New skirts for men from Canada

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dynamo

Re: New skirts for men from Canada

Post by Dynamo »

crfriend wrote: What the author of the article misses, however, is that as women gravitated toward more masculine (the author uses the term "neutral", which I would dispute in context) styles it had the effect of pushing the guys farther and farther into a corner that there's no escape from. Like "getting painted into a corner", there's no way out until either the paint dries or the frustrated individual either takes out a wall or decides to say, "Screw it" and walk out over the fresh paint (both of which are rather rash acts).

But, a male author could not write about such things without getting called "whiny" or worse, so the guys "man up" and just take it. And the internal pressure rises a bit more.

Here here crfriend!!!!
Well said!
Let's change the world one skirt at a time!
http://www.apostrophe.cc
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

In the meantime, the Internet began to be a significant influence. Men interested in skirts were able to find each other, and those interested in providing skirts could contact these men.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Grok wrote:In the meantime, the Internet began to be a significant influence. Men interested in skirts were able to find each other, and those interested in providing skirts could contact these men.
LOL
You rock Grok!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote:
Dynamo wrote:There is plenty of documentation everywhere but how many people actually know this? :)
What the author of the article misses, however, is that as women gravitated toward more masculine (the author uses the term "neutral", which I would dispute in context) styles it had the effect of pushing the guys farther and farther into a corner that there's no escape from. Like "getting painted into a corner", there's no way out until either the paint dries or the frustrated individual either takes out a wall or decides to say, "Screw it" and walk out over the fresh paint (both of which are rather rash acts).

But, a male author could not write about such things without getting called "whiny" or worse, so the guys "man up" and just take it. And the internal pressure rises a bit more.
I do see one way out-unbifurcated garments that are specifically for men. As for "neutral" styles that does seem to be the trend for trousers; what were originally male styles have been adapted for women. Even the general dullness seems to have carried over-for example, womens' jeans tend to be just as drab as mens' jeans.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One obvious thing to do with trousers is to add a little color. But for womens' trousers this seems to used less than one might expect.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:One obvious thing to do with trousers is to add a little color. But for womens' trousers this seems to used less than one might expect.
If the target is trousers, and from a personal perspective I'd rather not see trousers as the default "neutral", then one could also gain traction with fit, fabric types, and perhaps printed or embroidered design. Reinterpretation of some 19th Century military-uniform designs might be interesting for instance.

However, I am much more in the mode to say the heck with convention and merely adapt existing styles in creative ways that work for my body-shape and stature. Fiddling temporally is always a joy for me which is why I tend to gravitate to Victorian and Edwardian basic looks, both above and below the waist.

Also, with the convergence of the "ideal" female body-type and the ideal body-type of men 50 years ago (slab-sided, muscular, and with small breasts), it means that more stuff on the "other side of the aisle" may actually fit pretty well whereas when the ideal womanly body was more like, say, Marilyn Monroe, that just didn't work and was going to be, for most guys, a non-starter. (Guys now seem to be expected to be either unbelievably "buff" or couch-dwelling potatoes with shapes to match; there doesn't seem to be much middle ground there, either. Guys tend to be able, for the most part, to shrug this off -- it can be deadly for the gals who starve themselves to get to the vaunted "size zero".)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Will the Neill actually be a skort?
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Grok wrote:Will the Neill actually be a skort?
I do not believe the Neil will be a formal "skort" (where the garment is a skirt in the front and shorts in the back). The skirt will wrap completely around but there will undershorts involved. This approach would eliminate Neil's concern about 'rubbing' while running.

We are still sorting out the final details for that garment :)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is the "David" essentially a sarong?
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Grok wrote:Is the "David" essentially a sarong?
The David is based off of a sarong. We are working with a few additional concepts like flaring out the bottom in contrast to the top in order to introduce more 'flow' to the garment. Once Alana (our main designer) has punched out the details we will let you know. I was hoping she could respond to your question personally but I think she had trouble setting up her account. I will keep you posted :)
jonkara

Post by jonkara »

Any news on this? I signed up because this caught my attention.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote:One obvious thing to do with trousers is to add a little color. But for womens' trousers this seems to used less than one might expect.
One thing for certain when it comes to colors for women's wear the Rainbow is fair game.
Reds - Greens - Purple - PINK - Oranges - and the usual Blacks and Browns and Pre Labor Day Whites (whoever came up with this damn fool rule?).
But let a rainbow into the mans wardrobe - it is the end of the fashion world as we know it !
My answer "Bu11 Sh1t" - if a man can wear a multi color tartan kilt why not other wardrobe items also.
We are talking about more than Santa wearing Red pants or Robin Hood wearing Green tights and Batman versus the Joker with a court jester colors;
enough is enough of this stereotype coloring of the male wardrobe.
Of course there is a degree of Fashion Sense here - some men are just getting around to sporting Pink while others have been wearing it early on as a
power statement. But certainly not as a full suit more like a polo or dress shirt. Pink pants are pushing the fashion envelope although Sport Kilt has a
promotion presently for a Pink Stewart Tartan Kilt (breast cancer awareness).
But what the hey it is just clothing and keeps us street legal from the fig leaf police.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Although my favourite colours are blue and black that has never stopped me from wearing bright colours. Yellow is another favoured colour and I actually wore yellow ( shirt, tie and trousers ) and brown ( jacket ) to my graduation ceremony. I was never told that there were any formal colours to wear! I have clothes of all sorts of colours - bright reds, blues, yellows, greens and so on. AND I DO WEAR THEM!! I see nothing wrong in bright colours but I do admit that some of the brightly coloured items were bought from the other side of the fence. Makes no difference to me - it's the overall look that is. MOH is a redhead ( well more titian now as she lightens off in the summer and darkens in the winter ) and reds don't look so good on her so she's not a fan of the colour. But I have no such reservations. I don't have much in pink though - but that's not through prejudice, just not seen anything in pink that I like. I have skirts in all sorts of colours - even pink.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Yes it is funny how even though we have the technology to make must about every bight and vivid color in fabric, much of what we see in fashion is bland and subdued. India obviously does not follow that trend but unfortunately the quality of their fabrics are often sub-par for many reasons. I would love to see more vivid color usage in general across fashion however we all will need to have the gumpshion to wear it. It should not take courage, we just need to actually wear what we like.
More power to you Sinned.
jonkara

Post by jonkara »

Are there any updates on this? Kind of hoping your storefront will be up for the holidays. Thank you.