quite proper to ask.

Indeed it's a blessing to "go quickly" in the modern realm where we suffer endless degradation of dignity whilst in the process of what's now a very drawn-out slog of dying. Yes, better to get it over with quickly whilst we're still in control instead of "passing after a long battle with {something terminal}". We -- every last one of us -- will die sometime; it seems that as a society we try to reject that notion instead of embracing it as part of the natural cycle.

Jack/Murray is already missed; the place seems quieter in his absence. I'm just glad that the process wasn't drawn out over months or years and was gotten over with quickly. Our legacy is how we're remembered; Jack/Murray will be remembered, somewhat fondly here, I suspect.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

So sorry to hear of Jack's passing - he was an inspiration to us all. I always enjoyed his take on life and would have liked to have met him.

The place does seem to be a little quieter now.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Like Crl I've been trying to come to terms with this sad news. I also would have loved to meet him and his contributions to tis site will be sorely missed. That each of doesn't know the length of our life is so evident here. I treat each day as another blessed day in which to fulfil my destiny whatever that is.

My sympathies go out to his family.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I once commented that I wanted to be Jack Williams "when I grow up." I still do.

We are, as a group, largely older gents, (still not sure why, entirely) and we will be facing more departures from our ranks as time goes by. I would have liked to have met Jack as well, and many more of my fellow unbifurcated correspondents. Our global distribution reduces that likelihood, but I am grateful for the internet, this wonderous ether that has allowed us to become friends, and thinking of Tom, the originator of this site, who boldly reached out to find others of our ilk, who could share and support their distant brothers-in-skirts/kilts. Tom too has passed on, as has Dennis Lederle, and likely others. May I propose a memorial thread to remember these friends, perhaps as a sticky in Introductions?
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

what a shocking news. Murray was like an ambassador promoting dresses worn by men, He was a happy and creative men and it is a big loss for us.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Now here's a thing. Check the date this was posted.
http://niceskirtbro.tumblr.com/post/931 ... oray#notes
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Alas, it's a tumblr repost of this: http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 75#p137075

Probably from his flickr photostream. So, I doubt he's still posting elsewhere.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes. His last posts to this forum were on July 8th, just 7 days before his fatal cardiac seizure. Curious that he never once mentioned any physical or medical problems and judging by his purchase order of a model steam engine he hadn't intended leaving so soon. I suspect he may not have had the best medical supervision or advice (Medical hat on).

Anyway I will always remember him typified by his own (attached) picture relaxing on the beach from which he videoed himself swimming in his dress!
Jack Williams Aukland NZ..jpg
I'm sure he's happy now.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !