Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Oneoff

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by Oneoff »

People do notice. I was walking towards a grocery store through the parking lot one morning while wearing a knee length navy blue pencil skirt, a light blue men's long sleeve shirt, hose and 3 inch heels. A woman was walking out the door of the store, heading directly towards me into the parking lot, about 15 yards away. I was intentionally watching her face and when she saw me the look on her face was "WHAT!?!", followed closely by a "That's not right" or a slightly disapproving look, followed by one of "Whatever". All this transpired in less than 5 seconds. I almost stopped her as we were passing to tell her she should NEVER play poker for money...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:...I think it has a lot to do with confidence. If you act confident, you don't stand out, no matter what you have on.
Exactly. This is what is meant by, "carrying a look off."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Oneoff wrote:...the look on her face was "WHAT!?!", followed closely by a "That's not right" or a slightly disapproving look, followed by one of "Whatever"...
This is a relatively common reaction. The important part is the, "Whatever," as that signals acceptance.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:The important part is the, "Whatever," as that signals acceptance.
That may also signal that the observer may just be shutting down on the matter without acceptance. The only way to really ascertain acceptance or not is to engage in conversation, and sometimes that really isn't possible.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:That may also signal that the observer may just be down on the matter without acceptance. The only way to really ascertain acceptance or not is to engage in conversation, and sometimes that really isn't possible.
As long as they shut down without overt action, that's acceptance enough for me.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:As long as they shut down without overt action, that's acceptance enough for me.
Good enough, then!

A fun bit, though, in that regard is if you ever do get a chance to interact and converse and the matter comes up -- and then the light goes on in their heads and they "get it". That's acceptance -- and in my experience it really only comes with interaction and work.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:A fun bit, though, in that regard is if you ever do get a chance to interact and converse and the matter comes up -- and then the light goes on in their heads and they "get it". That's acceptance -- and in my experience it really only comes with interaction and work.
True, and info enjoy those conversations, but usually either the gazer or I have other things to do besides stop and talk.

In the last week, though, I did have a woman in my hiking club remark that she'd grown so accustomed to seeing me in a kilt that she couldn't imagine seeing me differently.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Caultron, now that certainly is acceptance. The stage I'm at is that I can put on a skirt without having to think about it, except which one among the many I have, and wear it without being conscious that I am wearing it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:Caultron, now that certainly is acceptance. The stage I'm at is that I can put on a skirt without having to think about it, except which one among the many I have, and wear it without being conscious that I am wearing it.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:Caultron, now that certainly is acceptance. The stage I'm at is that I can put on a skirt without having to think about it, except which one among the many I have, and wear it without being conscious that I am wearing it.
Yes, the question isn't whether or not to wear a skirt, but which one.

Here I am in a recent Facebook post that's gotten 57 likes so far:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 558&type=3

and here in another that's gotten 79:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 558&type=3

I guess that indicates some level of acceptance as well.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

That's my stage too, for most of my collection. Lately I've been pushing my own aesthetic limits and have rediscovered being self-conscious. The limits I've been pushing are the gendered ones (ie. not "decency" limits). In addition to wearing a couple of pretty long circle skirts I made I've actually found some tops in the plus size ladies wear stores that suit me both physically and aesthetically. Wife and friends react to these as being "way over the feminine line" (paraphrasing for brevity), so I know it's not just me being a nervous nellie.

It's not my project to cross any gender lines. I have zero interest in that as such but do not want to be limited by those lines. I'm finding it's just the same as wearing a "masculine" kilt for the first time, remembering thoughts like "how will people react", "will they think I'm trans or gay or something", "will I be treated less seriously or like a weirdo", and so on. I'm pretty glad those old days of self-consciousness are gone and I look forward to a day when being a bit more femme aesthetically will also feel like nothing.
Daryl...
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

If you like skirts but don't like being noticed try this: Iron a crease from the reverse side front and rear so it looks more like you are wearing shorts. It would be less noticeable.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If you like skirts but don't like being noticed try this: Iron a crease from the reverse side front and rear so it looks more like you are wearing shorts. It would be less noticeable.
I'm pretty sure I've experienced this with some skirts that might say "shorts" in people's minds unless they looked very closely. Black skirts are particularly likely to be taken as shorts, I think. I often see people in black shorts and think they are wearing skirts, so the reverse seems equally likely.

A skirt with a box pleat in the front and a box pleat in the back will be very difficult to distinguish from shorts, if you are standing so that the pleats remain closed. But the effect may not be what you want because generally men's shorts are not as wide as some women's shorts can be, and people might think you're wearing women's shorts. Some women's shorts are made to create the illusion that they are actually skirts.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If you like skirts but don't like being noticed try this: Iron a crease from the reverse side front and rear so it looks more like you are wearing shorts. It would be less noticeable.
Most of my skirts will not hold a crease like that for more than a few minutes, so to me it is a waste of time. I just wear the skirt as a skirt and be done with it.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

All please note that I am going with my family to Egypt on Monday on holiday and I'm not taking anything that would give me access to the internot so if you don't hear from me don't worry. I am taking my sarongs which MOH has accepted as my normal daily holiday wear. I am also taking mainly vests and strappy tops from Matalan's Other Side Of The Aisle. I'm taking shorts as well to swim in and as a change from the sarongs. I am also taking a couple of short skirts just for the hell of it. MOH seems to think that I could be locked up for dressing like a woman but sarongs and skirts would only be worn on the complex. If we go shopping, likely, then I would wear shorts off complex. I don't expect any problems. I have been wearing my tops all summer with zero comment even from MOH although I sometimes detect a hint of disapproval in the way she looks at me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.