Latest acquisition

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Latest acquisition

Post by couyalair »

My newest garment I have already spoken about in two different threads, but since the forum will not let me read anything more than a week old, I cannot find either of those threads to reopen (does anyone know why there is this limit, or how to get around it?)
Two month s ago, some Pakistani utility kilts were on offer, about 39 € -- P&P included! -- on a site called Etsy.
As the standard men,s kilt had a 24 inch drop, too long for me, whereas the women,s version had various lengths, looked as if it had more room in the hips, too, and was cheaper(!), I ordered the latter. It arrived this week -- no fault of the suppliers. It had been sitting in some local transport office for over a month, right here in Grenoble.

I was not expecting top quality, but must say I am impressed by the precision sewing, straight pleats, firm waist band. I,m not sure I like the press stud closure since it gives no leeway. The cloth is tough cotton, so tough that it is much too stiff and sticks out A-line wise rather than hanging straight as I would prefer. Presumably this will improve after washing. There is one side pocket with stud closure. It is supposed to be a 31 inch waist, but is nearer 29, my only gripe, but still wearable for me.

I have just looked at the Etsy page, where Kiltailor still peddles his wares, apparently still with free delivery. The men,s version has studs on the front apron and two side pockets, and different lengths are possible now. Ok if You are cylindrical, which I am not.
<https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/1918061 ... =related-1>
The page is iN French, very obviously machine-translated from English. There is propabably and English version somewhere.

Martin
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Latest acquisition

Post by RichardA »

I have a kilt similar to that and have washed and washed it so many times and it still as stiff as cardboard, I do hope yours is better.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

Those are the same utility kilts offered by UnionKilt, Tartanistan and formerly UTkilt. Currently UTkilt offers a New design with a completely buttoned front. :D
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

couyalair wrote:... but since the forum will not let me read anything more than a week old, I cannot find either of those threads to reopen (does anyone know why there is this limit, or how to get around it?)
Try going to http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/ucp.php ... &mode=view (that is, User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Display Options) and readjust "Display [topics|posts] from previous n days" to a month or more.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

couyalair wrote:My newest garment I have already spoken about in two different threads, but since the forum will not let me read anything more than a week old, I cannot find either of those threads to reopen (does anyone know why there is this limit, or how to get around it?)

Martin
Hi Martin,
Go to 'active topics'. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/search. ... ive_topics

There should be a drop-down box with
"Display posts from previous" [7 days] followed by a button marked "Go"
The clickdown box should offer you several options up to [1 year]
Click on the box and choose whichever you want and then click on the "Go" button.
It should display all threads that have been posted on within the chosen period (even if some of those threads are even older)
Does that help?
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Thank you both. Yes, I have found the page to make adjustments.

Martin
Last edited by couyalair on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtilator wrote:Those are the same utility kilts offered by UnionKilt, Tartanistan and formerly UTkilt. Currently UTkilt offers a New design with a completely buttoned front. :D
Not sure about their current offerings, but it is not the same as the kilts they had in stock when I bought mine from Union Kilts... At that time their kilts were being made in Eastern Europe.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

RichardA wrote:I have a kilt similar to that and have washed and washed it so many times and it still as stiff as cardboard, I do hope yours is better.
After a second wash, the cloth is a little better, but I still fo not like the look o r feel of it.
I cycled into town in it on Sunday, the market was very crowded, and I do not k now if the kilt was noticed or not, but on the way back, a fellow at a stop light leaned out of his car and called "Pretty skirt!" And that is just how I feel about this utility kilt: it stands out from the body like a ballet tutu! Whereas other skirts are felt on the thighs, with this one, I feel quite naked as I can feel nothing on my legs at all!

Untilitsoftens up enough to hang nicely, it will be homewear . Disappointing. Now the weather is getting hot, I wanted to wear it to see What myscottish country dance friends thought of it ...

Martin