Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Dennis,

Have a wonderful vacation :D
Enjoy yourself and BE yourself :!:

Most people at a resort complex & city, won't care
what you're wearing, just that you're wearing 'something'
other than your birthday suit :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

After a rather lengthy (about three years) kilt-only period I returned yesterday to occasional public skirting again, and had forgotten just how empowering it feels to be not one of the sheep.
I chose an 'olive drab' cotton knee length A line - vibrant colours are not my thing outside of the front gate - but hadn't realised just how high it would ride when sitting in the cafe. To me four inches above the knee is getting a bit saucy. Anyway I just kept my legs together and everything was fine. The cafe, my usual daytime haunt at the Sainsbury's supermarket which is just a five minute drive away, was packed out for afternoon toasted teacakes and mugs of extortionately priced tea. (How DO they justify £1.10 for a halfpenny teabag in a mug of hot water?)
Babies were screaming, toddlers racing about and mothers taking no notice. The cashier spent ten minutes trying to refund the person in front of me after screwing up her order. With so much chaos going on I don't think anyone bothered much about the skirt.
All regulars at the cafe will already know me as the man in a kilt, which I'd continued to prefer to wear almost every day for well over a year now. Why did I stop wearing a skirt beyond my property? I don't know. It just didn't feel right for some reason. Kilts are a lot easier to explain away I suppose, if questioned, and I do receive complimentary comments about them now and then. I have a gut feeling that no-one around here will approach me and start any conversation about a skirt. I could be wrong, but I don't particularly want to have to get into heavy conversations with anyone over wearing skirts anyway.
Pete
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've got a few folks who almost always notice and compliment me on things I've managed to put together well. For instance, yesterday, the bartender at the place I frequent on weekends just about gushed when she saw my long purple skirt, red waistcoat, and black shirt: "I love your outfit! It's beautiful! Where'd you get it?"

Questions were answered, and when I mentioned one of my favourite suppliers it brought a quiet comment of, "I may be in trouble now." No two (visible) components came from the same source, so this was a massive mix/match endeavour. That it brightened another's day was a big bonus atop me really liking the look myself.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Sinned wrote:All please note that I am going with my family to Egypt on Monday on holiday and I'm not taking anything that would give me access to the internot so if you don't hear from me don't worry. I am taking my sarongs which MOH has accepted as my normal daily holiday wear. I am also taking mainly vests and strappy tops from Matalan's Other Side Of The Aisle. I'm taking shorts as well to swim in and as a change from the sarongs. I am also taking a couple of short skirts just for the hell of it. MOH seems to think that I could be locked up for dressing like a woman but sarongs and skirts would only be worn on the complex. If we go shopping, likely, then I would wear shorts off complex. I don't expect any problems. I have been wearing my tops all summer with zero comment even from MOH although I sometimes detect a hint of disapproval in the way she looks at me.
I went to Egypt in 2004 and wore sarongs out and about most of the time with no adverse reaction other than a bit of teasing from one or two of the natives. Don't forget to wash your hands after handling the money - not doing so is a great way to get 'nile tummy' which for me was cured by a couple of injections in the rear end :o
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Charlie, it's about our fifth or sixth time in Egypt, can't remember which, and I've worn sarongs there most of the time without any problems. I would wear a skirt more often but MOH presents a serious obstacle. Each year she relents a little and maybe this year will be a bit better. In previous years I have had to sit separate from the family when in a skirt in the restaurant, silly isn't it, because a sarong, folded lengthwise, is no different to a skirt. This time I am determined to make a stand especially as all my family now know I wear a skirt.

UA I am being me and recognise that there is a significant portion of me that tends female. I accept it I just need one other person to accept it. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:[...] I am being me and recognise that there is a significant portion of me that tends female. I accept it I just need one other person to accept it. :D
Are you less a provider for that? Less than an ardent and faithful lover? Less than a steadfast companion and friend? Less than a proud and loving father? Just because you've put both legs down a single tube of fabric? I'd posit not. Are the above too remote a concept for your life-partner to recognise and accept? If so, what gives?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Sinned wrote:UA I am being me and recognise that there is a significant portion of me
that tends female. I accept it I just need one other person to accept it. :D
Well, best wishes on all fronts :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Interesting.

Went to the VA today, decided to leave my shoulder bag behind and wore my above-the-knee denim skirt with cargo pockets, front zipper, and belt under a white turtleneck and over Suntan hose. Gathered a few dour looks from some older gentlemen on entry to the sign-in room but they went back to their conversation.

As usual, no apparent notice from medical personnel or other staff.

After I saw the doc, I had to go across the length of the building to the Pharmacy for my prescription and while traversing the hall about halfway down this lovely, tall young lady wearing an emerald-green dress (short-sleeved and falling to mid-thigh with a button front with lapels) saw me, grinned hugely and waved. I waved back, but then she got buzzed in and entered 'Logistics and Supply'.

May have to go back about that same time a few more times and hope to catch her again, close enough to say something. Then go back along that same hall after getting something at the store or after eating at the canteen. 8)

Friday I was in Suntan hose (though I think this outfit works better with black) and a black straight-skirt, a tucked-in black-and-gray long-sleeve turtleneck and a gray blazer. And that decorative exterior 'belt.' Stopped at the bank and was on my way in when a lady came out so I just back-stepped and held the door for her. She gave me the down-and-up glance and also smiled broadly.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

[quote="Darryl"]Interesting.

Went to the VA today, decided to leave my shoulder bag behind and wore my above-the-knee denim skirt with cargo pockets, front zipper, and belt under a white turtleneck and over Suntan hose. Gathered a few dour looks from some older gentlemen on entry to the sign-in room but they went back to their conversation.

I have been to the VA an number of times (hearing Problems ) I was extremely nervous my first time in a skirt because if anyplace is a bastion of Masculinity its the VA.

No response at all not from the Staff or the other vets. Are you in a VFW Thats about the only place I haven't gone in a skirt A few members of the post have already seen me in a skirt but I still haven't gone to the hall yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Darryl wrote:Interesting.

I have been to the VA an number of times (hearing Problems ) I was extremely nervous my first time in a skirt because if anyplace is a bastion of Masculinity its the VA.

No response at all not from the Staff or the other vets. Are you in a VFW Thats about the only place I haven't gone in a skirt A few members of the post have already seen me in a skirt but I still haven't gone to the hall yet.
Not a VFW member, no campaign ribbon, no hostile fire pay. Got 3 months tax-free sitting off-shore on USS Kittyhawk. Did go ashore once carrying the Captain's radio on the 73-74 cruise, all the shouting was over by the 75 cruise. Did AIMD maintenance on the A-7's Navigation/Weapons Delivery computer.

OTOH I have been in a VFW Post that also housed a Pizza start-up by the owner's son a number of times before he got his own place. Except for the skirt I looked like a guy, talked like a guy, etc. and was civil and polite. "Do unto others..." and all that.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FWIW, I was a guest at a crowded American Legion hall on a Saturday afternoon a couple of months ago, after a hike with my hiking club, and no one reacted in the slightest to my utility kilt.

The president of the local chapter asked if I was a veteran, and I said that I was, and then be tried to get me to join, kilt and all.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well I'm back. It was a very hot and relaxing couple of seeks. I wore a sarong most of the time. MOH mentioned it after 3 or 4 days and I mentioned one night that I was going to go out ina skirt and that was frowned upon but in that conversation I sort of backed her into a verbal corner to the effect that she agreed that a sarong was acceptable wear for me. PPPPRRRROOOOGGGGRRRREEEESSSS. To digress. On Thursday 12.10.17 I mostly lost my hearing. I had a slight outer canal infection which I cleared up with ear drops but the hearing aids I wear were completely ineffectual. I tried retubing, new batteries, all sorts to no avail. I am still mostly deaf now although I have an appointment at the Audiology Clinic tomorrow so will probably get it sorted. It's a bit scary only hearing very minimally. Anyway for the last four days of the holiday I was communicating in writing, basic signs and lip reading. That being said i did go out in a skirt on the penultimate evening after the meal and whilst the others were out doing something or other. Nobody on my travels noticed. They were back when I returned and I got very stern looks from MOH and I think she mentioned something about deciding what to do with the house and the word solicitor I think was mentioned but as I was deaf I couldn't be sure. Just over-reaction, been through it before. Anyway on the last day our flight wasn't until 22:05 so we had most of the day around the pool and tea as well. I wore my sarong as usual and when I still had it on at tea time she asked if I was going to wear it on the journey home and I said that I hadn't decided. I had a pair of shorts in my flight bag just in case. I couldn't wear the jeans I arrived in as too much food and drink meant that I had put on a bit of belly fat and the jeans wouldn't fit. So I reminded her that a sarong was acceptable wear and yes I did wear the sarong all the way back to our front door. A novel experience and in the pat downs, and there were 4 or 4 of them, the guards just didn't know what to do with me. I was waved through 2 and the others were very cursory upper half and the outside only of my legs. Would I do it again. The hell yes. I was more comfortable on the plane with no tightness as one swells in the lower air pressure. A bit of a shock going from mid 30's Centi in Egypt down to 13 over here. But as I said to MOH shorts wouldn't have been any warmer.

An interesting piece to this. When it was apparent that the jeans would be too tight she said that she could lend me a pair of leggings. I just about split my sides and I think she realised what she had just suggested. I said that that was the most ridiculous offering I have heard from her for a long time. She could see that even from her point of view her leggings were women's wear just as she thinks that skirts are only women's wear. I said that I would feel more ridiculous wearing leggings that a skirt. I HATE leggings and that's pretty much all MOH wears nowadays. I'm hoping her suggestion may have started the thinking about the illogicality of her feelings but I doubt it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

You should have taken her leggings and worn them under your skirt :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sounds like a great holiday!

Speaking of which, best of luck with your hearing. Here's to a full recovery!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife and I are nature and wildlife photographers and travel quite a bit. We spent last weekend in a small desert town with some upscale amenities and a state park with a lot of various scenery and wildlife. We stayed in a nice hotel, ate in restaurants, shopped in local stores, visited various points of interest, gas stations, convenience stores, and visited the park headquarters speaking with rangers, docents, other visitors, etc. We wore skirts for the entire weekend. Mine were two different camouflage patterns. I was very comfortable out and about.

NO ONE noticed what I was wearing, stared, commented, giggled, or had any other reaction. There were a couple of times I even forgot I was in a skirt. One time in particular when I was getting out of my truck without looking around first and exposed a lot of thigh. There was a man behind me about 30 feet away, who didn't see.

I used to be very self conscious and paranoid to be seen in a skirt. I don't flaunt or try to be noticed, but don't try to hide either. My skirts are above the knee which I consider to be optimum for walking and driving. They do pull up when sitting in a chair. Each time we were in restaurants I positioned myself to be less visible from the side, and particularly up my skirt from the front. It was a good trip in many ways. Lots of interesting natural landscapes and land formations, foliage, water courses, and earthquake faults.